*** The new MacBook/MacBook Pro thread, all info in here ***

Associate
Hmmm seems like a good idea to do that then just in case, thanks. Do memory and HDD upgrades get a discount through the Higher Education store too?

Commissario
Only £20...!

Thats almost a 100% price increase... its true, one born every minuet...

I'm not sure what you're insinuating there, perhaps you would like to explain because it was obviously aimed at me.

I looked at the cost of buying 4Gb of Crucial memory for my new Macbook Pro, it was around £60. To have 4Gb supplied and fitted by Apple when I ordered my laptop was around £80.

I considered that extra £20 worth paying. I get manufacturer supplied memory, it's covered by warranty and I don't have to pull the machine apart when it arrives to fit the third party stuff. In fact, I didn't need to think about it twice, it was a complete and utter no brainer.

Soldato
to summarise HarryPainful believes that 33% is almost 100% ?

The only mistake I can see him having made is that he presumed that the new macbook pro's come with ddr2? In which case you need to do more reading before posting. Or go back to the general hardware forum.

Soldato
The only thing that worries me is that you don't 'wan't' to pull it appart :o ...you're a member of the wrong forum hehe.

In all seriousness though, I keep looking at the damn things again, thinking, maybe if I have one that works properly and doesn't have any overheating issues I would like it. I dunno, I'm going to put it down to fleeting moments of madness. I do not want another Apple, I do not need one, I don't like OSX all that much, it's a shiny over priced trinket for people that drive Audi TT's and have hairstyles. Yet still the ruddy thing draws my attention for some reason. Grrr.

Soldato
I've been doing it for ...I guess about 13 years now in all, and for a living for 7 years, I'm still not bored. Well I am but not with the enthusiast side of things, the interesting stuff :D

Associate
I like pulling PCs apart and messing around with components too! But I'll save that for a desktop PC, as for this Mac I just want it to work reliably, without much hassle :)

I saw the £80 vs £60 prices too Feek, and if the HE discount counts the difference is even smaller.

Soldato
So does anyone here have a Unibody Macbook upgraded with 4Gb of Crucial ram and running Windows 7 64-bit, and not had any problems at all?

I'm probably just being over-cautious, but if paying more for Apple ram could avoid problems I'd like to know. Thanks :)

I'm close... 4GB of Crucial DDR3 in a new Mac Mini so it's the same RAM on the same chipset. No problems as yet in OS X or Windows 7.

Man of Honour
After a fair few years of wanting, I just gave in :D

2.4Ghz macbook is on its way to me! Added 4GB of memory in a 'what the hell' moment and the obligatory printer for a tenner after rebate. For all this time, the expense is what stopped me from buying....until a few days ago when a colleague asked me to 'set up' a Macbook he'd just bought over the weekend. I'm not sure what 'setting up' he thought was necessary, but anyway, having to give it back on Monday was the final push.

Like Feek said, messing about with computers gets old after a while. I wanted a laptop that 'just works' as well as my iphone. Couldn't really think of an alternative in the end. Roll on 8th April / any-convenient-date-before-then-please :)

Soldato
Quick question....MacBookPro's have that new 'glass' touchpad thing that clicks down does it not?

As a curiosity, how does Left & Right click work with that? Or is it like normal mac laptops where you have to hold in the function key still?

Associate
Dont like to do this but free time to learn about mac's is short atm, so i need some help pls dudes.

A friends son is a pretty talented artist in particular drawing manga, and wants to get into the industry. So she wants to buy him a mac lappy for the various courses he's going to take, budget at around £800 .
So are the new entry level notebooks up to the task of photoshop plus any other programs he's ganna need to learn ? Or is the better option looking for an older model ?

Please just link me up with any articles and reviews that are out there, i just know PC based stuff. Many thanks.

Soldato
If he's going to do digital art he needs a good tablet.
He doesn't need a portable machine, really.

He should get an iMac and a Wacom tablet if he's doing some college course that uses Macs. Otherwise get the tablet and build a PC.

A laptop isn't hugely beneficial for doing work on due to the restrictive battery life and small screen.

Soldato
What's the difference between the late 15" 2008 Macbook Pro's and the 2009 ones?

I might have the chance of buying a secondhand 2.53Ghz version, but you can't get this anymore from the Apple store anymore.

Just wondered what the difference was?

Permabanned
What's the difference between the late 15" 2008 Macbook Pro's and the 2009 ones?

I might have the chance of buying a secondhand 2.53Ghz version, but you can't get this anymore from the Apple store anymore.

Just wondered what the difference was?

Not a lot, in fact i just bought myself a brand new late 2008 model for a bargain price. If you want to be 'cool' and have the latest sexy toy then get the new one.

I got the 2.5ghz 6mb L2 cache, 4 Gb Ram, 512 gfx card, 15" matte screen with 3 years of apple care for £1300. If you were to buy the new entry model you do get the better trackpad and gfx card (half as much gfx ram mind), gloss screen (yuck) but you only get 2.4ghz and 3mb L2 cache and you also lose the DVI port.

I know I got a good deal and am very happy! :D

Soldato
Not a lot, in fact i just bought myself a brand new late 2008 model for a bargain price. If you want to be 'cool' and have the latest sexy toy then get the new one.

I got the 2.5ghz 6mb L2 cache, 4 Gb Ram, 512 gfx card, 15" matte screen with 3 years of apple care for £1300. If you were to buy the new entry model you do get the better trackpad and gfx card (half as much gfx ram mind), gloss screen (yuck) but you only get 2.4ghz and 3mb L2 cache and you also lose the DVI port.

I know I got a good deal and am very happy! :D

I didn't realise there was that many differences.

I thought it was the same GFX Card between the late 08 and 09 versions?

Wikipedia suggests that the only difference is the CPU and the DVI Port?

Back
Top Bottom