**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
I've certainly been known to hide from my problems in video games, to the point that it compounded my problems, created new and more serious ones and contributed to the hot mess I am now.

But that is just my experience, if it works for you and you're able to use it clear your head, to help your relax or just get through another god damn day, then cudos to you, I wish you all the sucess in the world. We are all different, there is no fix all solution.

Soldato
I’m now on day 5 of 10mg Escitalopram and it’s hitting me hard this time. Need to push past these first few weeks without giving up and get over the startup symptoms which for me a far worse than coming off. CBT again tomorrow too which worked well for me last time. Need to try and at least get my sleep back on some kind of track, waking at 2-3am is horrid.

Guts are grumbling like mad at the moment too so expecting my colitis is having a play too..

All good fun.... lol...

Blehhhhh...

Last edited:
Caporegime
At the weekend, sitting in a beer garden, 6 friends around a table, the subject of mental health was brought up - turned out that everyone at the table had had (or still had) some form of mental health issue! It is crazy how common it is, most adults will experience some form of mental health issue at some point in their lives.

Soldato
It’s really common but lots don’t seek help which is sad. I’m quite happy to talk about my issues to anyone who wants to listen or sometimes not...lol...

More needs to be done as it is a common problem that can be helped. It still has a stigma attached which needs addressing.

Caporegime
I need projects....that is my way....

Summer I built this from scratch..Took me near enough three weeks on my own. I took delivery of the wood from a local Timber Merchant...Looked at the massive pile of wood and though !"£$ what have I done!....Felt overwhelmed (im a DIY noob) but though I'll go for it. Working with wood and problem solving and having a purpose is key for me. Work is not enough.

SUgMBLEl.jpg

Now I'm currently building a massive pond and waterfall in my garden. I get home from work and spend 20 mins skimming the surface getting the leaves out of it. Its tremendously therapeutic. I feel in the moment. Connected to nature and its very spiritual. I have notice slowly wildlife moving in. Frogs and Newts etc...and the start of my eco system taking shape. I have been working on the pond for over a month and although hard work really enjoyable and satisfying. I have given up on gaming for over a year..Not worried about spending hundreds on pointless upgrades and focused on external projects that require massive amounts of research ,problem solving and energy.

jXEbopEl.jpg

Last weekend I moved rocks for 12 hours a day both on Saturday and Sunday. Building my eastern shoreline. It was totally engaging and joyful. It was like creating art through the medium of the earth. Sound hipped-fied but I was just creating nothing into a natural looking landscape...Its has been amazing

CIiE5hR.jpg

G1k9m8l.jpg

When the pond is finished my next project is to buy a Van and convert it into a stealth campervan. I hope to have it ready for June so I can go to Europe in it with my dog for 7 weeks over the summer. Take my guitar, write some songs, meet new people and drink some wine :)

Soldato
I wish the effects of strenous exercise lasted longer, I feel great after interval running for around 20 minutes, like I could take on anything, then it fades and sometimes to the point where I feel worse than I did beforehand.

How long does your running last for? Have you got a bike? You can do 2, 3, 4 hour rides, and the good feeling is sustained a lot longer. The elevated feeling can last for a couple of hours after, I find.

I'd recommend it to anyone, particularly if there's some difficulty to the exercise, be it cardiovascular or technical. Challenging yourself, applying focus and discipline is a fantastic way to feel better.

I'm not claiming anything to be a panacea by the way, just that it may help for some people.

To anyone that thinks you're not fit enough or built for it, I promise you, you are definitely capable of being. Progression in anything gives you a different perspective on things, because you're in driving seat, effecting change.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Don
I need projects....that is my way....

Mine too. I have to be making or building something or planning something at all times. TBH it's just distraction therapy really but it works for me. The only problem is that it's expensive!
The joy for me is not the end result, but the journey. Many of the things I build (quadcopters, RC cars, computers, etc) I never use beyond the first test once it's built.
My latest project is an electric bicycle. This is for three reasons:
1. To give me a new project and lots of things to research
2. Once it's built it will hopefully encourage me to leave the house
3. I need to exercise but having MS presents a unique set of problems with that due to fatigue hitting randomly and without warning. With an electric bike I can cycle under my own power or with some assistance but I don't need to worry about fatigue suddenly hitting me as I will always be able to get home again on electric power alone.

This week I've been really struggling with the panic attacks. Leaving the house in the mornings has been quite the challenge. I'm managing though..... just.

Soldato
I have to say this is one of the best threads in GD (which makes me wonder if GD is the correct place).

The best thing is speaking to someone, anyone....even strangers on here. Much better than bottling it all up.

Soldato
I do hope that people can be sensible and this thread doesnt end up closed. Its been a huge help to me already, just getting a couple of things off my chest and realising that I'm not alone.

@easyrider absolutely love what you've done with the carport and the pond!

Soldato
Interesting how few say projects such as building stuff helps. I've been a bit of a person that likes to build things. Model kits, Lego, Computers, DIY. It distracts I guess, sadly its the cost of getting the materials etc to keep up with the building, even crafts can cost, even when you are sensible.

Caporegime
I think maintaining an interests/hobbies helps in general - doesn't just have to be projects... trying something you'd not previously considered perhaps (think I've recommended yoga and meditation already) - but for a random one: acting classes/amateur theatre - you'll find quite a variety of people attending that sort of stuff.

(Obviously not saying that this is for everyone, if you're currently barely able to leave the house because of extremely severe depression/anxiety etc.. then then it is perhaps rather unsuitable and I don't want anyone to think I was suggesting anyone/everyone should just get out there and do stuff etc.. as different people struggle in different ways.)

I have to say this is one of the best threads in GD (which makes me wonder if GD is the correct place).

there is a Crohn's thread too which has been mostly decent and avoided any nonsense that would get it closed - I think when it is something serious like this that directly affects posters in the thread then people will be sensible and not treat it like some random news story/political opinion or start arguments over semantics

Last edited:
Soldato
I kinda have a thread in GD about my own problems, but thought id pop in here as well :)

Long story short, my wife and I lost our 8 week old baby a year ago yesterday and since then i've been diagnosed with Anxiety, Depression and a mild case of PTSD. Not currently on any medication but that is something i think may change very soon.

I too have found projects have helped :) Our garden was pretty much a bombsite, but we went to Vegas at the beginning of the year for my sisters wedding and ended up winning a very tidy sum of money so we decided we were pretty much going to spend it on things we had been wanting

Before and after shot :
19621255_10155416981457208_9139811146291039222_o.jpg

Where the chair swing is, that is now a greenhouse, and there are about 100 different plants in there...all potted to make things low maintenance :)

The canopy thing in the bottom corner of the second picture is an outside bar-zebo :D and the slabs in the top right is a fire pit that we dug out, that doubles up as somewhere to put the washing line thing

From start to finish this probably took us 3-4 months, the garden was not even close to being flat, and the privet alone must have took us a few weeks on and off to cut back and dig out

Waiting for spring to get back around so we can make a start on growing more veg, so that will keep my occupied again :)

Also looking into getting into jogging / running but i am rather unfit at the minute so running in the cold weather is going to hurt lol

Caporegime
Mine too. I have to be making or building something or planning something at all times. TBH it's just distraction therapy really but it works for me. The only problem is that it's expensive!
The joy for me is not the end result, but the journey

Yes its definitely the journey mate. But is always nice to have something functional at the end.

The process of doing is key for me :)

Back
Top Bottom