The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
I want to get back into Canon but the cost is about double of Sony and quality is blow for blow.
The ergonomics of the R5 are better than any Sony camera I’ve used, the feel and grip are just in another league, the button placement is also excellent and the menu system is a lot easier to navigate, I think the Sony menu is a mess.

It feels just like a DSLR body, identical pretty much to the 5D mk4 in terms of size which was also a great camera to use.

Caporegime
The ergonomics of the R5 are better than any Sony camera I’ve used, the feel and grip are just in another league, the button placement is also excellent and the menu system is a lot easier to navigate, I think the Sony menu is a mess.

It feels just like a DSLR body, identical pretty much to the 5D mk4 in terms of size which was also a great camera to use.

...I know? lol

Hence why I want to go back, but that's not worth spending an additional 5 figures for to get the same set up.

Caporegime
I know you know, I was letting you know I know, you know? :D

Does it help that I also know? and that I know you know that Ray knows and now you know I know? :D

To be fair to Sony the A1 addressed a lot of these issues. Like raymond, I really couldnt swap because of the £10k invested in Sony glass now and would gain little except ergonomics.

SO went the next best thing and got the A1

I have it set up so the menus and buttons work as I want them to so I never have to go into the menu (which is much improved). The three memory's on the dial I have set to my portrait, action and landscape settings. I rarely ever venture from those.

There really isnt anything else I want from a camera body now. The A1 is 99% perfect. The 1% would be a full rotating rear screen. Thats it.

Caporegime
I take the same photos I do with my 5D4 and my A73. I don't think the A73's focus is bad at all, i am sure there are better but I don't feel like i am fighting it. The DR is actually still one of the best, better than the R5 i beleive. I could get 3 x A73 for 1 x R5 so it makes no business sense to change, even if it can be a tax write off.

9rOEkhx.jpg

y90tDUh.jpg

De1Q1zn.jpg

And

And

Associate
It's the body that has succeeded in getting images I've tried (and failed at) with other bodies.

Global shutter plus any AF and ISO improvements would be on my wishlist for a mark II.

There really isn't anything else I want from a camera body now. The A1 is 99% perfect. The 1% would be a full rotating rear screen. That's it.

@ Captain - that's an excellent camera you've picked up there, congrats and enjoy.

Caporegime
It's the body that has succeeded in getting images I've tried (and failed at) with other bodies.

Global shutter plus any AF and ISO improvements would be on my wishlist for a mark II.

@ Captain - that's an excellent camera you've picked up there, congrats and enjoy.

Oh dont get me wrong, the next giant leap forward will be global shutter, true in sensor ND adjustment, organic sensors with a DR of 30 etc etc.

Once cameras like that are out nobody will want to use the current cameras and sensors.

But for now I cant think of any reason I would change.

Soldato
Trying to decide whether I want the 15-35 2.8 or the 14-35 F4.

I don’t massively need 2.8 and I’ll most likely shoot with the 15-35 stopped down to 5.6 where it’s at its sharpest but I’m guessing that the 15-35 would be sharper at 5.6 than the 14-35 at 5.6.

Soldato
Any one have a Sony a7r IV and use a sony 200-600 ?

Looking at the extra pixels for birds etc and require the quiet shutter sound and good video, currently have the d850 with 150-600c and a couple of other lenses.

Back
Top Bottom