The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Man of Honour
OP
The reality is we don't know for certain who has leaked it - if anyone.

But putting aside the manager for a moment, there is clearly some sort of problem with some of the players, a culture of playing badly the last few years. This has to end, if we have to ship out half of the team and stand behind Mourinho, then so be it. I'm sick to death of looking at the same group of players who have been here for years and just aren't up to the job.

Man of Honour
OP
The actual article says this:

"Wayne Rooney has always been a vocal voice in the dressing room but the United captain is understood to feel under immense pressure after a disappointing start to the season and is worried about his place in the team against Leicester after a dismal showing at Watford, when he came in for severe criticism on social media from fans."

Poor Wayne.

--
Edit:

It's time the guns were turned on some of the players. It's clear that Rooney for example just isn't up to the job, the press are starting to turn on him, and ex players will need to as well.

I've suspected/hoped all along that Mourinho is setting Rooney up to fall, it will be clear to him he isn't good enough, and he's giving Rooney just enough rope to hang himself, and he's well within his rights to drop him without question now.

While Mourinho won't admit to being wrong in public much, I seriously doubt he's deliberately upsetting all of the players behind the scenes after a couple of bad games. There's no transfer window, why turn the squad against you? It makes no sense. He isn't stupid.

Interesting times ahead.

Man of Honour
OP
Following up on my comment in the weekend football thread... why isn't Schneiderlin getting game time? He's not even getting on the bench - he was pretty decent for Soton, wasn't he? I guess he'll be wanting out soon.

Can only assume Jose doesn't rate him.

Man of Honour
OP
Sounds like Mourinho is going to shake things up big time.

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho is investigating all aspects of first-team affairs after being dismayed at the culture he has inherited at the club.

Mourinho is reportedly unhappy with United's medical department.

But, having succeeded Louis van Gaal in the summer, it is understood Mourinho has found the general culture at United falling short of his expectations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37930776

Man of Honour
OP
Patience from the fans would go a lot further than money tbh

The fans are more than patient enough. Mourinho will get this season as a free pass, and I don't mind that, but next season things will need improving massively.

Players we've spent money on don't even play (Mkhitaryan being the prime example), then you have others from last season, Martial, Schneiderlin, etc.

All that said, we haven't been that bad in the last few games overall, we just make stupid mistakes in defence and the attackers aren't converting chances well enough.

Man of Honour
OP
Will he and why? Moyes wasn't given a free pass and he hadn't spent a fraction of what Mourinho has.

You employ Mourinho for one reason and that's results. You ignore the football his teams play, the circus around him and the damage he leaves behind because he gets results in the short term. If he's not getting results then it's much harder to tolerate him.

It's been bad for a while now, Moyes was never going to work out for various reasons.

Mourinho has started off badly - for a change - so maybe things will be different this time, or he'll continue to be poor into next season and end up going.

I've wanted him since SAF retired so I'm prepared to give him longer, even if things are difficult at the moment, and I think the board will do the same. He has a very strong record, which does make a significant difference.

Man of Honour
OP
Terrible record in the last 18 months, though. And since he's left Chelsea they've shown they were far better than he had them playing (I know there have been a couple of notable signings, but even taking that into account the point stands imo).

That is true, but clearly I'm talking over the past 10-15 years. That is why I'm prepared to give him the chance to reinvent himself, or do whatever he seems to be doing. There has been a gradual improvement on the pitch, even though silly mistakes and wasteful finishing have cost us over the last few games.

The above doesn't mean he can't be criticised though, as mentioned, I'm not sure what he's doing with the squad/tactics half of the time, seems very unorganised.

Man of Honour
OP
It's too early to say anything definitive, but after a rocky start I was hoping Mourinho would eventually start to sort things out and that appears to be what's happening. Traditionally he's started with clubs well, peaked and then gradually got worse, but not this time. I'm really hoping he'll be here for a long time, but only time will tell if that will be possible.

Of course, having very talented individual players is a large part of the above, but there's no reason we can't maintain these sorts of signings year on year. Over the last few games, we've seen more promising signs from the likes of Rashford, Martial and Mkhitaryan, 3 hugely talented players who until now have been on the fringes of the squad this season.

The style of football is a throwback to the SAF era, general domination of the ball with increasing pressure, and a willingness to play it forward directly instead of keeping possession no matter the cost. I think that is what Mourinho will have been aiming for, he knows that's what the club and fans expect, certainly against weaker teams.

I'm happy with Pogba, it's always going to be hard for a central midfielder to have the same sort of impact as a forward, but he's a colossus in the middle of the park in most games and covers a lot of the pitch (defensively and offensively). More improvement to come, too.

Zlatan is playing much better than I thought he would be, on paper quite possibly the best player in the league at the moment, or thereabouts. He seems to score or assist at least once in every game.

The current form has also confirmed that we don't need Rooney, which has been a big cloud hanging over the club for ages. He can still probably play a bit of a role later in the season but beyond that, I think plans will be made for him to go.

Onwards and upwards...

Man of Honour
OP
The season has been a very poor one, Mourinho has made us hard to beat but that's come at a cost in attack. Having said that, our finishing has been awful, I can think of many games where if we'd been a bit more clinical we could have a lot more points. Injuries haven't helped either, though that's nothing new.

Despite all this, winning the Europa League would make it an acceptable season, if not a great one. If we lose the final then it'll be a disaster and the pressure will really be on next season to deliver, big time.

Man of Honour
OP
The performances have been better this season, despite the generally poor results. I can think of numerous games where we've ended up drawing what should have been a win. All largely down to very poor finishing.

Mourinho has done some good and some bad, but ultimately it's clear he doesn't like most of the players so new ones will be needed, I'd say at least 6 in various positions.

Man of Honour
OP
@Robbo I told you the Pogba transfer fee would be a bargain in the long run.

Prices are already doubled from his transfer in one season and you get to have one of the most talented players in the world for his prime years when he will be an absolute beast of a player.

He still needs to get better, but yes I think he'll definitely be a great buy. Just a shame we let him go to start with or it would have been even better, then again he developed well in Italy.

Now with Matic alongside him, he can get forward and express himself more, and he's great to watch.

Man of Honour
OP
Moyes has since been shown up big time. At Man Utd he was horribly out of his depth however you want to look at it.

Man of Honour
OP
Manchester United have asked for CCTV footage in order to identify fans chanting a controversial song about Romelu Lukaku.

So now they're going to ban the whole away end from the game today...?!

Back
Top Bottom