**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
It's been a very difficult time if I'm honest maybe the worst mental state I've ever been in, and it's lasted over 18 months now. The anxiety from withdrawal is double my normal anxiety, and so many other issues like insomnia, and mega depression, the list is endless.
My own fault for staying on them too long. you can get away with one pill now and again but that's it.

Bloody he’ll mate I’m really sorry you are going through that.

Soldato
I use Diazepam sparingly but its hard at times as I know a simple pill and it'll all go away for a period of time. Unbelievable the effect it has, I can go from full blown continuous panic attacks to completely chilled in the space of half an hour.

I have only ever taken one once a long time ago and I think it put me to sleep on the sofa if I remember.

Im so scared of medication and how it will affect me since surgery it takes all my willpower to take anything even a paracetamol.

Caporegime
I have only ever taken one once a long time ago and I think it put me to sleep on the sofa if I remember.

Im so scared of medication and how it will affect me since surgery it takes all my willpower to take anything even a paracetamol.

I feel you mate, anything I take spikes anxiety immediately even if it's ibuprofen/paracetamol.

Soldato
Call with the doctor later today to try and get some answers. Who wants to be gaslit by a medical professional?

No doubt I'll get told it's all in my head and I just need to lose weight/exercise/eat right.

Soldato
Call with the doctor later today to try and get some answers. Who wants to be gaslit by a medical professional?

No doubt I'll get told it's all in my head and I just need to lose weight/exercise/eat right.
I agree with MOOGLEYS a different doctor would help or get your own doctor to refer you to see a physiatrist.

Unfortunately some doctors aren't that clued up when it comes to mental health issues.

I've had a few doctors roll there eyes like I shouldn't be asking for help and get a book out and just pick a drug. I've also had doctors tell me to get more exercise, oh how I wish it was that simple!

There's help out there mate but unfortunately you have to stamp you feet a little to get seen!

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried a different Dr ?

Unfortunately with the practice I'm with you get offered an appointment and see one of 7 random doctors. I did refuse to see one after he did something I told him not to do though.

I agree with MOOGLEYS a different doctor would help or get your own doctor to refer you to see a physiatrist.

Unfortunately some doctors aren't that clued up when it comes to mental health issues.

I've had a few doctors roll there eyes like I shouldn't be asking for help and get a book out and just pick a drug. I've also had doctors tell me to get more exercise, oh how I wish it was that simple!

There's help out there mate but unfortunately you have to stamp you feet a little to get seen!

The psychiatrist bit was easy oddly enough. Sadly my issues are pointing to some kind of illness that doesn't show up in blood tests etc. so I'm concerned it might be chronic fatigue which means eliminating all other things first.

I get the exercise comments from the docs all the time (and my weight is a huge issue!) but like you say it's not that easy. Unfortunately whatever is afflicting me can see me go from 'normal' but tired to completely exhausted and struggling to do simple things like count/talk without slurring/searching for simple words and even going upstairs can be a massive chore. Add to that unrefreshing sleep and it's tough to do any meaningful exercise :(

Soldato
Unfortunately with the practice I'm with you get offered an appointment and see one of 7 random doctors. I did refuse to see one after he did something I told him not to do though.

Mine is the same don’t think I have seen the same Dr twice in months. It used to be an independent Dr and was really good now it’s part of a chain so although more appointments it’s with whoever is available. I can book with a certain Dr but it means a longer wait. If it’s not urgent might be worth seeing if that’s an option for yourself ?

Last edited:
Soldato

The psychiatrist bit was easy oddly enough. Sadly my issues are pointing to some kind of illness that doesn't show up in blood tests etc. so I'm concerned it might be chronic fatigue which means eliminating all other things first.

I get the exercise comments from the docs all the time (and my weight is a huge issue!) but like you say it's not that easy. Unfortunately whatever is afflicting me can see me go from 'normal' but tired to completely exhausted and struggling to do simple things like count/talk without slurring/searching for simple words and even going upstairs can be a massive chore. Add to that unrefreshing sleep and it's tough to do any meaningful exercise :(
Is there any chance you could change doctors? Look into changing to a different practice, I had to do this twice now due to total incompetence.

I obviously don't know your financial situation but would going private be something you could afford?

Don't let one practice fob you off with your health concerns. Try everything you can go get the answers you need.
Also make a complaint against your doctor if he/she is just telling you to exercise!! I made a complaint about my doctor and suddenly they couldn't be more helpful.

Hope you find some help buddy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I once went to my GP with a stress related rash (and elevated stress levels, I was finishing uni and run ragged). He told me to go to bed 1.5 hours earlier, run 5k three times a week and switch to decaf. Like, how much more unrealistic can you be with someone who is losing sleep because they're working on uni projects constantly!

Soldato
I once went to my GP with a stress related rash (and elevated stress levels, I was finishing uni and run ragged). He told me to go to bed 1.5 hours earlier, run 5k three times a week and switch to decaf. Like, how much more unrealistic can you be with someone who is losing sleep because they're working on uni projects constantly!
It's because doctors honestly don't have a clue what to do with stress/anxiety/ depression. It's either, take this pill, exercise or just go away so I can get back to being a real doctor!!

Capodecina
Soldato

Was he a member of this forum?

Permabanned
Might help if we stopped infecting the minds of young people with toxic ideology which makes them hate themselves due to the colour of their skin, gender, sex or nationality.

Maybe mental health would improve if we stopped telling people how we're all doomed because of climate change, we can't stop climate change.

Last edited:
Soldato
Might help if stopped infecting the minds of young people with toxic ideology which makes them hate themselves due to the colour of their skin, race or nationality.

Maybe mental health would improve if we stopped telling people how we're all doomed because of climate change, we can't stop climate change.
Don't want to pick a fight here but... First paragraph: not helpful.

Second paragraph: it's a pretty serious concern and we CAN make a difference. If we were told "A meteor will crash into the earth in 2050 and snuff out all life" do you think everyone would just be chilling? No, there'd be a mix of panic, depression, hedonism and people sticking their head in the sand, making plans to escape etc.

Permabanned
Don't want to pick a fight here but... First paragraph: not helpful.

Second paragraph: it's a pretty serious concern and we CAN make a difference. If we were told "A meteor will crash into the earth in 2050 and snuff out all life" do you think everyone would just be chilling? No, there'd be a mix of panic, depression, hedonism and people sticking their head in the sand, making plans to escape etc.

I disagree on both points, mental health issues seem to correlate quite nicely with intersectionality. Definitely something we should be looking into, but won't because it's everywhere now.

Climate change can not be stopped, fact, At the very best we can slow it down, even then it's unlikely as the targets are not realistically achievable.

Soldato
Everybody suffers with anxiety/depression on a scale of 1 to 100, the higher up the scale and the time it takes to improve is the tough bit :(
In hindsight it was clearly something i'd struggled with from a young age but just got on with things and pushed it down. However in 2017 on the back of the birth of my son and huge reduction in sleep and high workload, I simple broke. Cue a year or so of getting to the bottom of what root causes it in conjunction with meds/CBT.

Much better these days although I do have wobbles, especially last week as was 2 years since my mum passed, hit me harder than last year strangely. I think maybe as the entire year leading up to the 1st anniversary, it was on my mind all the time. Whereas this last year i've likely not thought about it so much then hit me out of nowhere.

Associate
In hindsight it was clearly something i'd struggled with from a young age but just got on with things and pushed it down. However in 2017 on the back of the birth of my son and huge reduction in sleep and high workload, I simple broke. Cue a year or so of getting to the bottom of what root causes it in conjunction with meds/CBT.

Much better these days although I do have wobbles, especially last week as was 2 years since my mum passed, hit me harder than last year strangely. I think maybe as the entire year leading up to the 1st anniversary, it was on my mind all the time. Whereas this last year i've likely not thought about it so much then hit me out of nowhere.
Sounds like you know were you are with it - well done. My best friend died in my arms a few years ago and then my mum died in front of me 9 days later, life can be so cruel sometimes. You will get wobbles - I'm having one now! x

Soldato

Not that I'm making light if you but have you actually tried those suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom