**The Mental Health Thread**

Associate
Thanks for your reply.
I didn't know that S.A.D was a thing.

Is it possible it is related to the lack of sunlight and vitamin D or maybe the cold weather affecting our bodies somehow?

Definitely and sounds like S.A.D (Seasonal affective disorder). Everyone experiences winter blues to some degree, but if you really struggle with it, it's worth discussing with your G.P.

Caporegime
Recently been diagnosed with OCD, Depression and Anxiety with panic attacks being my main problem, causing sleep problems etc. This has all flared up off the back of being diagnosed with vestibular migraine (anxiety being a main symptom) - wasn't like this 3 months ago that's for sure, although I always knew I had OCD without it being diagnosed.

Finally managed to get the Dr to give me something to help me sleep (Valium), feels like it'd be easier to break into Fort Knox.

On anti depressants as well which make me feel like a zombie in the morning, happy days.

Soldato
Wait, what?

There's an actual medical term for this, S.A.D?

Pathetic.

When did the human race become such snow flakes.

.....it's a real condition. Depression etc can be linked to low VitD levels. Winter = lower vitD levels. Some are affected more than others. You seem triggered, you ok?

Permabanned
Yes there is - and if admitting that I suffer from it makes me a "Pathetic snow flake" then so be it.

It's amazing how clueless some people are. Some of the measures for treatment looked down right creepy from the start to the mid 20th century.

Members of a British submarine crew undergoing sun-ray treatment whilst their submarine is moored alongside a depot ship to take aboard fresh supplies during WWII.

1942: All officers at the RAF fighter headquarters who work underground are provided with sun ray treatment from a lamp presented by Lord Nuffield.

Don
Have you got a SAD lamp?

I haven't, but since I started taking 10mg escitalopram, it's made me feel more like my "normal" self, and this is the first Christmas where I haven't been overcome with bad emotions.

I planning to start to come off it Feb/Mar, when I hopefully can get back cycling and out in the garden to exercise and motivate myself that way.

Only side effect of Escitalopram for me is delayed orgasm, but not a side effect I've needed to complain about! :)

Permabanned
I haven't, but since I started taking 10mg escitalopram, it's made me feel more like my "normal" self, and this is the first Christmas where I haven't been overcome with bad emotions.

I planning to start to come off it Feb/Mar, when I hopefully can get back cycling and out in the garden to exercise and motivate myself that way.

Only side effect of Escitalopram for me is delayed orgasm, but not a side effect I've needed to complain about! :)

Similar to alcohol then.

Soldato
Other than a few stresses I thought I had been doing really well but recently I've felt quite low again :/

I don't know if it's partly hormone changes (and cutting out chocolate lately lol) but something upset me recently, I guess it hit a nerve and now it's really affected my mood even days later :(

Why do I find it so hard to say to someone "Hey, that really upset me" :confused: perhaps people say certain things as a joke but it gets a bit much at times.

I don't know, maybe turning a year older and being constantly tired etc is just making me more sensitive to things. I just feel sometimes that I'm constantly being "dug out".

"Why haven't you got a washing machine yet?"
"You shouldn't do that"
"You should do this, that and the other"
"You're so fussy"

It's taking all my strength to keep it together at work at the minute :(

Don
I've made quite a lot of progress recently. I've been forcing myself to go to places regularly to try to get used to it.
Things I've achieved in the last 6 months that would have been unthinkable 18 months ago:

Drove to the dump on my own and queued to dispose of some household rubbish.
Took my son to a soft play and stayed there for 2 hours.
Went to the swimming pool with my son.
Drove to the supermarket on my own and bought some items.
Went to the bank to pay in a cheque.

These may all seem like normal things to do but for me they present a massive challenge.

Soldato
I've made quite a lot of progress recently. I've been forcing myself to go to places regularly to try to get used to it.
Things I've achieved in the last 6 months that would have been unthinkable 18 months ago:

Drove to the dump on my own and queued to dispose of some household rubbish.
Took my son to a soft play and stayed there for 2 hours.
Went to the swimming pool with my son.
Drove to the supermarket on my own and bought some items.
Went to the bank to pay in a cheque.

These may all seem like normal things to do but for me they present a massive challenge.
Well done, it's really good to have a reference of how well you're doing.

These are all very relatable as "Things that I can do but will avoid/put off out of fear". My girlfriend was unable to leave the house without a day's notice 5 years ago. It felt extreme but in hindsight, I can see how I would end up in that situation.

Back
Top Bottom