The New European Super (borefest) League

Arsenal statement:

The last few days have shown us yet again the depth of feeling our supporters around the world have for this great club and the game we love.

We needed no reminding of this but the response from supporters in recent days has given us time for further reflection and deep thought.

It was never our intention to cause such distress, however when the invitation to join the Super League came, while knowing there were no guarantees, we did not want to be left behind to ensure we protected Arsenal and its future.

As a result of listening to you and the wider football community over recent days we are withdrawing from the proposed Super League. We made a mistake, and we apologise for it.

We know it will take time to restore your faith in what we are trying to achieve here at Arsenal but let us be clear that the decision to be part of the Super League was driven by our desire to protect Arsenal, the club you love, and to support the game you love through greater solidarity and financial stability.

Stability is essential for the game to prosper and we will continue to strive to bring the security the game needs to move forward.

The system needs to be fixed. We must work together to find solutions which protect the future of the game and harness the extraordinary power football has to get us on the edge of our seats.

Finally, we know this has been hugely unsettling at the end of what has been an incredibly difficult year for us all.

Our aim is always to make the right decisions for this great football club, to protect it for the future and to take us forward. We didn’t make the right decision here, which we fully accept.

We have heard you.

The Arsenal Board

Surprised it's just died quicker than it appeared. Was it all real, or just a ploy to get more money from the Champions League? Did all the uproar actually change what the outcome was going to be?

Either way, glad the "status quo" continues, for now. The feeling of beating the elite, even if it wasn't real, just a small victory like this is good for the general public, like I said before I think this was bigger than football in a way.

Ultimately change does need to happen in football, but the principle of competition and the dream that any club can goto the top, however far fetched it seemed can never be taken away from it and us. So happy for now even though none of these clubs I supported anyway. Interesting to see what happens from here.

Seen this on twitter.
"Each club that was involved should have Steve Bruce as manager for a season as punishment"
It's been such a surreal last couple of days. This tweet sums up so much of the madness of the whole situation - Europe's elite has been defeated but they've got their expanded European format, more money, more security and Matt seems to be suggesting that they're going to get a greater say in the running of the competition too.
At what cost^^ some fans forget some don't. These changes were coming but they managed to get an extra 3 billion?

Last edited:
Did you read full Spurs statement? The first one I read was simply we are leaving the Super League. There is a more detailed one :)
This one? Seems more of a justification than apology not to mention a pile of lies
We can confirm that we have formally commenced procedures to withdraw from the group developing proposals for a European Super League (ESL).

Chairman Daniel Levy said: “We regret the anxiety and upset caused by the ESL proposal. We felt it was important that our club participated in the development of a possible new structure that sought to better ensure financial fair play and financial sustainability whilst delivering significantly increased support for the wider football pyramid.

“We believe that we should never stand still and that the sport should constantly review competitions and governance to ensure the game we all love continues to evolve and excite fans around the world.

“We should like to thank all those supporters who presented their considered opinions.”

Our statement is just pathetic, FSG won't recover any fans from this imo

They'll be banking on probably not actually losing any fans, over what will be looked back on as a relatively 'minor' event.

In 2 years time when Liverpool are lining up for another Champions League Final or something, they know full well life long Liverpool fans won't be sat at home watching Eastenders on catchup instead because 2 years prior they said they'd join a competition that never materialised.

They'll be banking on probably not actually losing any fans, over what will be looked back on as a relatively 'minor' event.

In 2 years time when Liverpool are lining up for another Champions League Final or something, they know full well life long Liverpool fans won't be sat at home watching Eastenders on catchup instead because 2 years prior they said they'd join a competition that never materialised.
They will lose some, there was a minority already very anti FSG and wanting them gone before this.

Me personally, if it went ahead I wouldn't of stopped watching us, as it was never the players or managers fault.

However even the game we had vs Leeds felt pointless as if super league was ongoing ahead a chase for 4th was meaningless

It’s also laughable that Man City and Chelsea are trying to work their way out of it claiming it was a sudden decision...

...so you’re telling me two billionaires, one set who happen to run a country were pressured into hastily signing a contract for fear of missing out? Pull the other one...do they think fans were born yesterday? Oh that’s right, they do!

It’s also laughable that Man City and Chelsea are trying to work their way out of it claiming it was a sudden decision...

...so you’re telling me two billionaires, one set who happen to run a country were pressured into hastily signing a contract for fear of missing out? Pull the other one...do they think fans were born yesterday? Oh that’s right, they do!

Man City fans were born yesterday. Lol

It all did seem a bit rushed though, no significant leaks beforehand and an absolute truckload of unanswered questions / ill-thought out proposal. I'm sure there has been plenty going on behind the scenes but for whatever reason they weren't able to articulate a proper vision, it was like they came up with an idea and said "right lads, we HAVE to get this story out there before the CL reforms are announced, no time to test the waters and we can figure out the details later. We need an answer NOW, are you in or out?"

Not for one moment suggesting that makes it acceptable btw, just highlighting how they collectively messed up timing wise.

Back
Top Bottom