The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Caporegime
  • Conceded a club record amount of goals
  • Ended with a negative goal difference
surely reason for sacking the manager alone.
Embarrassing for what's meant to be one of the top clubs, with a top manager.

Plus your ranking goes down if you don't play. Everyone should be aiming at getting in Europe and progressing as far as they can.
part of UEFA payments are based on

3/ ten-year performance-based coefficient rankings

So MANUTD will surely drop places in the rankings and once they are back in Europe they will get less money.
seems for 2024 it was a 600mil pool shared between 32 clubs with the higher coefficient clubs getting a higher share

I think the rankings also decide what pots you go into etc as well.

if NUFC get some europe the money really helps them a lot, so it could harm manutd more than people realise.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the additional revenue is significant, and we should be able to manage. We've had no European midweek games for the second half of this season and our form has got worse if anything!
Even in the Europa Conversation? Sorry, Europa Conference. Suppose the money and UEFA co-efficients are both things we need to be chasing. I just have a feeling that the squad will be severely trimmed over the summer which would suit playing fewer games.

Don
Really don't get the hype, hasn't even done that good a job at Brighton tbh
Things fell away in the final few months of this season but overall he's done really well. He took Brighton to 6th last season which for a club their size is a ridiculous achievement. They then lost two huge players for them in Mac Allister and Caicedo which was always going to set them back and yet were still pushing for a European spot going into the final few weeks of the season. 11th when you take into account the resources available to them and the players they lost is far from a poor season for them.

Caporegime
He did well at Sassuolo too with less resources than the clubs around him. It just remains to be seen whether he's capable of the step up. Also how much of Brighton's success is him and how much is the great structure they have? They've struggled a lot this season and their form this year in particular has been appalling.

Soldato

There's the new United Manager....

Not sure how I feel about that but I'd be stunned if they didn't go after him
I have some slight inside info that this is the case. There is a connection back to Southampton and Ineos. I think he will be viewed as a better bet than ten Hag. He's more charismatic and media friendly for a start but not derided by the fans. Betfair has him at 3-1 favourite. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with this.

Oh yeah and my source says de Zerbi is going Chelsea

Last edited:
Soldato
If ten Hag goes, whoever is appointed we're going to be having the exact same discussions in 2-3 years.

It's different now and hopefully for the better with ineos making the football decisions and changing the structure

It's not gonna happen over night still have players to get rid off who are on big contracts and going forward hopefully get the right players in and cost

Also people say ten hag should be sacked but no one really giving stand out candidates that should replace him, what has poch done ?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's different now and hopefully for the better with ineos making the football decisions and changing the structure

It's not gonna happen over night still have players to get rid off who are on big contracts and going forward hopefully get the right players in and cost

Also people say ten hag should be sacked but no one really giving stand out candidates that should replace him, what has poch done ?
Champions League Final with Spurs
Domestic Leagues and Cups with PSG
Arguably he's the strongest available candidate if you rule out Mourinho.

Caporegime
Poch would be a terrible appointment imo but I guess where there's smoke.....

I was hoping they would have given ETH a chance. The injuries this season have been diabolical plus all the rubbish he has had to deal with Sancho, Ronaldo etc which weren't even his buys.

Soldato

He has done as bad as ten hag this season without as many injuries and with about 1 billion spent ?

Domestic cups and league with PSG in farmers league? Really ???

Ten hag won leagues and domestic cups with Ajax and made champions league semi final?

Last edited:
Caporegime

He got there is such a spawny and lucky way. That Ajax team demolished plenty of big teams that season. Not only that but he lost big game players and rebuilt a new squad quite quickly. They were a joy to watch. ETH was also the fastest manager to 50 wins at United believe it or not and first to 100 wins with Ajax too.

Way too much has gone on this season plus the squad is a joke really. Do you honestly think Klopp or Pep would have done better with having to play Casemiro at CB!?

Ineos has done sweet fa with Nice and the French league must be one of the easiest to make an impact on yet they have done nothing.

We laugh at Liverpool waiting 30 years but we will be worse at this rate.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought even with De Zerbi available that Erik was safe for another season (or part thereof) but with Pochettino available I think he'll be taking up the Utd job. He was the favourite to get it when Erik was appointed wasn't he? Weren't there stories that the players wanted Pochettino at the time?

Soldato
He has done as bad as ten hag this season

Domestic cups with PSG in farmers league? Really ???

Ten hag won leagues and domestic cups with Ajax and made champions league semi final?
Actually he's done better than ten Hag this season in the league.
Is Ligue 1 more of a farmers league than Eredevisie?
Pochettino did same in Paris.

I think INEOS made the decision already personally, either to stick with ETH or replace him so I think that rules Poch out unless something has been going on behind the scenes.
Hmmm - behind the scenes moves. Really ;)

He got there is such a spawny and lucky way. That Ajax team demolished plenty of big teams that season. Not only that but he lost big game players and rebuilt a new squad quite quickly. They were a joy to watch. ETH was also the fastest manager to 50 wins at United believe it or not and first to 100 wins with Ajax too.

Way too much has gone on this season plus the squad is a joke really. Do you honestly think Klopp or Pep would have done better with having to play Casemiro at CB!?

Ineos has done sweet fa with Nice and the French league must be one of the easiest to make an impact on yet they have done nothing.

We laugh at Liverpool waiting 30 years but we will be worse at this rate.
Ineos are the defacto owner and will make the decision I think it's logical that they will bring in their own man.
Personally, like I said before - I'm ambivalent about the manager appointment. I'd like to support ten Hag but this year has been so bad, the worst in my memory that I feel he's on borrowed time. Ineos will be judged on how they reshape the squad.

Soldato
Actually he's done better than ten Hag this season in the league.
Is Ligue 1 more of a farmers league than Eredevisie?
Pochettino did same in Paris.

Hmmm - behind the scenes moves. Really ;)

Ineos are the defacto owner and will make the decision I think it's logical that they will bring in their own man.
Personally, like I said before - I'm ambivalent about the manager appointment. I'd like to support ten Hag but this year has been so bad, the worst in my memory that I feel he's on borrowed time. Ineos will be judged on how they reshape the squad.

You tell me which one is more farmers league? Imo it's french league the amount PSG spend Yeah he really smashed the league didn't he ? Did he have as much injuries? And having to play a midfielder in defence?

Don't get me wrong some decisions ten hag made didn't agree on like consistently picking Rashford when should have been dropped long ago

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Manager thoughts, assuming ETH goes:

I will caveat this by saying I consider ETH a failure and don't particularly rate him as a coach, so most managers are a potential improvement.

I would be delighted with Pochettino, I've always been a fan and while he hasn't set the world alight in terms of trophies, he's never had the ideal setting for it - yet. Man Utd would be a great project if INEOS can work something out with him.

Tuchel I am on the fence about, he seems more of a short term manager and not really someone you'd choose for a longer term project. I think it's less likely.

De Zerbi would be interesting, more of an unknown quantity, but he's done well at Brighton overall.

Potter is a bit meh, but he was highly rated and in a similar sort of situation to De Zerbi.

Southgate surely can't happen.

Back
Top Bottom