The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Man of Honour
OP
I wanted ETH and hoped he would do well, but he's fallen off a cliff this season and I doubt he'll be able to pull himself back up. It doesn't really happen these days, when a manager plumbs new depths, they don't generally recover.

Even if he was doing quite well, I think there's a fair chance INEOS would boot him to get their own man in. The fact he's been atrocious this season (even accounting for injuries etc) makes it almost an inevitability.

I do think there's a slim chance it could all hang on the FA Cup. Winning that would mean a trophy plus Europa League, but again, it probably won't matter. Massively unlikely we win it anyway. Plus, they'd likely have to give him a new contract to keep him which makes it even less likely.

If we're just comparing trophies, you should be desperate for Tuchel. Wipes the floor with ETH in terms of silverware and prestige.

Soldato
Baz please delete if not allowed or PM me so I can give you full details,
does any of the Manu forum members want to buy 3 club Wembley seats for the final on Saturday, my son in laws uncle has a club Wembley corporate account, they are inner circle with food voucher.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Just confirms what we already knew. We have been pretty much the worst hit side injury wise and unsurprisingly, Arsenal and City have had the most consistent sides in the league due to their lack of injuries.

Man of Honour
OP
Pinches of salt required of course, but there are numerous semi-reliable reports we're interested in the following managers, primarily:
  • McKenna
  • Tuchel
  • Pochettino
  • Frank
On paper Tuchel is the outstanding candidate, but he may not really fit into what INEOS want to build - we don't really know what that is yet.

Apparently no firm decision made on ETH as yet, maybe an FA Cup win would swing it, but that's not likely.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I just think Tuchel potentially brings too much drama, and we need a manager that is going to keep his nose clean. Last thing we need is another dressing room revolt or something similar, so if it's out of those 4, I'm going Frank

I'd love McKenna, would be brilliant to be that forward thinking as I genuinely think he's going to be a brilliant PL manager, just don't think he's quite ready for that kind of step up just yet. Although given the time our squad will take to rebuild if we shift the deadwood, maybe now is the perfect time to take a chance on a manager like that

Soldato
I just think Tuchel potentially brings too much drama, and we need a manager that is going to keep his nose clean. Last thing we need is another dressing room revolt or something similar, so if it's out of those 4, I'm going Frank

I'd love McKenna, would be brilliant to be that forward thinking as I genuinely think he's going to be a brilliant PL manager, just don't think he's quite ready for that kind of step up just yet. Although given the time our squad will take to rebuild if we shift the deadwood, maybe now is the perfect time to take a chance on a manager like that
I worry that if we had McKenna, there’d be players sowing dissent about him like before and not playing for him as they would a new manager. Knows too many of the former staff (though this could be a seen as a good thing too, I suppose, but it’s Utd, so not a given) and unless he gets a say on getting rid of the remaining troublemakers, it may be the wrong time.

I’d still prefer Poch over Tuchel. Tuchel just seems like he wouldn’t be a 3+ season appointment. Though again, maybe that’s not what we need while everything is changing.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I’d still prefer Poch over Tuchel. Tuchel just seems like he wouldn’t be a 3+ season appointment. Though again, maybe that’s not what we need while everything is changing.

With the right structure, 3 years for a manager isn't an issue. You just need to make sure that you are getting rid of managers when you should and not building sides for a particular manager. Ideally your manager stays long term but thats increasingly rare at the top level. Wouldn't be surprised to see Liverpool go through a lot of managers over the next few years.

Man of Honour
OP
Not sure happy is the right word, but I am not disappointed.

The players are equally at fault, but I have seen very little from ETH that suggests he'll be able to turn things around. This season has been a complete disaster, and you can't just blame injuries and offer nothing else.

Edit ::

Also slightly typical it leaks right on the eve of the cup final. However, that seems to be down to the interest in McKenna from other clubs. If we assume this is true, then that must mean he's the top target for INEOS.

I know he's done brilliantly at Ipswich, but it's a hell of a gamble.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure happy is the right word, but I am not disappointed.

The players are equally at fault, but I have seen very little from ETH that suggests he'll be able to turn things around. This season has been a complete disaster, and you can't just blame injuries and offer nothing else.

I think it’s a shame it could have not been held back news-wise until Sunday, at least. Though maybe the players might turn up on the day and actually put a performance in.

Have to admit, I was really keen on ETH for the first 9 months, but he really wore me down this season with his weird decisions on the pitch, his stubbornness and persistence with Antony and not trying different methods until the final few games.

And definitely a gamble if the McKenna rumours are true, for both parties. Can’t believe he wouldn’t want to see it through with Ipswich after all he’s done, but when the big clubs come a’callin…

Last edited:
Associate
Leaked from our Toxic players no doubt. McKenna is looking good with his record over the last two seasons. What worries me is any relationships he might have (good or bad) with our previously mentioned toxic squad.

Soldato
maybe a wild thought but Poch could have been lured from Chelsea , announcement after FA cup final?

ETH has put on a brave face and presumed he is staying but we'll have to wait and see.

Personally he has to stay for another year at least

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom