The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Man of Honour
My own lightroom colour grade preset that I apply to everything that is taken with my phone or dslr which became my signature look years ago so it's just 2nd nature now.

I'll upload the direct ungraded image when home this evening for reference!

Soldato
My own lightroom colour grade preset that I apply to everything that is taken with my phone or dslr which became my signature look years ago so it's just 2nd nature now.

I'll upload the direct ungraded image when home this evening for reference!
Nice one, look forward to seeing the difference between them. :)

Soldato
Have just bought a Sony A7CR as a replacement/upgrade for my A7 IV. I also have a 6400 that I use some of my older APC lenses on - I'm hoping that using them on the A7CR at 24MP will be a lot better than using them on the A7IV (came out about 10 ish)....so I can also get rid of the 6400.

It feels so small!

Man of Honour
Nice one, look forward to seeing the difference between them. :)
As promised!

z9VtpXl.jpg

ff153Ql.jpg

It feels so small!
That's what she said!

Soldato
Have just bought a Sony A7CR as a replacement/upgrade for my A7 IV. I also have a 6400 that I use some of my older APC lenses on - I'm hoping that using them on the A7CR at 24MP will be a lot better than using them on the A7IV (came out about 10 ish)....so I can also get rid of the 6400.

It feels so small!

Do you happen to know (or anyone else) if Sony medium and small raw files are yet supported by lighroom/acr and its ai de-noise?

Caporegime
Ah poo, I just came to the realisation that I need a new camera bag. The Ryker is the perfect size as a daily except I need a bag that can fit the same stuff but with space for an iPad Air (11 inch) for the plane.

Any suggestions besides the Peak Design 6L?

and no...I am not selling the Ryker lol

Last edited:
Associate
Surely lowepro have something to offer. I can't fault the backpack I use. They appear to have a ridiculous amount of various bags. Although maybe I'm out of touch with the bag 'in crowd' ?

Soldato
I was considering buying a gimbal for my Canon R5, but then reminded myself that they are not exactly travel friendly, they cost a lot and I kept asking myself; realstically how often am I actually going to use it on my R5. As if my R5 is on a gimbal, I'm not going to be taking photos with it! I want something to take quick video which is stablisised excellant daytime quality and good low light.

My dad has had the DJI Pocket 2 for a year and got on well with it and I was impressed by how well it stablising footage.

I had seen that the DJI Pocket 3 was released just before Christmas and I couldn't really find a bad review about it. Interestingly, there are a few comparsion videos where it's pitted against a few mirrorless cameras with a nice lens and it stands up very well.

QUesekp.png

It arrived today, it's early days but I'm impressed! It's all round a very nice package. Footage looks very clean and detailed, I've dialed down the sharpness a touch and noise reduction and it's a very pleasing image. Looks like it's going to fit the bill for travel video capture. The gimbal looks a little out there and exposed and I do wish it had some kind of weather sealing, so I will definitely be purchasing the DJI Care Refresh for it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I was considering buying a gimbal for my Canon R5, but then reminded myself that they are not exactly travel friendly, they cost a lot and I kept asking myself; realstically how often am I actually going to use it on my R5. As if my R5 is on a gimbal, I'm not going to be taking photos with it! I want something to take quick video which is stablisised excellant daytime quality and good low light.

My dad has had the DJI Pocket 2 for a year and got on well with it and I was impressed by how well it stablising footage.

I had seen that the DJI Pocket 3 was released just before Christmas and I couldn't really find a bad review about it. Interestingly, there are a few comparsion videos where it's pitted against a few mirrorless cameras with a nice lens and it stands up very well.

QUesekp.png

It arrived today, it's early days but I'm impressed! It's all round a very nice package. Footage looks very clean and detailed, I've dialed down the sharpness a touch and noise reduction and it's a very pleasing image. Looks like it's going to fit the bill for travel video capture. The gimbal looks a little out there and exposed and I do wish it had some kind of weather sealing, so I will definitely be purchasing the DJI Care Refresh for it.

I want this too but I got the original Mk1, which only used on 3 trips. I should use it more before I can justify it. The main thing with the 3rd one is the joystick is now built in, not an attachment.

Caporegime
I just got the Sling 6L. i am trying to fit the following…

Fuji XS10 with Smallrig base
Attached with 23/1.4
35/1.5
2 spare Fuji batteries
SD card
10,000 mha battery bank (SHARGE Icemag)
USB cable.
Fuji Instax printer.
iPad Air with Magic Keyboard
Passport in Passport wallet with cash and 5 cards.
Car Key with 2 keys.
Small Rocket blower

Bonus

Nintendo Switch or Steam Deck.

The good news is that the iPad fits, it’s tight but it fits.

The bad news is that due to the taper nature of the bag, the bottom is narrower than the top, meaning putting the camera sideways doesn’t really work. Especially if the XS10 has the Smallrig base attached. The form factor forces the lens facing down. Not the easiest position to get the camera back out in this layout because I have to sit it in the center with the 2 flaps flanking it facing in, tightly. I have to remove the smallrig base too.

This leaves just enough space either side, one side for the 34/1.4 and one side for the battery bank.

In the end, it doesn’t really fit and feels like I am stretching and putting too much stress on the zip. But unlike my Ryker, where I had the same setup, minus the iPad. I was able to fit a 500ml bottle of water too inside, and even a 56/1.2 as well.

I had to leave out the small rocket blower. The small rig base and even remove the pen I have clipped onto the passport wallet.

There is 100% no space for the Switch or Steam Deck though, no space for water and my keys would have to share the same space as the camera in the main compartment.

Btw, I can’t believe it’s 6L…it feels so small, if I didn’t get the iPad in there I would’ve of thought it’s the 3L they sent in error.

The dealbreaker really is not able to have the XS10 with the base on, even with the plate off but with the PD square plate for the capture clip it is too tall. I think a XE4 or the X100 would work but the mirror box added that extra inch which is too much.

Going to return it and get the 10L.

Last edited:
Soldato
I want this too but I got the original Mk1, which only used on 3 trips. I should use it more before I can justify it. The main thing with the 3rd one is the joystick is now built in, not an attachment.
You would definitely need to use it more to justify the purchase, it's not cheap at all. Quite a few number of improvements have been made since the Mk1 though. With it being released in 2018, I think most phones these days would provide a better overall quality of video, minus the stablisation, of course.

I do think that DJI could potentially hurt / disrupte the video mirrorless market, especially if they continue to improve the Pocket (zoom lens, if possible in the small form factor). In good light there is not much in it between a full frame sensor, I guess this specs volumes with their optics. In low light, it doesn't do as well, but it's still impressive and way better than my phone.

I just got the Sling 6L. i am trying to fit the following…

Fuji XS10 with Smallrig base
Attached with 23/1.4
35/1.5
2 spare Fuji batteries
SD card
10,000 mha battery bank (SHARGE Icemag)
USB cable.
Fuji Instax printer.
iPad Air with Magic Keyboard
Passport in Passport wallet with cash and 5 cards.
Car Key with 2 keys.
Small Rocket blower

Bonus

Nintendo Switch or Steam Deck.

The good news is that the iPad fits, it’s tight but it fits.

The bad news is that due to the taper nature of the bag, the bottom is narrower than the top, meaning putting the camera sideways doesn’t really work. Especially if the XS10 has the Smallrig base attached. The form factor forces the lens facing down. Not the easiest position to get the camera back out in this layout because I have to sit it in the center with the 2 flaps flanking it facing in, tightly. I have to remove the smallrig base too.

This leaves just enough space either side, one side for the 34/1.4 and one side for the battery bank.

In the end, it doesn’t really fit and feels like I am stretching and putting too much stress on the zip. But unlike my Ryker, where I had the same setup, minus the iPad. I was able to fit a 500ml bottle of water too inside, and even a 56/1.2 as well.

I had to leave out the small rocket blower. The small rig base and even remove the pen I have clipped onto the passport wallet.

There is 100% no space for the Switch or Steam Deck though, no space for water and my keys would have to share the same space as the camera in the main compartment.

Btw, I can’t believe it’s 6L…it feels so small, if I didn’t get the iPad in there I would’ve of thought it’s the 3L they sent in error.

The dealbreaker really is not able to have the XS10 with the base on, even with the plate off but with the PD square plate for the capture clip it is too tall. I think a XE4 or the X100 would work but the mirror box added that extra inch which is too much.

Going to return it and get the 10L.

That's a lot to be packing. Be good to see a photo of this in the 10L.

Speaking of the Steam Deck, as much as I absolutely love it and haven't touched my Switch since getting one. I am questioning taking it on a trip, as it's just that bit too big. even with a Tomtoc case which is pretty slim.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You would definitely need to use it more to justify the purchase, it's not cheap at all. Quite a few number of improvements have been made since the Mk1 though. With it being released in 2018, I think most phones these days would provide a better overall quality of video, minus the stablisation, of course.

I do think that DJI could potentially hurt / disrupte the video mirrorless market, especially if they continue to improve the Pocket (zoom lens, if possible in the small form factor). In good light there is not much in it between a full frame sensor, I guess this specs volumes with their optics. In low light, it doesn't do as well, but it's still impressive and way better than my phone.

That's a lot to be packing. Be good to see a photo of this in the 10L.

Speaking of the Steam Deck, as much as I absolutely love it and haven't touched my Switch since getting one. I am questioning taking it on a trip, as it's just that bit too big. even with a Tomtoc case which is pretty slim.

Well…it struggles to fit the XS10 with 23/1.4 (no hood) lens attached and the 35mm loose with iPad and passport…before all the other stuff. Just those 4 things.

I mean it does but I am pulling fabric closer to zip tight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom