The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't think of how to describe the nobbly bit just under your kneecap. It's literally like 1cm under the round plate thingy.

Shin?

Alright so I happen to have fat legs :mad::mad::mad:

Hah, I had the weight of my whole leg resting on the edge of the bath so it's smushed my calf muscle and makes my leg look fat. I should have lifted it up a bit before I took the photo.

No I didn't mean that. Just looks like the top of the photo is a knee. Do you have a foot?

Oiiiiiiii.

No fat legs stuff in the MANLY shaving thread lol.

Sorry about that, the mrs was watching big bro & I thought it was time to pull a razor, rather apt I thought.

Got my stuff in the post today and will be having a go with it at some point tomorrow. Wish me luck gentlemen :D

I like the way the Edwin Jagger DE89 feels in the hand. It's a nice piece of work and good to buy something English made. Now the fun of trying out all the different blades, soaps and creams starts. :)

Good luck!

The Edwin Jagger DE89 is all German btw, probably made by DOVO Solingen (Merkur) The 660 brush Chinese too, it was only assembled/packaged in the UK :D

I've had my Merkur for over a year now and I'm looking to progress to something else. Any suggestions? Perhaps an adjustable vintage? What are the pros/cons of a vintage?

Here's my top 3 that can be picked up fairly cheaply (including new ones)

1930s Gillette/7oclock/Minora NEW.
1940s Gillette fat handle Tech.
1950s Gillette Rocket.

All are English made variants with average aggression.

edit: I think I might have too many razors!

PICS! :cool:

That would be fine in the manly fat legs thread ;)

In reply to those who mentioned alum, I did use it at first but I tend not to any more as it really does make you look like a saddlebag.

I've got a few vintage razors, a Slim Adjustable, 40s Style Superspeed, Tech, Long Comb New, Aristocrat Junior and #15 Aristocrat (all Gillette). I find them all great. They offer different shaves. The Superspeed and the Tech are very mild, the Aristocrat Jr. and the #15 Aristocrat are fairly aggressive, the Long Comb New is somewhere in the middle. The Slim Adjustable can range from very mild to very aggressive.

The good thing about the adjustable is that you can dial it to exactly the level you want and change that level depending on your mood or how long it's been since your last shave. I tend to adjust my adjustable during the shave. I start off on a 5 and dial it up to a 7 for the last pass. Some people do it the other way round and dial down, others leave it where it is.

Whilst I'm here, I also have a number of vintage single edge razors. An Ever Ready Streamline, a GEM Open Comb Micromatic and a GEM Clog-Pruf. These are also excellent shavers, plus the advantage with the GEMs is that they're cheap. I got both of mine for £10. (The Streamline was NOT cheap!)

edit: I think I might have too many razors!

Ooh!

And an unused aristocrat bidded up to £102 so far! It's very nice.

I bought a 1969 Gillette Fatboy some time ago. Here's my pros and cons list.

Pros
----
It looks really cool

Cons
----
It give a dreadful shave

That's it to be honest. I don't regret buying it as its a little piece of history, but don't expect it to be as good as current models.

I'd go for an Edwin Jagger DE89 or DE89L. Superb shave, looks beautiful and costs very little.

Are either the EJ's a step on from my 34C though?

Last edited:
I wouldn't say so in all honesty, they are very similar razors from what I remember.

The progress or the modified mergress look to be very good for modern razors, I know nowt about vintage razors, sorry.

I gave my Futur away as I just didn't get on with it, it did feel really good to shave with though as it is nice & heavy & the feel was great, I just couldn't get the right setting for my face lol.

Good luck!

The Edwin Jagger DE89 is all German btw, probably made by DOVO Solingen (Merkur) The 660 brush Chinese too, it was only assembled/packaged in the UK :D

Really? It says on the Edwin Jagger website that they have a manufacturing facility in Sheffield. Guess nothing is truly made here any more :(

I just phoned Edwin Jagger because that intrigued me.

Some components are made overseas but none in Germany. I specifically asked about the DE89L and was told that it's completely manufactured in Sheffield. I asked if that means 'assembled' in Sheffield and was categorically told that's not the case, it is manufactured there.

I just phoned Edwin Jagger because that intrigued me.

Some components are made overseas but none in Germany. I specifically asked about the DE89L and was told that it's completely manufactured in Sheffield. I asked if that means 'assembled' in Sheffield and was categorically told that's not the case, it is manufactured there.

Thanks for the information Feek that's good to know. One of the reasons I chose the Edwin Jagger was because I read it was made in Sheffield. It's good to support British companies.

Edit:

Just to clarify. All Edwin Jagger DE8x razors are made in Germany. Like the identical Bluebeards Scimitar, Mühle classic range etc.

See>> http://www.bluebeards-revenge.co.uk/blog/bluebeards-scimitar-named-worlds-best-razor-by-about-com-readers/#more-1952
The ‘Scimitar’ is a totally stunning, bespoke, German engineered double edged razor.

Pre 2010 they all had the standard Merkur 34 SB or 41 OC heads. Recently Merkur/DOVO started producing these 3rd party heads for greater brand identity. Including the new TOBS butterfly razor? Anything pot metal will come from DOVO/Merkur (or China/India)
Edwin Jagger do produce those great lathed handles at Sheffield. I'd love a brass/Chrome Chatsworth :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom