The New European Super (borefest) League

More importantly, how would it work? We were valued at well over 2 billion last year so would it be a case of the supporters having to stump up 1 billion? :o

Tried that a few times and the preview never shows anything.
We'll go halves, don't worry.

And yea, you need to post it then refresh the page and it'll appear.

We don't have an inherent constitution or bill of rights. If something needs to be made legal parliament can do so if they want to.

I am not sure the government has got the minerals to take on a group of billionaire club owners. No doubt it would end up in some kind of court and cost millions to fight, not sure if the non football lovers section of the electorate would see that as a good use of their taxes.

I don't know enough about law but I'd have thought something like that would be challenged and take years to go through.

Any legal challenge would have to be due to an infringement of another legal right that wasn't properly considered. That's why Human Rights are often cited when laws are being challenged. I can easily imagine a situation where a Fan Ownership Trust has entitlement to 51% of the votes in the football club and no other rights at all. All the value remains with the current owners but fan control is maintained, probably achieving a nice balance between the public interest and private rights.

I am not sure the government has got the minerals to take on a group of billionaire club owners. No doubt it would end up in some kind of court and cost millions to fight, not sure if the non football lovers section of the electorate would see that as a good use of their taxes.

The minerals is the real issue!

English law though gives a lot of deference to the rights of Parliament to enact and change laws. This is one key area where the UK legal system is different to the USA (which has the constitution as the foundation legal document).

Any legal challenge would have to be due to an infringement of another legal right that wasn't properly considered. That's why Human Rights are often cited when laws are being challenged. I can easily imagine a situation where a Fan Ownership Trust has entitlement to 51% of the votes in the football club and no other rights at all. All the value remains with the current owners but fan control is maintained, probably achieving a nice balance between the public interest and private rights.

I shall take your word for it, if only I had faith in our government to do anything though. The cynic in me believes they've been happy to jump on the bandwagon and get a bit of good press at a time when they're getting a battering and when this all dies down they'll do nothing.

I shall take your word for it, if only I had faith in our government to do anything though. The cynic in me believes they've been happy to jump on the bandwagon and get a bit of good press at a time when they're getting a battering and when this all dies down they'll do nothing.

Nothing will happen, but that's because Boris will jump on the next thing that is grabbing the public's attention and he will have forgotten what happened the previous week. But that's a different story.

More importantly, how would it work? We were valued at well over 2 billion last year so would it be a case of the supporters having to stump up 1 billion? :o

The way to do it would be to ring fence an amount annually of each clubs tv deal to buy shares for fans. That way the owners are gradually bought out. Every PL club has to do it, no one is penalised.

I'll say this about the whole drama, reading about it on US news sites makes for interesting reading! Yesterday it was all about bringing the American model to Europe, just now on the WSJ:

Yet if American owners have had one thing in common in their sports ventures across the pond, it’s that they have never been quite prepared for how volatile the soccer ecosystem can be.

More importantly, how would it work? We were valued at well over 2 billion last year so would it be a case of the supporters having to stump up 1 billion?

If some like this did happen there would be a time limit for them to sell up. It might be valued at 2 billion now, but that would drop if they were forced to sell to fans or non-corporate buyers. The number of buyers and their wallets would dictate the price in the end.

It's been such a surreal last couple of days. This tweet sums up so much of the madness of the whole situation - Europe's elite has been defeated but they've got their expanded European format, more money, more security and Matt seems to be suggesting that they're going to get a greater say in the running of the competition too.

True, but I hope the the sheer hostility to the ESL means the bigger clubs realise that they're nothing without the smaller clubs, right now at least.

Not that I have much hope, but still..

I suspect the potential government intervention prompted Man City to drop out as they don't want laws passed that force them to sell up. And the longer this went on the higher the chance of that happening.

Man City and Chelsea most certainly joined because of FOMO, any extra profits would be a bonus, so they were in the easiest position to drop out.

There was an interesting point made on Sky tonight, I think, the first clubs to pull out are the ones whose owners aren't pillaging their clubs for cash, it's all about the kudos/PR for Roman and the Arab owners and not making cash.

I'll be honest, I'm actually a bit disappointed that the ESL idea is dead. Not because I was a fan of it, in fact I disliked the idea immensely but at least it was pushing for change to happen, I was hoping we'd land at a happy compromise.

The current distribution model for the Premier League is out dated and in my opinion, broken. How can I purchase NFL Gamepass and watch all my NFL teams games, yet be unable to do so for the football club I follow? Why do I have to resort to piracy to watch Arsenal games? I realise being able to do so would be a threat to TV money, but the truth is I'd continue to have Sky / BT etc as I'd still want to tune in for the big games of the weekend.

FFP has been a failure, success is for the most part now defined by how much money your owners want to throw into the club. There will be exceptions to this rule of course, but does anybody see anything other than Man City dominance for the next 10 years?

Add in the **** poor implementation of VAR, which I think 90% of fans despite in its current guise, issues with corruption at all levels of the game, I just find it hard to be excited for more of the same.

The ESL was crap, but at least it was different crap.

The game needs to change.

Back
Top Bottom