The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Pet Northerner
Don
Yes, otherwise they would have gone all out and remade the Peter Jackson trilogy. Maybe it is a relief they did not get the chance! When I say PJ trilogy, I mean the trilogy based on the books.
That’s what the DO have.

The simarilian and the other later works they lack, which is one of the challenges with rings of power.

Caporegime
Its not 50 either, its something like 65

Although they are overlapped so quite possibly there are 100 but some a 99% overlapped

Anyway this like so many conversations in regards RPO are just childish baiting

"That boat wouldnt hold 100 people and horses"
meanwhile "tell me more about these magic rings the elf is going to forge" ;)

Brokebrain still doesn't get it...

Caporegime
I dont get the shiops. Numenor is meant to be a massive power with a massive fleet and yet they seem to only have 5 ships available and two were sunk so they can now only send 3 ships and 300 men???

They literally said it was a small scouting force, they're not sending their full might. (Although why they can't replace the two boats I don't know).

Soldato

“We took all these little clues and thought of them as stars in the sky that we then connected to write the novel that Tolkien never wrote about the Second Age,” Payne says.

We worked in conjunction with world-renowned Tolkien scholars and the Tolkien estate to make sure that the ways we connected the dots were Tolkienian and gelled with the experts’ and the estate’s understanding of the material,” Payne says.

:cry:

Caporegime
Get over it, some others joined and ruined your circle jerk of hatred for something you hadn't seen.

There seem to be more positive than negative people in here from a quick count up.

You still hearing the "jamaican" that no one else can?

I'm curious what it is I haven't seen?

And the accent? Weird...the Guardian article I linked previously specifically mentions it. Perhaps you should open your ears.

Caporegime

“We took all these little clues and thought of them as stars in the sky that we then connected to write the novel that Tolkien never wrote about the Second Age,” Payne says.

We worked in conjunction with world-renowned Tolkien scholars and the Tolkien estate to make sure that the ways we connected the dots were Tolkienian and gelled with the experts’ and the estate’s understanding of the material,” Payne says.

:cry:

Which is rubbish since the one Tolkien expert they did have didn't continue to work with them!

Associate
Just watched most recent episode and enjoyed it. Popped in here and can see the usual dribbling nonsense. You’d think they’d just had their eyelids peeled back and forced to watch it on repeat.
Also rather amusing those bashing the armour and Galadriel pops up with a fantastic looking set (of armour pervert).
“but she hasn’t got neck protection, it’s the worst show ever!”, bore off and get back to watching it on repeat you masochists.

Edit: I’m Irish and couldn’t give a fig about the accents, if that helps salve people anxieties they might be offending us. For balance and all cos someone wrote an opinion piece in the guardian

Last edited:
Soldato
Which is rubbish since the one Tolkien expert they did have didn't continue to work with them!

I know, says Payne the man with no resume whatsoever. It's laughable. You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to join the dots here with what happened with Tom Shippey. Same with Peter Jackson, who they ghosted.

What's increasingly of interest to me is where did they money actually go? Because if you take away the money spent on the rights, and the surface level CGI, which impresses some, but not me, it didn't go on the creatives, and it didn't go on the cast of nobodies (and there's an article floating around about salaries, I have no idea whether this is accurate or not, but it makes sense that given the calibre of cast - there's no Charles Dance here as an example, or the myriad of top notch stars who worked on LOTR or GoT - the list is endless).

It did not go on "scale" as we have seen, as it looks in that regard very cheap indeed. So where did it go?

What's more surprising as I look back, is as this was the most expensive TV show ever made, by one the World's top 3 richest corporate entities, where was the promotion really?

Yeah, some trailers, the Oxford shills tour, the "influencers" disaster, buying reviews - but really? what else? - I think they knew what they had was crap and they spent their time and some money trying to limit the damage.

Now we have the show, and it all makes sense why they'd try and limit the damage.

Be interesting to see where they take S3-5 and what changes they make, I think it's probably too late to save S2 - but are we going to see more corporate hubris or a real and sincere attempt to make good?

Soldato
Just watched most recent episode and enjoyed it. Popped in here and can see the usual dribbling nonsense. You’d think they’d just had their eyelids peeled back and forced to watch it on repeat.
Also rather amusing those bashing the armour and Galadriel pops up with a fantastic looking set (of armour pervert).
“but she hasn’t got neck protection, it’s the worst show ever!”, bore off and get back to watching it on repeat you masochists.

Edit: I’m Irish and couldn’t give a fig about the accents, if that helps salve people anxieties they might be offending us. For balance and all cos someone wrote an opinion piece in the guardian

What did you enjoy about it?

Oh and by the way their initial review was it was basically the best thing since sliced bread, why are they changing their tune? the accents they were so offended by (or rather now offended because The Irish Times took umbrage with them) which were present in EP-1/2?

Seems an odd pivot to me?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I listen to the Empire podcast a lot, Chris Hewitt and Helen O'Hara are both from Northern Ireland and said they have no issue with the accents of the Half-foots.

They said it's just a regional accent that's been ascribed to their characters, same way the Dwarves are Scottish.

Soldato
I listen to the Empire podcast a lot, Chris Hewitt and Helen O'Hara are both from Northern Ireland and said they have no issue with the accents of the Half-foots.

They said it's just a regional accent that's been ascribed to their characters, same way the Dwarves are Scottish.

So why were The Irish Times so upset and why has The Guardian decided to highlight it?

Caporegime

Northern Ireland is a very different place to the Republic. With very different accents.

Soldato
I'm curious what it is I haven't seen?

And the accent? Weird...the Guardian article I linked previously specifically mentions it. Perhaps you should open your ears.

I haven't read the entire thread, I got three episodes into Rings of Power and dropped it like the absolute garbage it is.

On the other hand, a good Irish friend of mine who is a massive JRR nerd that has been losing her **** over the show linked me the following article a little while back: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...ith-stage-irish-accents-thats-1bn-well-spent/

If its been posted before apologies, but Christ it made me laugh for all the wrong reasons.

Soldato
I am aware.

They were still speaking to the exact issue and offering their opinion, having heard many bad accents in movies.

But don't you think there's a lot of stereotyping that goes on in movies and TV though?

The Southlanders for example - no surprise these peasants dressed in rags are all Northerners? But their leader, nice blue dress, one of their number doesn't have that accent - weird huh?

Was it really a huge surprise that the intinerant Harfoots, were portrayed as - let's face it, as "der little people" doesn't sound very diverse to me? skin colour fine? but accents? nah - let's just make 'em all fit a stereotype - same with the Dwarves, for some reason, they're Scottish why? goes back to PJ as well before you throw that in, what is about the Scots as they're seen as somehow an underground race?

Seems odd and at odds with diversity?

Interesting subject I think.

Where are the Welsh in all this? where are their rep if they're reflecting the real world? where are West Country accents? where are Cockneys? where are Midlanders?

You see the problem with all this? It's when you decide as a massive show/movie that diversity and rep reflecting the "real World" can only go so far, and in doing so you apply stereotyes you're happy with, as if they don't matter?

My opinion is this and has always been, you shouldn't force the "real World" into a fantasy setting.

This is not a ROP problem, it's a problem throughout entertainment though.

Soldato
In short, diversity, rep, and not stereotyping people by race, skin colour, nationality, regoin, accent and class only goes as far as certain people deem acceptable.

A good example would be in RoP where there are asian people, but only is split second images, and certainly not in any roles with agency.

Weird isn't it? It's almost like some races, skin colours, accents, regoins and classes are more equal than others?

It seems to me that a lot modern movies/TV despite trumpeting from the rooftops how diverse etc they are are quite happy to reinforce other stereotypes that they're fine with.

Just weird how certain groups tick the right boxes and others don't...almost as if it were a load of old ******** to begin with, designed to divide et impera the 95% of people who actually have common cause as they're just trying to make a living in an increasingly dystopian world. Thought I'm sure there's no precedent for that througout History...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom