*** The new MacBook/MacBook Pro thread, all info in here ***

Permabanned
OP
So if i want a white Macbook, and a cheaper one i got to buy now ?!!

Apparently the current base model MacBook (White/Black) is going to be priced at $999, I'll be getting that one IF current rumours are correct. :)

Rather have the White MB with a non glossy screen tbfh.

Soldato
Not sure I like the idea of no discreet mouse button. I appreciate you can tap the pad to click but it feels counter-intuitive to me, I actually like having a seperate button for mouse clicks. Doing away completely with a seperate mouse button also further alienates the gaming market (move or attack - you decide!) and I can't imagine it being pretty intuitive with tasks that would normally be seamless with seperate functions for clicking and movement. *shrug*

Though I suppose useability is of little concern to most fanboys, I actually read a comment on one forum where someone said "a mouse button just makes the trackpad look ugly". I'm all for innovation when it brings noticeable benefits - e.g. multi-touch zooming, etc - but innovations that just slow people down and/or force them to interact with Macs completely differently to the accepted norm isn't really progress imo. :(

From what I've read too a lot of people are going mental over the possibility of this MBP being glossy-screen only.

Permabanned
OP
What are the differences between the two screen types?

Gloss is worse for colour reproduction or something.

The main thing I hate about gloss is that you are constantly fighting with the screen because of reflections, it annoys the hell out of me on my parents laptop!

On matte screens however reflections are minimal at best.

Soldato
Some people say matte has better colour reproduction as the glossy over-colours things.
When I bought my MBP I looked at both screens and thought glossy looked a lot better, once calibrated properly it doesnt matter that much as its matched up to what it should show anyway. I think its just people having an option taking away from them and getting bitchy about it.

If matte/glossy was never an option no one would ever complain about the MBP screens, much better than a lot of other laptop screens ive used

Glossy can be quite annoying if you have the sun anywhere near you as its very hard to see the screen with all the reflection/brightness. But I bought mine with glossy and I havent had any problems.

Permabanned
OP
I like glossy, except for the horrible reflection. I was at my friends house and we was watching some YouTube videos but the reflection was just horrible, the sun wasn't shining on the laptop (sun wasn't even out!) but the reflection was still quite rampant.

Soldato
From what I've seen, Apple's glossy screens are not as bad as other brand especially the MacBook Pros because of its automatic screen brightness which helps counter the reflection by increasing the brightness.

Also, it's unfair to comment on glossy screens that aren't switched on since it's the worst case scenario :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Some people say matte has better colour reproduction as the glossy over-colours things.
When I bought my MBP I looked at both screens and thought glossy looked a lot better, once calibrated properly it doesnt matter that much as its matched up to what it should show anyway. I think its just people having an option taking away from them and getting bitchy about it.
Depends really. Glossy screens make it impossible to accurately calibrate a screen against a traditional matte-finish LCD for proofing, etc. Basically glossy - whilst nice to look at - distorts your colour perception, etc.

As a consumer I like glossy screens as they just look prettier (imo), but as someone who needs to be able to rely on consistency across several disparate screens.

Associate
specs for the macbooks dont look great after reading the rumour sites. I hope apple pull a few suprises or i shall be buying a Dell 13" XPS.

Been waiting for these for ages aswell :(

Soldato
Will this not kinda be like the iPod Touch? A new version comes out, but doesn't have enough features that warrant the upgrade for current owners?

Could be wrong, but it just looks like something thats good for newcomers, which is fine if thats their plan! But i was hoping for something a bit...more.

Permabanned
Will this not kinda be like the iPod Touch? A new version comes out, but doesn't have enough features that warrant the upgrade for current owners?

Could be wrong, but it just looks like something thats good for newcomers, which is fine if thats their plan! But i was hoping for something a bit...more.

The truth, that isnt apples fault, the Computer indusrty has been a little stale for a while, apple have tried their best by making new shells, glass touchpads, decent gfx in the macbook, is what toshiba and HP offering this year so much better then previous years?

I will be upgrading for the Styling, the fact I should be able to put 4GB in which will give a good boost, bigger hardrive, damn site better gfx then my intel 950

Permabanned
If I had the current model macbook/pro I wouldnt think about upgrading. Mine is 2 years old so it is tempting and Im selling my PC so that will raise funds for a new macbook :)

we are in the same boat:D

my blackbook is a 2.16ghz merom I think, Im pretty sure the 2.4ghz penryn will give me more then 233mhz boost

Soldato
The truth, that isnt apples fault, the Computer indusrty has been a little stale for a while, apple have tried their best by making new shells, glass touchpads, decent gfx in the macbook, is what toshiba and HP offering this year so much better then previous years?

I will be upgrading for the Styling, the fact I should be able to put 4GB in which will give a good boost, bigger hardrive, damn site better gfx then my intel 950

Yea i see your point. Just that Macbooks cost more than most laptops, just seems a waste if someone is upgrading for the sake of it. But i understand were your coming from and can easily see why someone would for a 2 year old Macbook or something.

Permabanned
Yea i see your point. Just that Macbooks cost more than most laptops, just seems a waste if someone is upgrading for the sake of it. But i understand were your coming from and can easily see why someone would for a 2 year old Macbook or something.

Thats the problem with Mac's people compare them too much to PC's.

Jez Clarkson explained apple best while comparing 2 cars on Top Gear

He compared the Ferrari 575 and the Chevy Corvette ZR1, The ZR1 was a mach for the ferrari in everything including internal features, Speed etc.
He then said you could have 3 ZR1's for the price of the Ferrari.

He then finished by saying I know what I would choose and slipped into the Ferrari and drove off;)

Apple can charge their prices because they are Apple, HP and Co dont have their Charisma, in a recent pole in the UK on Style Icons, number 1 was : Aston Martin, 2 was iPhone and 3 was Apple.

I bet HP, never made the list.

If all those PC's company's could charge apples prices they would:D

Associate
I've been considering a MB/MBP for some time now im probably going to get one of these, they look so hawt if the leaked images are true representations. Ooo i cant wait :x

Back
Top Bottom