The new Samsung Odyssey G9 Mini Led

Associate
I have a feeling that my comments are only of interest to a minority but if it helps one person I guess it has value. As I mentioned, possibly due to my age I find 3D gaming on this ultrawide monitor has had a somewhat disorientating effect. Possibly I am now getting used to it as I did not feel it as much when gaming last night. Also I work at home (nothing to do with COVID) and I switch between my PC and my work laptop & 2nd monitor on a regular basis. I am currently finding that when I quickly move from looking at the G9 to looking at the flat 24" monitor my brain actually sees it as slightly convex for a few seconds!

Soldato
I have decided to keep my original G9 as the SDR performance is fine on this and the backlight is pretty decent on my model with no bleed anywhere.

I was going to upgrade to the Neo later in the year but thought better of it.

I took advantage of the LG 48C1 at £999.00 today and have set that up for HDR gaming.
From the games I have tested on the C1 today, Windows HDR works fine.

Assassins Creed washed out on the G9 while on the LG it was pretty much perfect.

TLDR: The G9 and Neo are fantastic for SDR content. An OLED just works with HDR.

Associate
So I am guessing everyone here also has HDR+FALD enabled issues.

Does FALD also increase brightness or just try to make blacks deeper?

Becuase when I have it enabled on my Neo, it makes all light sources ingame more dimm, and makes all dark areas look more grey.

When I disable FALD, all light sources become more punchy, and dark areas stay dark with pretty good looking contrast.

FALD just doesn't seem useable on my unit, well atleast in HDR. Haven't really tried SDR+FALD yet.

Associate
So I am guessing everyone here also has HDR+FALD enabled issues.

Does FALD also increase brightness or just try to make blacks deeper?

Becuase when I have it enabled on my Neo, it makes all light sources ingame more dimm, and makes all dark areas look more grey.

When I disable FALD, all light sources become more punchy, and dark areas stay dark with pretty good looking contrast.

FALD just doesn't seem useable on my unit, well atleast in HDR. Haven't really tried SDR+FALD yet.
Exactly the same issue for me. I have Fald disabled on mine for both hdr and sdr.

Last edited:
Associate
Its not acceptable to pay this much money for a monitor that is advertised to have HDR2000 and 2048 dimming zones, but not able to use them together.

This has to be addressed, and soon or it will be going back. I am sure a lot of other owners will be in the same boat.

Associate
Mine would be going back after 2 weeks.
HDR definitely looks better without LocalDimming and it's a lot brighter. I do notice that Dynamic HDR produces some really funky colours and does wash out the image. I tried to capture it in the pictures below.
Still too many issues from the previous G9 that isn't fixed, scan lines are still present at 240Hz, some flickering sometimes on desktop when working on certain app (I suspect this is due to GSync), popping sounds still exist.
For the asking price, these should have been fixed. In the end I have the Alienware 38 delivered the last few days. I'm still testing that one out, HDR isn't great with edge lit and looks crap for dark scenes but works brilliantly for others. I do miss the width of the G9 though.

IE2fVGB.jpg

K0UapBp.jpg

Permabanned
So i was chatting with a samsung rep the other day and he stated that windows 11 beta might have caused the issue where it gets really bright for a few seconds then dioms down in games.
So i reformatted over 5 tb of data and still getting the same issue.
I couldnt stress enough to him that a proper firmware update is in dier need.

Associate
As someone who has three decades of computer use/tweaking/building experience professionally and personally; anyone who says "re-install windows" to fix a problem 99/100 times has no clue what they are talking about.

Soldato
As someone who has three decades of computer use/tweaking/building experience professionally and personally; anyone who says "re-install windows" to fix a problem 99/100 times has no clue what they are talking about.
Lots of times i found it quicker to just reinstall windows then try fix the problem i had
Plus i find it nice having a fresh windows install

Permabanned

Have to agree with this. Dont take the easy way out try to resolve your issue, otherwise youd be reformatting a lot.I made a mistake.

Associate
I am really unsure what mode to use on this display for gaming.

HDR Standard + Dimming auto = good blacks, but very dimmed out light (brightness) sources in game

HDR Dynamic + Dimming Auto = Decent brightness intensity of light sources ingame, but very greyish looking blacks.

HDR Standard + dimming off = best all rounder, brighter lights, dark blacks, but light bleed in corners and blacks not as deep as dimming on obviously.

I love this monitor, but godamm it is a pain to figure out how to get the best image, or should I simply wait and see if these issues can be addressed with firmware?

Associate
I am really unsure what mode to use on this display for gaming.

HDR Standard + Dimming auto = good blacks, but very dimmed out light (brightness) sources in game

HDR Dynamic + Dimming Auto = Decent brightness intensity of light sources ingame, but very greyish looking blacks.

HDR Standard + dimming off = best all rounder, brighter lights, dark blacks, but light bleed in corners and blacks not as deep as dimming on obviously.

I love this monitor, but godamm it is a pain to figure out how to get the best image, or should I simply wait and see if these issues can be addressed with firmware?

Ya that sounds like crap. Basically it doesn't know how to do HDR.

Associate
Unfortunately i don't think it does. But I don't think it's something that can't be fixed with software update.

I can see all the potential there, it just need to be properly unlocked.

Associate
I have managed to get HDR standard + dimming auto looking good using a reshade in games.

I just enable DPXp.fx, and or levels.fx and fine tune it with the slider and I can make games bright and vibrant in hdr standard, basically removing the dimm film that takes over the screen when auto dimming is enabled. Looks really good now, lighting ingame look brighter and better.

Guess I will use this method until Samsung fix their hdr issues.

Back
Top Bottom