The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Soldato
Maybe this past 2 weeks was just a giant ploy to try & overcome the "Utd tax"!

<Jim to Eric> : "Well done on the cup final. Now we want to let you in on a secret. We need to start getting better value in the transfer market, but the muppets in charge have splurged money so badly that as soon as we show an interest in a player, the price goes up 50%. So what we're going to do is interview a bunch of potential candidates and tell them that there's no transfer budget available. Then when they leak the news, we can more convincingly play the pauper at the negotiating table."

Soldato
_103330503_musk3.jpg.webp

fez

fez

Caporegime
All they need to do in order to stop overpaying is...stop overpaying. They try to overcharge and you move on. Thats what having a good structure means. You don't get fixated on a single player. You don't panic buy. You don't get taken to the cleaners because they know you will eventually relent. If a players value is £50m and they want £75m and no one else will pay more than £50m they have 2 options. Lower their price or keep them.

Caporegime
It is very difficult though. Everyone knows we need players this summer. Branthwaite looks like an ideal shoe in for us. Basically a quick Harry Maguire with a left foot but even though Everton are basically bankrupt they will still try and rinse us!

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
It is very difficult though. Everyone knows we need players this summer. Branthwaite looks like an ideal shoe in for us. Basically a quick Harry Maguire with a left foot but even though Everton are basically bankrupt they will still try and rinse us!

Is it? Everyone needs players. We don't need them any more than pretty much any other club. Unless you are just buying backup players, every club hopes that the players they buy make them better and deliver value for money.

Its like market sellers abroad. They will give a different price to locals vs tourists sometimes because they know locals will tell them to **** off. They still sell to the locals. If a club truly believes a player is worth more than you are willing to offer then fine, they won't sell. Its all about how much you want a player and a well run club doesn't "need" player X usually. Certainly United aren't at the "cherry on top" point.

Caporegime
Is it? Everyone needs players. We don't need them any more than pretty much any other club. Unless you are just buying backup players, every club hopes that the players they buy make them better and deliver value for money.

Its like market sellers abroad. They will give a different price to locals vs tourists sometimes because they know locals will tell them to **** off. They still sell to the locals. If a club truly believes a player is worth more than you are willing to offer then fine, they won't sell. Its all about how much you want a player and a well run club doesn't "need" player X usually. Certainly United aren't at the "cherry on top" point.

That is fine as long as the board are not expecting miracles the next season.

fez

fez

Caporegime

They didn't sack him after this season. I don't think their expectations for next season are going to be sky high. I would imagine they will be reassessing him at the end of the year when they have all the backroom staff in place and seeing if they think he is on the right path or treading water.

Soldato
No one is expecting miracles. Top 4 for CL qualification should be target, at least quarters of Europa, and a decent cup run again.

Get rid of some expensive older players and buy some youth. Bed in a few more youngsters, see if Amad can cut it where Antony has struggled.

Reactions: fez
Soldato
Laurie Whitwell has a good article in the Athletic today about what happened behind the scenes last season. It has some good insight. Behind a paywall but there is always a deal available and personally I find the quality of journalism very good so worth £2 month.

Soldato
Laurie Whitwell has a good article in the Athletic today about what happened behind the scenes last season. It has some good insight. Behind a paywall but there is always a deal available and personally I find the quality of journalism very good so worth £2 month.
Indeed, I can gift a free month if anyone fancies a read.

Associate
Is this the article? It seems to be free to view for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom