**The Mental Health Thread**

Caporegime
no i been to the utter depths.tablets pharmaceuticals are not the answer to your issues. many issues are very simple just many don't want to face them.what do you want to know ?

many mental health issues are the exact same. the thing is many people dance around the issues at hand. you are rubbishing anything im saying because its on the internet when what im telling you is the exact truth through learning.

for many many people you need to relax or find the thing that relaxes you.for me its games.that is why i game. there you go a inside profile.

Associate
OP
Did something stupid today, went out on a shopping trip with the ex even though we're in very different places. She sees me as a friend, I'm still holding out hope that we can be what we were. It had its predictable downsides but for the most part we got on... it just feels like I'm chasing that connection with somebody.

Now I'm back home, flatmate is out and I'm wallowing in self pity again. I knew it was a stupid idea, it was great to see her but it brings back memories of all the things I've lost, and when I'm not in a good place already I was just setting myself up for a world of hurt in the long term.

Been there, multiple times. It's a time when you felt happy and wanted and you want to get that back. But just think, there's millions of women in your country that can bring that happiness if not more.

But don't force it, when you're ready is key.

I have been reading this thread, and I feel for all of you. I hope you can console yourselves in how you feel and manage to get the backing from your other halves, and your doctors and families. In my case, I struggle to form relationships, and make new friends. I cherish the friends I have and get on with the workmates that I have, but other than that? Nope, and even in the friend groups I have I am usually an outsider. I don't feel particularly close to my family members, though I was with one of my Grandfathers, who died this year. The other one I looked up to as well and he died earlier in the year. I had one person I felt I could talk to about it, yet he was the Grandfather who died more recently and I never got to. :(

I personally feel the world will be better off without me and to anyone who asks me why I drink so much, I will answer that if you woke up and saw me in the morning then you would have a drinking problem too. One thing I am good at is acting as most of my friends have no idea of how I am at the moment.

I will most likely delete this post tomorrow, when I've sobered up. Ninja props to you if you've read it. (Or not, If I have forgotten I posted it.)

Condolences for your losses. Take time to grieve, use this thread to open up. I'm just like you with forming new relationships, these days it's so complicated!

I beat my anxiety by taking up rock climbing. Been over 10 years since I had a proper anxiety/panic attack. It was very hard at first, but pushing myself more and more took away the feelings.

Lots of my acquaintances do rock climbing. Any form of physical activity is great for mental health!

no i been to the utter depths.tablets pharmaceuticals are not the answer to your issues. many issues are very simple just many don't want to face them.what do you want to know ?

many mental health issues are the exact same. the thing is many people dance around the issues at hand. you are rubbishing anything im saying because its on the internet when what im telling you is the exact truth through learning.

for many many people you need to relax or find the thing that relaxes you.for me its games.that is why i game. there you go a inside profile.

Gaming is my escape too, but in a way it's not confronting the issues and just distracting me from them.

You can't say many mental health issues are the same though. Each condition can effect an individual differently. My constant extreme happiness and then crippling depression i can handle through my coping mechanisms (cannabis and gaming) but for others that could be overwhelming.

Associate
I beat my anxiety by taking up rock climbing. Been over 10 years since I had a proper anxiety/panic attack. It was very hard at first, but pushing myself more and more took away the feelings.

I'm 3 months into bouldering and looking into outdoor and rope climbing. It does help but its not shifting this anxiety that makes me feel suicidal. Sticking with it and just signed up to a years membership at the Depot in Manchester. There is quite a few articles about it and apparently they prescribe it in Germany.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=7264

I'm going to keep hanging on but if this continues I'll have to look at medication again.

Soldato

You are part of the problem with mental health and it would probably be best if you stopped posting in here because everything you are posting is complete ****.

Your gaming isn't relaxing, it's escapism. You are getting so involved in your games that it takes you away from the problems you claim to be facing.

Soldato
You are part of the problem with mental health and it would probably be best if you stopped posting in here because everything you are posting is complete ****.

Your gaming isn't relaxing, it's escapism. You are getting so involved in your games that it takes you away from the problems you claim to be facing.

Gaming maybe isn't the answer. I have 100% found getting out and having walks, even getting fresh air and exercise is without doubt one of the best ways to come home and feel good. Gaming, booze, binge eating, none of that really works, it just makes you fat, drunk, lethargic, feel worse and eventually it leads to all sorts of problems. I do game, and I do drink, but going out and having a good power walk works wonders.

Sitting indoors is not healthy. It causes a lot of issues , sadly its not as easy as saying "hey go out, its not hard" as actually it is.

Soldato

Everyone is different and you have just, rudely, said a lot of things that you don't know to be true.

Don't confuse your opinion with fact, you end up looking like....well like you.

I'm not saying he is right by the way, I'm just saying you are not.

Soldato
Everyone is different and you have just, rudely, said a lot of things that you don't know to be true.

Don't confuse your opinion with fact, you end up looking like....well like you.

I'm not saying he is right by the way, I'm just saying you are not.

Have you read what DG has been posting? The sceptic in me says that as this is your first post in this thread defending them when they've been spouting everything you've just had a go at me about that you're a second account of DG's. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's certainly fishy.

It is fact that gaming, drugs, alcohol, gambling etc are ways of escaping depression and other mental health problems, despite the fact they add to the problems. It's a vicious circle.

Anyone telling people that meds don't work and that all mental health problems are the same is an idiot, and so is anyone that defends that point of view.

Soldato
I have 100% found getting out and having walks, even getting fresh air and exercise is without doubt one of the best ways to come home and feel good.

I agree with this. Starting the first week of August I have been going for 5 mile walks at least twice (if not three times) a week. Stick your headphones on, have a little daydream and start walking.
You do feel much better. I'm not sure how accurate strava is, but it thinks I burn 800 calories on my walks. My work trousers are a lot looser for sure.

That said, this is 2017. We live our lives through a screen whilst guzzling coffee. It's VERY hard (nigh on impossible) to get people outside walking these days.

Soldato
Gaming maybe isn't the answer. I have 100% found getting out and having walks, even getting fresh air and exercise is without doubt one of the best ways to come home and feel good. Gaming, booze, binge eating, none of that really works, it just makes you fat, drunk, lethargic, feel worse and eventually it leads to all sorts of problems. I do game, and I do drink, but going out and having a good power walk works wonders.

Sitting indoors is not healthy. It causes a lot of issues , sadly its not as easy as saying "hey go out, its not hard" as actually it is.

You are spot on IV. I was a hardcore gamer, an addict even. Last game I remember playing was Christmas, i've maybe done it a couple of times since then. I was wasting my life sat in front of a screen doing nothing of substance. Gaming certainly does take your mind of it, same as a film or binge watching a tv show but as you say, exercise and being active is far better for you!

Soldato
I agree with this. Starting the first week of August I have been going for 5 mile walks at least twice (if not three times) a week. Stick your headphones on, have a little daydream and start walking.
You do feel much better.

That is what I do, Spotify Playlist, makes the £9.99 sub charge pay for itself, walk to work sometimes, get to work feeling great. Nothing beats getting outside. Even a drive to a nearby lake and walk around the lake, enjoy the scenery and feel good and remember everyone has a much right to be out there as anyone else. Feeling anxious as others might be there is an awful feeling, but we have as much right to be their as they do. 99% of people are their out and about to do their own thing and have no interest in you , so enjoy being out and get that fresh air and exercise. Sadly, its so easy to say it. Doing this when you have fears and feeling low is so much harder. Feeling low makes you feel less energetic, the desire to get out is less, and its horrible.

Caporegime
Have you read what DG has been posting? The sceptic in me says that as this is your first post in this thread defending them when they've been spouting everything you've just had a go at me about that you're a second account of DG's. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's certainly fishy.

It is fact that gaming, drugs, alcohol, gambling etc are ways of escaping depression and other mental health problems, despite the fact they add to the problems. It's a vicious circle.

Anyone telling people that meds don't work and that all mental health problems are the same is an idiot, and so is anyone that defends that point of view.

what are you on about second account lol. we all have our opinions. so i guess yours must be right then :rolleyes:

Soldato
You are spot on IV. I was a hardcore gamer, an addict even. Last game I remember playing was Christmas, i've maybe done it a couple of times since then. I was wasting my life sat in front of a screen doing nothing of substance. Gaming certainly does take your mind of it, same as a film or binge watching a tv show but as you say, exercise and being active is far better for you!

I've cut my gaming down massively. My Playstation and PC gaming addiction along with my autism and OCD pretty much ruined two of my last relationships (the one I just ended was due to her having the issues of staying indoors and just watching movies all day - but she had other issues and I had to go for my own health) but since cutting gaming down and going for good old walks, its been like - wow I am seeing so much, and feel so much better. I still have the anxieties that my condition brings with it but walking makes me feel good, I feel like I can literally take on the world when I have my music, fresh air, my legs and all I can see. The feeling I get is amazing. But I say all this, but it might not be the same for others, but considering most agree that sessions in the gym, rock climbing, cycling, walking etc all help their moods, with medication in some cases, well there has to be something in it.

Soldato
what are you on about second account lol. we all have our opinions. so i guess yours must be right then :rolleyes:

Everyone has a right to express their opinion, you feel gaming is a way to help you, I used that too at one time. And I still do game, and if that helps you, then who are we, or anyone to tell you otherwise? I just think getting out and enjoying some fresh air with a walk is more satisfying then any game I can mention. But I do like my racing games.. : - )

Soldato
How many times have I heard the line "You don't need meds!" or "Tablets don't fix it". If only I had realised this 16 years ago. All those attempts at coming off them and finding the right one could have saved me so much bother if this was the answer all along :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am one of those that can't do without meds, doesn't mean I like being on them....

Soldato
How many times have I heard the line "You don't need meds!" or "Tablets don't fix it". If only I had realised this 16 years ago. All those attempts at coming off them and finding the right one could have saved me so much bother if this was the answer all along :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am one of those that can't do without meds, doesn't mean I like being on them....

You too. I've battled with the medication - I don't need these and stop taking them only to then feel twice as bad and end up on something else, if only Id stuck with something I might not have got myself into the messes I did 10 or so years ago when I was really struggling. I do wonder how I never got banned from this forum with some of my attitude back in 2008. Erm did I have a way to rub folks up and feel like everyone was to blame for the way I was..

But can't look back and feel bad about it, just need to move forward and try not to behave like that and not let anxieties and low feeling hold me back.

Suspended
Clinical depression here, diagnosed 14 years ago. Originally I was on a high dose of Effexor XR, which is hideous stuff. For the past 5 years I've been on Citalopram, which is absolutely fantastic.

My wife and children are very supportive.

Caporegime
Everyone has a right to express their opinion, you feel gaming is a way to help you, I used that too at one time. And I still do game, and if that helps you, then who are we, or anyone to tell you otherwise? I just think getting out and enjoying some fresh air with a walk is more satisfying then any game I can mention. But I do like my racing games.. : - )

if you read my earlier post i put do what relaxes you or helps. for me its gaming it doesn't have to be gaming for everyone. everyone is different.i didn't say sit in doors all day.obviously exercise helps and is good for you. as for meds no they made me generally worse crappy side effects . so no help whatever. most gps just bang in whatever is the recommended anyway.

Soldato
if you read my earlier post i put do what relaxes you or helps. for me its gaming it doesn't have to be gaming for everyone. everyone is different.i didn't say sit in doors all day.obviously exercise helps and is good for you. as for meds no they made me generally worse crappy side effects . so no help whatever. most gps just bang in whatever is the recommended anyway.

Yes you did. I'm not actually single you out at all. If gaming and getting out helps, then this is your coping, I however did turn to booze and that was a huge mistake. Gaming relaxes me at well. I'm playing shoot um up games and building lego. Its all about whatever helps, we are all in the same need, we need to help ourselves and some find medication does actually work. I don't disagree GP's throw medication out too frequently - but for some it really does help and they need it.

Caporegime
Gaming is an okay way to relax if we're talking an hour here and there every few days but I know for sure most people aren't like that, it's hours and hours daily and as pointed out is a viscious cycle of escapism that only compounds the issue for many. The consistent release of dopamine daily from the reward systems that games trigger is not healthy for even a normal person nevermind in those with mental illnesses. I'm not bashing gaming either, imo it's better than binge watching TV/films that have little to no level of interaction but I won't kid myself that gaming helps my issues as I know that isn't the case. I'm pretty certain that the hours I've spent gaming over the past 10-15 years have reduced my enjoyment from other areas of life, and studies out of China and South Korea have some evidence on this. It's like anything really, if it's beyond doing it in moderation it's going to start having an effect on other areas of your life.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom