*** The new MacBook/MacBook Pro thread, all info in here ***

Soldato
So, got my MB today :)

Annoyed though as it has a small (imagine drawing pin ***** size) mark/dent right near the touchpad.... Just contemplating whether it is worth exchanging for another at my nearest Apple Store or not?? Seems petty but it will no doubt annoy me - just don't want to look like a madman at the store! :o

Apart from that it's an amazingly well put together laptop - miles ahead of my old Dell M1330. Not sure how i'm gonna get on with OS X but that's another story entirely!

Soldato
pioneer2000, if you're not happy with it I would go in and get it exchanged. Should be completely happy with something of that cost.

Commissario
Just so you know, when you go to track it on the TNT website, Apple shipments are counted as International so you have to do it via the International page here.

Out of interest, what machine and custom spec did you order?

Beany, it's only speculation that there will be new stuff in June but that's still three months away so if you need a new machine I'd order now. Prices are sure to effectively increase then, I'm convinced of that after what happened last week.

Associate
Hi Guys,

I've also been pondering getting a MAC pro for ages now, so as a percentage what does the HE discount roughly equate to on say a 15" Macpro?

Thanks

Soldato
Does anyone know how to get Msn to run at startup on Windows 7 (running via boot camp)? I know this is actually a Windows 7 problem but I'm sure I got it working somehow (i.e. so it actually appears alongside the clock) but now nothing I do seems to fix it....

Also, are all Macbooks haunted by poor quality screens? This seems to have a very poor vertical viewing angle and a certain amount of backlight bleed / white smear...

Man of Honour
Also, are all Macbooks haunted by poor quality screens? This seems to have a very poor vertical viewing angle and a certain amount of backlight bleed / white smear...

I think so, I've looked at the macbook screen before and thought it was alright really. Not as good as the pro but alright. Then I saw one connected to a cinema display the other day side by side, it's incredible how washed out the colours looked - I mean really terrible...

Commissario
I took my laptop into the Lakeside store today because when it arrived, I noticed that the battery cover was dented quite heavily right by the hard drive. I'd probably not have noticed it if I'd not swapped out the hard drive straight away so it was a good job I did that.

I called Applecare as soon as I noticed it and they booked me in for today. Wandered into the store with my laptop, they guy had a look, strolled out the back and then told me that there were two options. Either I contact the Online Store (through which it was bought) and they'd provide me with a brand new replacement laptop or they could just give me a replacement cover on the spot.

I went with the latter option, seemed a lot easier to me. I was impressed that I was offered a complete replacement system because the cover was dented though.

Now posting from bed :)

Associate
Hi! I've been planning to get a 2.4 Macbook, install 4GB of Crucial ram myself, and use bootcamp for Windows 7 64-bit.

I've been told there have been some well-known problems with 4GB 3rd party ram upgrades and Windows, with random freezes and crashes. I don't seem to have heard of a widespread problem like this until now, but this person's warning was enough to make me wanna investigate before ordering. Nothing to do with Windows 32-bit ram limits btw, just mystery "freezes".

So does anyone here have a Unibody Macbook upgraded with 4Gb of Crucial ram and running Windows 7 64-bit, and not had any problems at all?

I'm probably just being over-cautious, but if paying more for Apple ram could avoid problems I'd like to know. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom