The new Samsung Odyssey G9 Mini Led

Associate
Btw, I am on 1006.1 but I still see scanlines, although it doesn't bother me because it's entirely not visible in games, and that's basically all I use this monitor for.

But although HDR has improved a bit in 1006.1, my hdr in windows and hdr games are still a bit dimm, I use reshade to undimm the image and increase brightness intensity of light sources and it works well and really brings out a contrasty punchy image.

Just hoping in the near future we can get a full hdr fix.

Associate
Is the hdr in Windows thing just Windows being rubbish at it's implementation and the monitor makers having to come up with firmware to try and correct it? Or is it just poor implementation by Samsung. Because when viewing actual hdr content it's really good. Genuinely would have a hard time telling it's not oled on some stuff. Contrast is great.
Even with new firmware my windows still looks washed out, but then I have a fairly dark background so no doubt it's a mix of that and the fald thinking it doesn't need to light parts of the screen. It just doesn't seem to realise I kinda need to see my taskbar.

Also, can anyone else confirm if they can or cannot see scanlines at 120 when adaptive sync is off? I do, the only time I don't seem them is with Adaptive sync on @ 120.
The vrr thing also makes them visible so that has to stay off. My simplest test for them is the url bar in a browser, highlight the text so it's blue with white text. Shows them clear as day.
I'm thinking I'll probably return as can't justify the cost for less than perfect and it's not like I watch that much HDR content on my PC. Also don't want to have a panel lottery as aside the scanlines this screen is perfect. No light bleed or dead pixcels :(

Associate
Is the hdr in Windows thing just Windows being rubbish at it's implementation and the monitor makers having to come up with firmware to try and correct it? Or is it just poor implementation by Samsung. Because when viewing actual hdr content it's really good. Genuinely would have a hard time telling it's not oled on some stuff. Contrast is great.
Even with new firmware my windows still looks washed out, but then I have a fairly dark background so no doubt it's a mix of that and the fald thinking it doesn't need to light parts of the screen. It just doesn't seem to realise I kinda need to see my taskbar.

I have a feeling it's a combination of bad HDR gaming implementation from both Windows and Samsung, the article from the page before kind of confirms that this is a very possible and real thing unfortunately.

But I believe this monitor definitely has the capability to make HDR gaming and brightness look great. I can confirm this because like I said previously, I have used reshade in games to increase the contrast, color and even peak brightness level in game which really make the HDR games shine very nicely on this monitor. I have been able to make the brightness in games so bright that when I look at the sun in 'Days Gone' for just 2 seconds I ended up getting flash blindness briefly. This tells me the brightness intensity is very high, I wish I had a measuring device to know what it actually was. But it was definitely so high, that's why I got the flash blindness. I rekon if I stared at it long enough I could go permanently blind like you would when looking at the sun irl.

Soldato
I have a feeling it's a combination of bad HDR gaming implementation from both Windows and Samsung, the article from the page before kind of confirms that this is a very possible and real thing unfortunately.

But I believe this monitor definitely has the capability to make HDR gaming and brightness look great. I can confirm this because like I said previously, I have used reshade in games to increase the contrast, color and even peak brightness level in game which really make the HDR games shine very nicely on this monitor. I have been able to make the brightness in games so bright that when I look at the sun in 'Days Gone' for just 2 seconds I ended up getting flash blindness briefly. This tells me the brightness intensity is very high, I wish I had a measuring device to know what it actually was. But it was definitely so high, that's why I got the flash blindness. I rekon if I stared at it long enough I could go permanently blind like you would when looking at the sun irl.

Just remember that HDR isn't meant to make the whole screen brighter or darker.

Its purpose is to get more details in the shadows and highlights and greater contrast between light and dark.

This is why OLED out performs typical LCD panels with its infinite contrast as it obtains black levels of 0 nits

Associate
I suppose I'll look into the HDR matter in time. But for now I noticed some flickering during gaming. I had tried enabling VRR but it kept turning off. I updated to 1006 yesterday and with VRR on the flickering was gone. And I see that VRR is still on. As a consumer it amazes me that Samsung delivered these panels with such buggy firmware. But then as a professional I know that the company I work for does the same - our software engineers think nothing of letting customers find the bugs so they can continue in their highly paid jobs fixing them.

Associate
4th G9 Neo with dust inside the panel. The quality of Samsung is awful:

https://abload.de/img/2dust5qku4.jpeg

https://abload.de/img/1dust6gj2v.jpeg

Because its transparent and i have only a smartphone camera (Mi 11), the dust is not so pronounced like in reality. It's more saturated grey in reality.

If it wouldn't be middle, in a corner maybe not such a huge disadvantage. But it's in the middle.

For G9 (non Neo) i needed 10 to get 1 without dust.

According to Samsung's guarantee terms dust inside the panel is not allowed. Why is their qc a mess?

Btw 1006.1 is still broken. Looks like cheap hdr 400 monitor without any dimming. Washed out colors, grey film :D.

Holy crap. The local dimming is only suitable for sdr content. There you pay 2200 Euros for.

Last edited:
Associate
No, in order to remove it you have to lift the window with a suction cup. I wont risk a crack. The seller is not Amazon who takes everything. It's a smaller seller with bad customer support. They want only sell, returns are not desired even this item is not matching the offered features and has big qc issues. I hope more of the 30 he sold G9 Neo will be retuned, because the buyers detect the issues. Especially the bad hdr. But most wont, because they have never seen good hdr. I have seen fald hdr 1000 - 1700 monitors/tv's and oled. I know how good hdr should look.

Otherwise its complete nonsense to take this high risk, because the monitor hdr is not good enough for 2200 Euros. It looks dull like a cheap hdr 400 monitor.

Btw this seller is not answering my telephone calls, wont use another number because foreign telephone calls are too expensive from mobile. I want return it fast as possible. Maybe because i asked for easy return if the panel has dust before it got shipped.

For a one time customer (never bought from this seller before, only purchased there because of G9 Neo shortage for good sellers), he was very unpolite and aggressive. I thought about canceling the order. I really hate such sellers. No responsibility for their ****** products. Only selling garabage and hoping the customers are dumb and sending the crap not back.

Last edited:
Associate
Have you tried massaging the area or giving it a little tap ?

Be careful, rubbing or pressing on the screen will damage the anti glare coating on your screen, creating a permanent spot of dullness or shine in certain ambient lighting conditions. These methods rarely work as its something wrong with the sub pixels or actual debris trapped in the LCD layers of the panel and is highly likely to remain permanently.

Unfortunately with my experiences with multiple G9s, they all have at least one spec of dust trapped under the screen, and most had dead or stuck pixels. Really lucky if you can find one with just something acceptable to you, as aiming for perfection will be a long road of many purchases and returns.

Associate
You are right. Even with a suction cup i tried for some screens the dust remains at the same position. It's like glued.

Yep, most Samsung sva panels have mostly min. 1 dust spot. Some multiple + pixel failures (mostly sub pixel failures).

If you really want Samsung panel monitor, you shouldn't return if the dust is not in the "every day viewing field". In the corners and if its hard to see there from middle position because its not deep saturated i wont return.

The G9 Neo's i got where infected with dust in the middle area.

Associate
Increase brightness then you see them very easily after a short overview. But you see them also if you are browsing the web, using text editor or in file explorer for example.

Caporegime
With your eyesight maybe!

image.png

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom