The Marvels

Associate
Just got home from cinema watching this.... I mean it was pretty dire, but my 14yr enjoyed it a lot.... the cinema was also very very empty.. probably 25 people in the screening we saw at 7.30, which I would have expected to be peak time Saturday night..

Associate
I thought it was a fun film. Not something I'll go out of my way to rewatch but worth seeing.

I think Disney are suffering because everyone knows it's films will be on Disney plus within 6 months.

Associate
Kind of a shame this is the one that brought the Solo-esque backlash. While it certainly isn't the best MCU film ever, I didn't walk out thinking "WTF was that like I did with the last Thor or Antman films"

Soldato
So who’s going to win the competition?

Worst debut ever and now worst weekend! I believe it’s been poor internationally also but don’t hold me on that.

Update - 110 million worldwide. This film is going to lose 100’s of millions. should have Batgirled it.

For comparison Captain Marvel did 145m and 455.

I thought Captain Marvel was a hugely successful and well liked Character?

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought I was being a touch generous with 500m, after all the1st captain marvel did over a billion as we are constantly reminded. Given Barbie did close to 1.5 billion there's obviously a big female going cinema audience out there... Wonder if this will be the movie where disney finally realise the audience for superhero movies are overwhelmingly male dominated and if they want to get back to making decent profits they should start to appeal to the core audience rather than a bunch of weirdos that have zero desire to watch the trash they are churning out. I said a good 18 months back that the movie division is following the exact path the actual comics laid out, interject a bunch of 'woke' elements and watch the core audience turn their back on the genre, and what do you know it's happening again except on a much larger scale and with far more money involved.

Thinking about it though, it would be more amusing to watch the house of mouse continue down this path, although it would probably be easier if they just started burning warehouses full of money, would be more interesting than the crap they've been churning out over the past 4 years.

Soldato
Was actually contemplating going to see this at the weekend, watched a trailer and we both just didn't feel excited about it. My missus actually prefers a shorter film as she finds the existing 2-3 hour ones drag on a bit. I on the other hand think that's a pretty expensive ticket for just an hour and 45 minutes.

Think we'll wait for it to come out on Disney+.

Associate
I thought I was being a touch generous with 500m, after all the1st captain marvel did over a billion as we are constantly reminded. Given Barbie did close to 1.5 billion there's obviously a big female going cinema audience out there... Wonder if this will be the movie where disney finally realise the audience for superhero movies are overwhelmingly male dominated and if they want to get back to making decent profits they should start to appeal to the core audience rather than a bunch of weirdos that have zero desire to watch the trash they are churning out. I said a good 18 months back that the movie division is following the exact path the actual comics laid out, interject a bunch of 'woke' elements and watch the core audience turn their back on the genre, and what do you know it's happening again except on a much larger scale and with far more money involved.

Thinking about it though, it would be more amusing to watch the house of mouse continue down this path, although it would probably be easier if they just started burning warehouses full of money, would be more interesting than the crap they've been churning out over the past 4 years.

All this was obvious 5 years ago. Women don't care about or watch superhero movies. Hollywood hubris costing billions, and spare a thought for the actually talented writers who were booted out and replaced by talentless hacks...

That's why your Marvel TV shows and Movies now suck.

All the chickens have finally come home to roost.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
All this was obvious 5 years ago. Women don't care about or watch superhero movies.

^^^This is an unfair generalisation. Many women enjoy superhero movies.

But I agree that those that are very invested in the MCU tend to be men.

Really, why do you think that is? What could the reason possibly be…? Hmm.

It’s speculation but I personally think the reasons for that are:

- the majority of the movies have centred around bombastic men who aren’t particularly relatable to women.
- a passage of time in which that was unarguably the case in setting up the MCU.
- the women who have been presented in these films in leading roles are often abnormally hyper athletic or beautiful so aren’t particularly relatable either.

Some men claim that the newer heroes like Captain Marvel are boring, but perhaps part of that is because those characters are trying to reflect everyday women rather than personality types that immediately appeal to men.

On a semi-related note, there are a lot of women taking issue with Disney at the moment for having their animated films chock full of these ‘quirky geek’ characters (Rapunzul, Moana, Mirabel from Encanto etc.) that women find quite boring and tedious. I have a theory that the reason for this repeating character type is that it makes the films more appealing to men, who identify with this character type more.

I ask myself who I would rather hang out with: Belle, Ariel, Cinderella etc or any of the new lot (mentioned above) and I would immediately opt for hanging out with any of the new lot.

Last edited:
Associate
Saw this on Friday night at 8.30. Cinema was pretty empty which doesn't bode well.
I enjoyed it though, was fun and easy to watch. Much more entertaining than most of the previous MCU movies, looking at you Dr strange/Ant Man/Thor which were all mostly dull.

Soldato
On $88.5m for opening weekend according to boxofficemojo. Would expect a big drop next weekend.

IMG-2736.jpg

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
The problem that they have is that we are over the hill with Marvels output. They had a winning formula. They had characters everyone loved, they had good actors in the roles and they had good story lines for the most part. They built up a massive amount of good will with their huge fan base and they got to the point where they could literally release a turd and it would do a billion at the box office.

They are following the tried and true path of "ens***ification" of everything.

They is always a delay when you ruin these sort of things. It has taken a few years are largely rubbish output and over-saturation but they are not at the point where even something good won't do as well as it should be because people have little good will and have fallen out of love with the MCU. They are sick of the lazy writing. The poor CGI. The painful inclusion of progressive politics without the understanding that people don't like to be preached at or slapped in the face with ideas that could be included if someone just had the good sense to use a gentle touch.

Not quite sure where they will be in 5 years because they are clearly still pouring vast sums of money into the content and I don't think they are making anything like enough to justify it. I think they are going to struggle.

Caporegime
The problem that they have is that we are over the hill with Marvels output. They had a winning formula. They had characters everyone loved, they had good actors in the roles and they had good story lines for the most part. They built up a massive amount of good will with their huge fan base and they got to the point where they could literally release a turd and it would do a billion at the box office.

They are following the tried and true path of "ens***ification" of everything.

They is always a delay when you ruin these sort of things. It has taken a few years are largely rubbish output and over-saturation but they are not at the point where even something good won't do as well as it should be because people have little good will and have fallen out of love with the MCU. They are sick of the lazy writing. The poor CGI. The painful inclusion of progressive politics without the understanding that people don't like to be preached at or slapped in the face with ideas that could be included if someone just had the good sense to use a gentle touch.

Not quite sure where they will be in 5 years because they are clearly still pouring vast sums of money into the content and I don't think they are making anything like enough to justify it. I think they are going to struggle.

It got rubbish.
Stupid "comedy" and films became more and more samey.

One film was same as another. And they churned them out at such a rate it was fatiguing.

It died for me a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom