The New European Super (borefest) League

fez

fez

Caporegime
Whats surprising is that this hasn't happened earlier really. No billion dollar company gives a **** about its employees or customers beyond their ability to give the company money or make them money. People won't stop watching football after this and the teams in the breakaway league will be rolling in it.

Don
i’m afraid that and Asia, this will be big. The 13 controls everything so they pocket everything, meaning if they charge just £5 a game, 150mil Man U fans, 250mil Real M fans, let’s face it, most of them are not in the UK, they will pay it to watch and even without a single ticket sale in the stadium, they are making a lot of money per match.
And this is the single biggest challenge to stopping this. Without wanting to sound like I'm attacking overseas fans, a large number of them won't really understand the history of their club and the League's they compete in. They don't and won't watch Burnley vs Fulham - watching Liverpool - Barca or Utd - Juve every week appeals to them far more. Although the latter point probably applies to most UK fans too, they at least appreciate the reason why we have those other sides and the consequences of this league.
I'd rather US investors that have yet to be proven to be corrupt than the decades of world "elites" that have time and time again shown their true colours without any justice.
I think that's a very dangerous gamble. The Glazers, Kroenke & Henry had probably never seen a football game before considering to invest in a football side - they looked at a spreadsheet instead. Handing them the power to European football is terrifying.

Caporegime
Whats surprising is that this hasn't happened earlier really. No billion dollar company gives a **** about its employees or customers beyond their ability to give the company money or make them money. People won't stop watching football after this and the teams in the breakaway league will be rolling in it.

The pandemic basically kicked everything into high gear, Barca is a billion in debt partly due to empty stadiums so they need this paycheque to get virtual tickets in order to survive. The American owners don’t understand relegation and companies wants guaranteed income, so the idea of not being in the CL and losing that income is bad for business. In controlling the TV revenue themselves, and media rights, they control a steady income which what most businesses want.

I get that and I’d say, if they want to do it, let them, but don’t mix that model with other teams who don’t want to be in that model. So let them have their league but why do they want to stay in a league that they don’t want to be in?

Greed. Disgusting.

Don
I have zero faith in our government but if these plans end up forcing a proper review of football in this country and genuine change regarding ownership and the way money is distributed within the game, it could end up being the greatest thing that's happened to the game in my lifetime.

Don
Indeed, something similar to the 50+1 thing from Germany would be an absolute revelation. No more owners like the Glazers taking money out of clubs and putting nothing in.
Indeed, then we can seriously look at club run competitions that cut the likes of UEFA out of the game.

Soldato
Seems Guardiola has now come out and basically gone against the owners saying he is planning on playing in the Champions League next season as they deserve to be there and he doesn't think the Super League will happen

Associate
If this ESL happens, give it a few years these teams will be playing competitive (if you can call the ESL competitive)games in Asia and USA as a tour and they will hardly ever play 'home' matches again then maybe just sold or moved like a franchise.

Caporegime
If this ESL happens, give it a few years these teams will be playing competitive (if you can call the ESL competitive)games in Asia and USA as a tour and they will hardly ever play 'home' matches again then maybe just sold or moved like a franchise.

take that further, if it takes off, you would think the MLS owners would want a slice, then Chinese or Saudi teams. (I wouldn’t think South American teams will do it...their fans shoot players when they score own goals!)

You might end up a world super league, just jet around, 1 game a week.

Don
A variation of this will happen one day regardless of this League. The idea of a 39th PL game to be played overseas was floated 10+ years ago. The idea of playing games abroad is a much more complicated subject that some may think though. The growth of football in this country has largely been down to the globalisation of the sport & League. You only have to read this forum to see supporters constantly complaining about transfer spend (or the lack of it) but the money that funds this is largely coming from supporters overseas now. If we're going to take the spoils of this at some point you have to give something back to these supporters too.

Back
Top Bottom