* The Metal Thread *

Soldato
Cant say I am truly excited about any of the new material I listen to yesterday. Supposedly the 'top Metal' albums of 2016. Bah....

Nothing special.

Best album for me was Opeth's Sorceress and that hasn't even made it on to any of the top lists I've seen.

Was 2016 really that bad for the metal scene?

---

Woo.... at least this one has it at 6th!

Last edited:
Associate
Cant say I am truly excited about any of the new material I listen to yesterday. Supposedly the 'top Metal' albums of 2016. Bah....

Nothing special.

Best album for me was Opeth's Sorceress and that hasn't even made it on to any of the top lists I've seen.

Was 2016 really that bad for the metal scene?

---

Woo.... at least this one has it at 6th!

Its loudwire,what do you expect,its like kerrang and metal hammer :p

Soldato
I'm listening to this currently. Another highly regarded 2016 metal album.

After listing to this album from start to finish... it's a bit samey... but I cant stop listening to it.

---

Actually really like this. Very very sad album. So much sadness.

To me, I picture a psychologist asking her "So how do you feel?" and this is what came out. :mad::(

---

'Needles in your skin', followed by 'Immortals' two great tracks.

'Where I live'!! Amazing!

Last edited:
Associate
I really like the Alcest album :) Gonna listen to the Oathbreaker album in a while and got Surmac loading.

In the last two days I've been to two gigs, Friday night I went to see Meshuggah, and that was really impressive and intense. Meshuggah isn't a band I listen to that often, but thought I'll go and see them while they are touring nearby. They were supported by The Haunted that did a pretty good set (never listened to them before if I should be honest). But Meshuggah just blew me apart with their set. The music was really intense, the sound was extremely good for being at the Kentish Town Forum, it felt like you were being battered by a wall of sound even though I was seated upstairs. They also did bring a really amazing lightshow as well. And one thing I did really like was that the talking between the songs were kept to the minimum. I think during the gig Jens said something twice, first was "Hello, we are Meshuggah from Sweden" (something like that) and the second was "Hello London, its fun to be back. Hope you are having a good time. The next song is called Bleed".

Yesterday I went to the 02 Arena to see In Flames, Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold. I mainly went there for In Flames. They only played for half an hour but did a good set with those limits. Disturbed did an hour long and did play pretty good, had a good pyro show.
Avenged Sevenfold was better than I would have expected even though they felt very much like a bunch of posers at times.

One thing I did wonder a lot while sitting there was how many of the people at the 02 would know any more metal bands than the three at this gig? Some people were going so bananas over specially Disturbed and A7X that I wondered if they heard anything else metal way? Sure, those bands aren't that bad, but they are not that great either.. Or is it just me being a cynical *******?

Associate
One thing I did wonder a lot while sitting there was how many of the people at the 02 would know any more metal bands than the three at this gig? Some people were going so bananas over specially Disturbed and A7X that I wondered if they heard anything else metal way? Sure, those bands aren't that bad, but they are not that great either.. Or is it just me being a cynical *******?

Because they are mainstream bands,even among people who dont listen to 'metal' they are well known and considered br00talz or whatever lolz.Not sure what the mainstream brand of metal will be in the near future,not many other new bands have broken-out that catered to the mainstream audience in recent years.And thankfully the prevalence of deathcore/screamcore seems to be dying down

Out of interest what does an In Flames setlist look like these days?Do they play anything Pre Reroute to Remain at all? Clayman,The Jester Race,Whoracle,Colony ect are some of my fav albums but everything after that is so bad.

Extremely disappointing the path they took,same with Children of Bodom.Two bands that each created a great heavy melodic sound,and just abandoned it for the mainstream ££ and fame :mad:

Associate
This is the set list they did on Thursday in Cardiff: Bullet Ride, Where the Dead Ships Dwells, Leeches, The End, Cloud Connected, The Truth, Paralyzed, Deliver Us, Take This Life. So except from Bullet Ride and Cloud Connected the songs were from the last three albums.

In some ways I can understand when band changes direction musically. COB I haven't listen to for a long time and not heard their last albums so can't say how they are now. But I'm sure the guys in In Flames have other reasons than mainstream success and money for going the way they have done. Most people change during their life and see things differently than they do when being younger. People doesn't always like it but I doubt there is anything we can do about it except being unhappy.

Soldato
Thought I'd post here as me son is the drummer in a band called "harbinger" (I don't know if anyone here has heard of them). They've been going for just over a year and I thought it would appropriate to show what they're about.

FFO: Decapitated, Gojira, Pantera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGQrodtq-DQ

It was good. Not my cup of tea but didn't sound like a band who weren't already well established etc.

Associate
So Jari from Wintersun had some entertaining news today

Last week, the Finnish metallers Wintersun unveiled the tracklist of their upcoming third studio album, The Forest Seasons, that will see the light of day in 2017. This new full-length album of 53 minutes follows the concept of Vivaldi's 'The Four Seasons', but will of course feature the typical epic death metal on four tracks. And although the album is already finished, front man and mastermind Jari Mäenpää now needs the support of his loyal fans. The band will be doing a crowdfunding campaign starting on March 1st.

The group explained: "There will be a Wintersun crowdfunding, starting March 1st. During last autumn, we had long and productive negotiations with our record label Nuclear Blast and we finalized it in November 2016. We came to a good solution, a win-win deal that will benefit everyone - Wintersun, Nuclear Blast and especially the fans! This means that we will do the crowdfunding and it will include our new album The Forest Seasons!

"The purpose of this crowdfunding is to build the Wintersun headquarters studio. As some of you may know this has been in the plans for a long time. It is our long time goal and dream. Building the studio is absolutely essential in order to finish Time II and produce our future albums as fast as possible and with the best production. All the money we raise will go directly to Wintersun, 100%, which we will use for building the Wintersun Headquarters.

"This will be the biggest crowdfunding you've ever seen in the metal scene! It will be a different kind of crowdfunding than usually. We are not going to offer dozens of different items from guitar picks to used socks for a thousand bucks. We're going to cut all the crap and only offer one very valuable perk! That's right! It will be a massive Wintersun Crowdfunding Package called the Forest Package and it will have lots of great Wintersun content including our new album The Forest Seasons. You will be blown away!

"The Forest Package is huge and otherwise it would be very expensive, but we are going to offer it with to very affordable price in our crowdfunding. So you guys will get great value for your money and enjoy the new album like it should be experienced, with the BEST quality! The best thing is that all of the content is 100% done, so you don't have to wait for many months. It will be basically a pre-order for our new album.

"This way you get the new Wintersun album the easiest way, with the best quality and with the best price and you'll help us get to the next level, so we can produce albums for YOU guys faster and with the best production! So this is a win-win for everyone! The crowdfunding will take place on Indiegogo between March 1st - 31st. It will last only one month, so you guys need to be prepared! Get those credit cards and PayPal accounts ready! Thank you! - Jari, Jukka, Kai, Teemu."

http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=30956

For those who never heard them be4

An amazing artist,,i cba explaining the history of this drama,but hes so so full of **** imo

lol

Back
Top Bottom