The Newcastle United Club Thread **No Spoilers**

Caporegime
TBH I think the only place they would look at is down by the arena
yea cos the council turned the area into student land.
all the black marks are student housing/apartments and most of the other big buildings are owned by the uni
chsIRJp.jpg

5-10 years ago you could have just moved the ground across the road to the old brewery site :( instead the uni builds a bunch of crap their with investors.

going to be a sad day when a student accommodation block is built on the old ground

Last edited:
Permabanned
Fair play to Maximin with that tweet. Then again as the star of the club I can't imagine he'd have ever gotten anything less then good treatment...

Soldato
yea cos the council turned the area into student land.
all the black marks are student housing/apartments and most of the other big buildings are owned by the uni
chsIRJp.jpg

5-10 years ago you could have just moved the ground across the road to the old brewery site :( instead the uni builds a bunch of crap their with investors.

going to be a sad day when a student accommodation block is built on the old ground
This was the mock-up that made the most sense
D1XY8fT.jpg

Caporegime
There's no way they would be able to get that much of leazes park, it literally wipes out where everyone sunbathes.
There's loads of rabbits living where the stadium would be, squirrels too.

It pretty much removes a large part of the wild life in the park, all the geese use that grass to graze on.
most of the geese and ducks would probably just leave and move somewhere better

all the terrace area is probably protected by some law, removing it pretty much wipes out the parks history.
it was the very first park opened in Newcastle, there's no way there wouldn't be huge resistance

The band stands just a crap replica and not even 1:1 scale..... but all the steps and statues are probably originals apart from where it got vandalised some years back.
LMJUA7B.jpg
surely never going to happen?

The best local place would be hunters moor, it's probably considered the least important green space out of all the moors, it doesn't have walking paths going over it etc like all the others do
K1kgCxc.jpg

Near the river where you could buy other land to build other things is probably a lot more desirable to PIF though.

they don't just want a football club, they want to invest in the city they already said that like a year ago, I bet they would love a spot where they could build luxury apartments, hotels, high end commercial spaces etc right next to a massive stadium.

Even if it's a waste land dump as soon as you build a huge stadium the area is suddenly very valuable right?

Last edited:
Soldato
Advanced talks with Fonseca are the latest, other names mentioned, Eddie Howe and Roberto Martinez.

I think out of all 3 I'd rather have Howe. His old backroom staff are there and he's had managed in the prem before. Plus I always thought there football was good, given appropriate funds I reckon he'd be a great transition for the club.

Thoughts?

Soldato
Advanced talks with Fonseca are the latest, other names mentioned, Eddie Howe and Roberto Martinez.

I think out of all 3 I'd rather have Howe. His old backroom staff are there and he's had managed in the prem before. Plus I always thought there football was good, given appropriate funds I reckon he'd be a great transition for the club.

Thoughts?

Roberto Martiniez managed in the premier league keeping Wigan up on more the one occasion when he had no right to whilst playing good football and actually won something.

Associate
He was terrible at Everton and hasn't done a good job with Belgium either. People talk about Englands wasted generation around 2004 but Belgium have been equally as bad.

Soldato
He was terrible at Everton and hasn't done a good job with Belgium either. People talk about Englands wasted generation around 2004 but Belgium have been equally as bad.

I think terrible is harsh. Made them a bucket load of money on Lukaku, far more then he spent and got them to a couple of semi finals. Niasse aside i dont think his signings were that bad. McCarthy put in a shift for Everton but like Kone just got injured to often to hold down a spot.

As for Fonseca, im not sure why he would be a better option then those listed. I'm not gonna say ive watched his career from the start but he doesnt appear to have set the world alight and if you want a manager with a proven track record of surviving relegation whilst playing nice football its Martinez. Having seen the majority of Martinez career at Wigan (season ticket) it was outrageous what he got out of some players.

Fonseca is pretty though, i give him that.

Soldato
Fonseca would also instantly be the best dressed manager Newcastle have ever had which is important.

Can't see why there is talk of a new stadium though. The key to me would be to upgrade the training facilities and invest heavily in the youth system. Geographically it's such a large catchment area with little to no competition for young players. I was listening to Alan Thompson on Under the Cosh the other day who came through Wallsend Boys Club. We are the same age and I remember as a kid the quality of some of the players that came through there, most of which at least passed through NUFC on their way to bigger and better things. The current youth team set up looks dreadful. When was the last time we had a quality player through and how many of the recent squad list have been homegrown? Dummett and Longstaff, solid pro's I suppose you'd call them or bog standard prem players but who else? Andy Carroll 15 years ago - that's pretty much a whole playing career ago. Matty Longstaff was apparently getting interest from Man Utd and Inter Milan. He's now at Aberdeen. I'm sure it's the same at most clubs but I don't watch them closely but the typical Newcastle youngsters career after he signs pro seems to be a string of heavy defeats in the U23's. Loan to a league 1 club with little game time, loan to Scottish second division club with little game time, sign for Gateshead or Blyth Spartans. I know the vast majority of kids will not make it, my best mate passed through their system in the early 90's and never got to a bigger club than York City, but Newcastle seem to get more than their fair share.

Soldato
That's all coming lad. They already had meeting's with Newcastle Council when they got the no red lights message two years ago before the deal broke into the news.

I even think the council came out and confirmed as much about investment.

Also looks like Overmars could be linked. Interviews still ongoing for the sporting Director or DOF.

Pretty cool that the first thing they did was create jobs and hired catering staff which Mike laid off.

Soldato
Fonseca would also instantly be the best dressed manager Newcastle have ever had which is important.

Can't see why there is talk of a new stadium though. The key to me would be to upgrade the training facilities and invest heavily in the youth system. Geographically it's such a large catchment area with little to no competition for young players. I was listening to Alan Thompson on Under the Cosh the other day who came through Wallsend Boys Club. We are the same age and I remember as a kid the quality of some of the players that came through there, most of which at least passed through NUFC on their way to bigger and better things. The current youth team set up looks dreadful. When was the last time we had a quality player through and how many of the recent squad list have been homegrown? Dummett and Longstaff, solid pro's I suppose you'd call them or bog standard prem players but who else? Andy Carroll 15 years ago - that's pretty much a whole playing career ago. Matty Longstaff was apparently getting interest from Man Utd and Inter Milan. He's now at Aberdeen. I'm sure it's the same at most clubs but I don't watch them closely but the typical Newcastle youngsters career after he signs pro seems to be a string of heavy defeats in the U23's. Loan to a league 1 club with little game time, loan to Scottish second division club with little game time, sign for Gateshead or Blyth Spartans. I know the vast majority of kids will not make it, my best mate passed through their system in the early 90's and never got to a bigger club than York City, but Newcastle seem to get more than their fair share.

Yeah I agree with that, the training facilities rival that of some league 2 teams. It's also a big factor in attracting top players that hopefully in the future happens. The Acacemy needs a massive overhaul. I've heard rumours this week they are trying to get Jason Wilcox from Manchester City.

Soldato
Soo the twitter post a few have been waiting for.

Pretty staggering.

He's always a good read that fella. Ashley never bought Newcastle to make them successful. Being successful costs money, usually more than the actual success brings. He has left them on a very firm financial footing though, that cant be denied.
Be interesting where it goes from here. I'm thinking more Everton than Man City though, Newcastle fans will do well to keep their expectations reasonably low for the first couple of years!

Back
Top Bottom