*** The new MacBook/MacBook Pro thread, all info in here ***

Thanks for the advice, both of you.

I'm guessing the 2.53Ghz use to be the highest spec 15" then?

Slightly off topic, but has anyone here ever bought AppleCare off eBay before? Is a whole lot cheaper.

Thanks for the advice, both of you.

I'm guessing the 2.53Ghz use to be the highest spec 15" then?

Slightly off topic, but has anyone here ever bought AppleCare off eBay before? Is a whole lot cheaper.

If your a uni student then you will be able to get the applecare for free if you choose to get a new mac and use the higher education store.

For your original question, I honestly couldn't see a problem in buying applecare off ebay, just ensure that the applecare is specific to your make and model of mac :)

I'm waiting until June 4th to see what's announced as although my MBP is broken, I'm using my NC 10 and PC in the mean time.

Of course, my PC's hard disk has gone kaput as it's one of the faulty Seagates, but with a KVM I can get by on my NC 10, just without blu-rays and Outlook :D

I'm also about to buy a MBP, but rather than wait till after June 4th, i may get it as soon as i have the money (should be a couple of days)
i figured that at this conference they will give a release date of snow leopard (probably sept-oct) and may give their computer range a little speed bump.
i dont think such the long wait is worth it, i can always buy snow leopard once it comes out, and its pretty much guaranteed that apple arnt going to do anything drastic with their laptops considering the complete redesign at the start of the year.
am i right in thinking this?

The latest boards (the 2.66 CPU and higher) support 8Gb.
Hard drive size is limited by the drive not the machine really. 500Gb seems to be the biggest notebook drive at the mo.

Last edited:
Thinking of getting my first mac for my birthday in june. It will be the entry level aluminuim one (uni-body?) and i just need a few questions answering.

Will i need any addition software in terms of anti virus or will the macbook be fine without any of that extra bloat?

Does the touch pad work well or is it worth getting a mighty mouse too?

Would Apple be the best place to buy the macbook or shall i look elsewhere considering the decreased price. Is it the same package or are you left without warranty or anything?

Also how easy would it be to transfer my itunes music/applications to the macbook from my pc or if i can from my ipod touch?

Sorry if some of these questions sound a bit strange or stupid but just need a few things cleared up. :)

nope you dont need any antivirus software.

DO NOT get a might mouse. invest in something more pactical. i have the mx revolution

all new macs come with 1 year warrenty. you can extend this warrenty by 2 years for £50 with the further education dicount.or you get it for free with the higher education discount. (if your eligible)

there is lots of software out there that takes your music from your ipod and allows you to put in on your computer. downloading apps is easy through itunes as its all tied to the account you make in the itunes store.

hope this helps

Thinking of getting my first mac for my birthday in june. It will be the entry level aluminuim one (uni-body?) and i just need a few questions answering.

Will i need any addition software in terms of anti virus or will the macbook be fine without any of that extra bloat?

Does the touch pad work well or is it worth getting a mighty mouse too?

Would Apple be the best place to buy the macbook or shall i look elsewhere considering the decreased price. Is it the same package or are you left without warranty or anything?

Also how easy would it be to transfer my itunes music/applications to the macbook from my pc or if i can from my ipod touch?

Sorry if some of these questions sound a bit strange or stupid but just need a few things cleared up. :)

AV - will be fine without. There's only a couple of viruses out there in the wild for OS X and they're not nasty and you'll only catch then if you download from dodgy sites.

Touch Pad - I don't like them personally but the one on my MBP is one of the most usable. I can use it for short periods, but prefer a proper Bluetooth mouse. Try something from Logitech.

Buying - no one discounts Apple kit by more than a few quid. You're best going to your local apple store to have a good look at one, then buying one there. Educational discount is available.

iTunes can be transferred OK, easiest way is to load up your iPod and use something like Senuti to import back] back into iTunes.

Thanks for answering the questions guys, and about the price, i was only wondering about it because direct from the apple store its £929 and from the "rainforest" its £847. Dont think i will be able to get the education discount because im not in school anymore.

I will try and get to my nearest apple store one day though and have a play with one. :)

Like Blackhawk I'm also getting a MBP for uni next year, is the 128GB SSD worth it? I know SSD prices fall very rapidly but if it makes a massive difference to loading times I'll go with it. Would love a laptop which boots within seconds, not 5 minutes like this Sony "state of the art" piece of rubbish I'm using now.

Realistically I never, ever shut down my MBP, just close the lid and let it go to sleep. It wakes from sleep in a couple of seconds to being fully usable and that's without an SSD.

Right, I'll save my money then.

Another question for you Apple boys.
I've got 140GB of music linked to iTunes on my Windows laptop. I know it's easy to transfer this music to the Mac (it's currently on an external HD but I'd rather have it on the actual Mac if I were to get a MBP) but how easy is it to move the actual iTunes library so I still have my play counts/ratings/play lists/date added and other meta data. Is this even possible?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom