The new Samsung Odyssey G9 Mini Led

Associate
TWO CRACKED NEO G9's. UNBELIEVABLE.

Both came from the same warehouse in Dallas Texas area. One shipped via Fedex (BestBuy order) and one shipped by UPS (Samsung order). Second box had less visible disruption.

The cracks were IDENTICAL, branching out from the top into four "legs". Definitely a manufacturing problem. Either they are cracking when they are putting them in the boxes after checking them off the assembly line, or the way they were stacked on pallets at the warehouse putting to much pressure on them is my guess. Interestingly, this is the first monitor I've ever seen made in Vietnam.

I'm done with the Neo G9, it's way too fragile. I highly doubt it was going to replace my PG32UQX, but I still wanted to try it out. Having received and tested over 100+ monitors in the last two decades, without a single crack, having two back to back is beyond just "random" chance.
That’s unbelievable. Sorry to hear that mate.

Soldato
Interestingly, this is the first monitor I've ever seen made in Vietnam.

Apparently a lot of company's including Samsung are moving there production to Vietnam rather than china because of big tax breaks.

They don't need to pay corporate taxes for the first four years and then only half for the next five years.

Sorry to see your issues :(

Permabanned
Just updated the firmware and am still not getting peak/ample brightness , this is ridiculous.

Ive been suggested by a samsung rep to try a different 1.4 dp cable. Anyone know one on OC or anywhere that can support the neo res and refresh rate?

Last edited:
Associate
Just updated the firmware and am still not getting peak/ample brightness , this is ridiculous.

Ive been suggested by a samsung rep to try a different 1.4 dp cable. Anyone know one on OC or anywhere that can support the neo res and refresh rate?

Uh don't bother. That's not how digital cables work. The Samsung rep is an idiot trying to make you go away.

Soldato

What brightness is your screen and how did you test it?

You'd not be alone though - I watched 2 video reviews for this screen and neither of them were able to measure anywhere near the 2000 nits claimed by Samsung

Permabanned
Steps I have tried:

Reset settings unplug cables.
Reformate Pc.
Try on another PC.
Download software
Update frimware
Try different cable dp
Nothing seems to work.
Big shame because that 2000+ nits will look phenomenal.Oh well still waiting on a proper firmware fix i guess.

Caporegime
What brightness is your screen and how did you test it?

You'd not be alone though - I watched 2 video reviews for this screen and neither of them were able to measure anywhere near the 2000 nits claimed by Samsung

it only does 2000 nits at a certain setting/brightness combo. Read it in a review somewhere. At all other settings the screen is just a 1000 nits screen. It really is just a big con job by samsung.

They get away with it because it can do 2000 nits on this one setting but its not a setting you would use for your daily usuage.

I'll see if I can find the review again.

Associate
I don't mind dynamic mode, the only thing I really dislike about it is the raised blacks. It makes night time and dark areas in games look like crud. Otherwise, I think dynamic is great, obviously a lot of people would not agree with my taste lol

Caporegime
You need to be in HDR Dynamic mode to get over 1,000 nits. And from I'm reading from reports, it looks terrible in that mode.

and also its only 2000 nits at 5% or 10% white screen from memory. anything else and it drops to 1000 nits anyway even on dynamic.

Permabanned
People on Reddi+ have posted that they got another neo g9 and they work fine in HDR straight out of the box, which suggests it's the panel.
I am still hoping for a firmware upd fix as i really dont want to go through the rma hassle for this.

Associate
People on Reddi+ have posted that they got another neo g9 and they work fine in HDR straight out of the box, which suggests it's the panel.
I am still hoping for a firmware upd fix as i really dont want to go through the rma hassle for this.
I’ve Rma’d mine because of bad light bleed. There saying I’m going to have to wait over 4 weeks for mine. You would have thought they would have held back some stock for this. Gonna be a right pain.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

What do people think about this monitor for viewing HDR content like movies/tv series?

I know there are issue whilst gaming, but how does it look for multimedia? Does it get upto near the 2000 nit brightness etc? Or does it still require a firmware udpate

Associate
HWUB said it reaches over 2000 nits in HDR dynamic mode but only on a 10% window.

And almost everyone who reported having issues with HDR in gaming have said that HDR in videos look great and proper, just not the games.

Associate
I am still happy with mine. The 1006.1 firmware fixed the scan lines and switching off of VRR. HDR was improved... but I don't use it anyway. HDR in Windows is no longer dimmed and doesn't need extra adjustment in the Nvidia control panel. I've not tried it for movies and haven't tried it on games at the moment but it looked "ok" in Windows. Has anyone read this about HDR in the recent release notes from NVidia?

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5072

Back
Top Bottom