The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Man of Honour
OP
There's a belief that giving a manager time means they can turn it around - despite very little evidence of this ever being the case. An upward trajectory is a must. 2 full seasons is a long time in football.

Just because sacking managers hasn't worked in the past either, doesn't mean you should stick with a manager who is so obviously failing.

There are 3 main elements of a club, the sporting directors and senior staff members, the manager, and the players. All three elements have generally been a failure over the past decade.

Presumably they're on with Xavi's people now, unless he's already got something lined up?

Man Utd? No sign of that as yet. Seems to be McKenna, Tuchel or Pochettino.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
There's a belief that giving a manager time means they can turn it around - despite very little evidence of this ever being the case. An upward trajectory is a must. 2 full seasons is a long time in football.

Just because sacking managers hasn't worked in the past either, doesn't mean you should stick with a manager who is so obviously failing.

But it hasn't worked in...*checks notes*...*blink*...wow, that many, huh...right, since you last won the league you've had eight managers, including caretakers and Rangnick as an interim.

And is he so obviously failing? Or is that season actually a pretty fair reflection of where Manchester United are now?

Man Utd? No sign of that as yet. Seems to be McKenna, Tuchel or Pochettino.

I'd be amazed if they don't at least ask what his attitude to an approach would be.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
But it hasn't worked in...*checks notes*...*blink*...wow, that many, huh...right, since you last won the league you've had eight managers, including caretakers and Rangnick as an interim.

And is he so obviously failing? Or is that season actually a pretty fair reflection of where Manchester United are now?

The big change now is the ownership, the people making decisions are hopefully better. Nothing has worked since we last won the league.

I believe he's failing, yes. Forget the results for a moment, the actual performances have been dreadful.

The only thing you could say in his favour is that he did well at Ajax. Don't think that matters so much now.

I'd be amazed if they don't at least ask what his attitude to an approach would be.

Not sure he's an obvious fit, could be interesting though.

Soldato
I could be way off but I have a sneaking suspicion they’ll stick with ETH as long as we don’t get absolutely humped today.

As I understand it, any manager coming in is going to be hampered by PSR (or whatever it’s called) this season? I could see a scenario where Ineos decide to stick with ETH, offer him the incentive of new contract talks based on performances in the first half of the season and let him clear out this squad as much as possible this season. If we’re still a car crash come January then he walks.

Could be totally wrong and he could be sacked at half time today but it’s just a niggling feeling I have.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I believe he's failing, yes. Forget the results for a moment, the actual performances have been dreadful.

Sure. But that's been the case for several managers now. The constants have been the club hierarchy (slowly changing as Ineos get their feet under the table) and some of the players who continue to trouser huge money for **** performances but can't be gotten rid of because no other bugger wants to spend actual money on them.

Man of Honour
OP
I could be way off but I have a sneaking suspicion they’ll stick with ETH as long as we don’t get absolutely humped today.

As I understand it, any manager coming in is going to be hampered by PSR (or whatever it’s called) this season? I could see a scenario where Ineos decide to stick with ETH, offer him the incentive of new contract talks based on performances in the first half of the season and let him clear out this squad as much as possible this season. If we’re still a car crash come January then he walks.

Could be totally wrong and he could be sacked at half time today but it’s just a niggling feeling I have.

The people in the know are convinced he's gone already. The club would have backed him in the last 24 hours or so if the press were wrong.

Soldato
Regardless, nobody even had us pegged as top 4. Finishing third with two finals, winning one was definitely better than we were expected to do.
Oh yeah for sure! But just wanting to highlight it was by no means perfect or anything. The performances have never felt particularly solid in ETH’s two years. Just wonder how that will change if he stays on.

Soldato

Martial's last Man Utd appearance came on December 9, 2023 in a 3-0 home defeat to Bournemouth.

Martial, who joined in a £36m deal from Monaco in September 2015, departs the club having scored 90 goals across 317 appearances in all competitions.

Pretty much sums him up... 9 years / 90 goals... Another one who should NEVER have been given a 4/5 year deal back then.....

Caporegime

Martial's last Man Utd appearance came on December 9, 2023 in a 3-0 home defeat to Bournemouth.

Martial, who joined in a £36m deal from Monaco in September 2015, departs the club having scored 90 goals across 317 appearances in all competitions.

Pretty much sums him up... 9 years / 90 goals... Another one who should NEVER have been given a 4/5 year deal back then.....

His best season was 23 goals in covid year. Just like a long list of players who had the talent but never had the drive. He was on fire that season though.

Soldato
Wasn't Joel, or one the other Glazers, a big fan and refused to sanction Martial being transferred out and instead approved a new contract?
Yea it was something like that. Can’t remember the exact details or how true it all was though without googling.
Pretty sure though that José and Ole both wanted rid of him, so something apart from no one wanting to buy was keeping him at the club.

Soldato
Been thinking about ins and outs. There is a lot to do and it's likely this window will be big for our club.
Outgoings
Varane - free
Martial - free
Evans - free
Lindelof - free
Wan Bissaka - £20m
A.Fernandez - £5m
Van der Beek - £5m
Eriksen - free
Casemiro - £15m
Amrabat - free
Sancho - £40m
Greenwood - £20m
Pellistri - £5m
Hannibal - £5m - personally I'd keep him as a squad player
Williams - £5m

That's £120m plus plus about £80m in wages. Can't see anymore than that going out the door which means that MAguire, McSauce, Rashford, Antony all stay .

We will need - minimum
1 left back - as cover for Shaw/Malacia
1 right back - as cover for Dalot
2 centre backs, one left sided
2 defensive midfielders - maybe Joao Neves from Benfica
1 centre forward

Thats seven players and with the United tax probably £200m minimum.

Of the youngsters Forson will probably get some more game time, Dan Gore has hardly played on his loan to Port Vale so that's not a good sign. Ethan Wheatley is highly thought of but that's about it in terms of the current u21s. Jack Fletcher is highly rated but he's only 17 and yet to develop physically.

All of this points to us having to pull off a Brighton and shop wisely and avoid proven top league players unless they are a free. Rabiot rumours persist, he's 29 and available on a free. I'd take him as he has the physicality for the league. The other strong rumour is that we will move for Olise but to me its a position we don't need as urgently. I'd only buy him if Marcus moves on.

Back
Top Bottom