The New European Super (borefest) League

I don't think this is the end. It's just the closing of chapter 1. All the owners will still be in place and I would think they will have another go in the future.
Yep. In the short term, they'll all increase season ticket prices, they'll all provide their managers with less transfer money and they'll all get rid of staff now. It'll become a massive PR exercise to force the supporters to get on board.

I don't think this is the end. It's just the closing of chapter 1. All the owners will still be in place and I would think they will have another go in the future.
They've gone to far this time for them to try again in the near future. It'll be 5+ years before they'll try this again but they will, unless things are changed that prevent them.

They've gone to far this time for them to try again in the near future. It'll be 5+ years before they'll try this again but they will, unless things are changed that prevent them.

agreed, I didn't mean the near future as that would be suicide. However if nothing changes in the next few years they will just go again and basically cite the lack of change as the driver and would likely end up with more support in that case.

Would need to see how feasible is the German model, with fan owned part of the club?

and how is that going to happen ? I don't think governments can legislate for that and keep a serious face as it is basically forcing change of ownership of a private enterprise. Also how many people who would support said forced change of ownership were in full support of corbyns crackpot idea of forced house acquisitions in London from wealthy second owners to provide homes to the less well off ? you can't say you like one of those and not the other as they are basically the same thing in principle.

Plus the current Tory government will never interfere in this way as they love free market competition, it's what they basically sold the brexit dream on, so I can't see this happening as who is going to force those filthy weasels to sell 51% of their holdings to the fans when they are still rinsing millions out of them ?

and how is that going to happen ? I don't think governments can legislate for that and keep a serious face as it is basically forcing change of ownership of a private enterprise. Also how many people who would support said forced change of ownership were in full support of corbyns crackpot idea of forced house acquisitions in London from wealthy second owners to provide homes to the less well off ? you can't say you like one of those and not the other as they are basically the same thing in principle.

Plus the current Tory government will never interfere in this way as they love free market competition, it's what they basically sold the brexit dream on, so I can't see this happening as who is going to force those filthy weasels to sell 51% of their holdings to the fans when they are still rinsing millions out of them ?

It would be quite easy to legislate using a public interest argument. Football clubs are more than just a private enterprise as they tend to be integral part of a community and using a "Fan Ownership Trust" that anyone could buy an equal share in and which controls 51% of the voting shares (maybe not entitled to dividends or other rights though) in a football club would be easy to do.

Whether a government would want to do it is different.

Edit: and a Fan Ownership Trust wouldn't really set a precedent given recent years increased support for Employee Ownership and co-operative models.

Surely that's not true. I could imagine there were desperate talks behind the scenes from all involved and possible concessions made by UEFA but they can't offer something to one set of clubs and not another.
Would need to see how feasible is the German model, with fan owned part of the club?
I'm not sure of the legalities of forcing this onto privately owned clubs but something needs to change.

I'm not sure of the legalities of forcing this onto privately owned clubs but something needs to change.
More importantly, how would it work? We were valued at well over 2 billion last year so would it be a case of the supporters having to stump up 1 billion? :o

Click the media button (next to images) and then put the link it.
Tried that a few times and the preview never shows anything.

Edit: Oh, preview doesn't show anything but posting it does.

Back
Top Bottom