**The Mental Health Thread**

Associate
Having a particularly tough couple of days. Really kind of lost on what and where my life is going. Anxiety is through the roof and holding me back from making big decisions, I know of a job going that I think I could do but would involve a relocation and I just can't get my head around moving, renting, living alone away from family.
Just not sure what to do, I have complete respect for everyone in this thread talking about what you're going through and what medication you are trying but I really don't want to take medication.

Soldato
Lots of options you can try before medication. Have you tried any mindfulness or meditation ? The Balance app has a one year free trial and is worth a look. You can also self refer for CBT in most areas so might be worth looking into too.

Associate
Probably should have added more info, sorry.

Tried medication a couple of times over the years, I didn't really feel any different taking it.
Also tried CBT and counseling over the years and again didn't have any long term effects.

Soldato
I'd be willing to pay for your own therapy as the NHS waiting times for CBT is fairly long and fairly useless, some guy on the phone telling me I'll fix all my issues going for a walk.
If you have anxiety or panic attacks the DARE app/book is very helpful, although very difficult to implement.

Associate
I'd be willing to pay for your own therapy as the NHS waiting times for CBT is fairly long and fairly useless, some guy on the phone telling me I'll fix all my issues going for a walk.
If you have anxiety or panic attacks the DARE app/book is very helpful, although very difficult to implement.
Exactly this I found it useless to be totally honest.

Associate
Did you take medication for long it can take a while for them to start having any effect. Have you tried meditation it can work well for some.
I don't remember to be honest but probably at least 6 months.
I've thought about meditation and yoga but nothing more than thinking about it.

Caporegime
@bulb66 After reading through your previous posts in this thread, I believe your issues may be a bit deeper than what prescription medication or standard CBT can offer you.

You've likely got some deep-seated trauma and if you can afford it, I'd suggest trying to get an appointment with a well-regarded psychologist in your area.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato

It really is very dependent on the therapist but also, equally how you engage with them and how open and honest you are about your issues.

Not only did I have a good therapist, I would prepare reports and fortnightly spreadsheets for her of my experiences and feelings. We had 16 one hour sessions overall, including assessments, and it was a very worthwhile experience.

Last edited:
Soldato

Probably quoting this study... Honestly peoples problems come in many forms and require many different needs/ways to help, things are not just black and white as some of these therapists or doctors think too. I wish everyone luck finding the right help they need as mental health issues are really horrible to live with and deal with.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought I'd update on the citalopram - so I am now nearly 3 weeks in to it, started on 10mg, side effects initially were mild just a bit of indigestion, but have become more of late, headaches, which I never usually get, and the worst one, is waking up, literally every night about 5am and being unable to get back to sleep for ages (around an hour or so, and that's only through sheer determination not to get up! - I am taking the tablet in the morning as well so it's not like it can be blamed on taking it at night. The Dr is going to call this week to see how it's going, I am tempted to stop rather than move up to 20mg, as whilst I do feel it's done 'something' I am not sure the side effects are worth the hassle, especially if 20mg will make them worse! I may ask to try something else, or even go back to Sertraline - which I was on for several years.
Well wishing for everyone in here that is struggling - keep the chat going.

Soldato
Asking for help is hard :eek:

Just been speaking to the mental health and wellbeing charity my work partners with to try to arrange some relationship counselling. I don't really know what's going on with us after all the **** we've been through the last few years (and I have no idea if my other half does either :().

Almost didn't take the call, butterflies in my stomach etc. even though it was just a quick preliminary call to get a brief background and find out what we need.

I guess it's admitting you're not invincible that's the difficult first step :/

Last edited:
Caporegime
I had a complete break down last week and I'm still incredibly depressed even today with my family keeping it together. I went through the crisis line, GP and now getting double the medication. With the team saying have I thought about ending it, which was incredibly difficult to answer :(

40 MG Mirtzapine split into twice a day
20 MG Amytriptiline

Next is to get help through talking and long therapy... If my family wasn't with me, I wouldn't be alive today it's that bad

Last edited:
Associate
... waking up, literally every night about 5am and being unable to get back to sleep for ages (around an hour or so, and that's only through sheer determination not to get up! - I am taking the tablet in the morning as well so it's not like it can be blamed on taking it at night ...
I'm on 20mg, I take it at night and I still wake up at around 4am/5am LOL

Associate
I had a complete break down last week and I'm still incredibly depressed even today with my family keeping it together. I went through the crisis line, GP and now getting double the medication. With the team saying have I thought about ending it, which was incredibly difficult to answer :(

40 MG Mirtzapine split into twice a day
20 MG Amytriptiline

Next is to get help through talking and long therapy... If my family wasn't with me, I wouldn't be alive today it's that bad
You, like me, have a great support team (family) - we are the "lucky" ones I guess as so many people have to work through things on their own. I had got as far as going to the local river to end things but changed my mind when I got there - still don't know why; that was in 2001 and I'm still here. It is so important for people in our position to talk about how we feel because otherwise those who are supporting us don't know how to help.
Not really sure I said what I wanted to (in the right way) there but I think it's as close as my brain will let me :)

Caporegime
I had got as far as going to the local river to end things but changed my mind when I got there - still don't know why; that was in 2001 and I'm still here.

The first time I was driving as fast as I could and the urge to just snap the steering wheel into the woods... But mum called me while I was driving :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom