The Newcastle United Club Thread **No Spoilers**

Soldato
I think the problem is with the Newcastle job is not only are they bottom and struggling, but the next manager knows they are the building block to ready the club for a big name.

The next guys job is to come in and build the initial squad, assuming they survived this year. The man after will tinker things to hopefully win something. Not many people wanna be that first guy.

Soldato
Looks like Eddie is the man now, it's hard to know exactly how many have been approached.
The number that’s been thrown around is 5 have knocked us back(Lowe, Conte and emery don’t know the other 2) , all top tier managers though, as someone said earlier we were/are aiming too high.
I think Howe will end up being a disaster(happy to be proved otherwise and admit I’m wrong) i would’ve liked us to give more consideration to Fonseca or Farve TBH leaning more toward Farve

Soldato
I think he'll be ok, at the end of the day he's just going to be the 'transition' manager. I think he's a decent manager, but idk if he's a big enough personality to handle the big players Newcastle will want to bring in as this new ownership gather momentum over the next couple of years.

His football has always been decent, idk if he will need to change his style now though to stop the defence leaking goals and getting them winning some games. Some pretty crucial games coming up over after the international break. Brighton, Brentford Burnley, Norwich. Because the 4 after that are City, united, pool and Everton.

Soldato
I think he'll be ok, at the end of the day he's just going to be the 'transition' manager. I think he's a decent manager, but idk if he's a big enough personality to handle the big players Newcastle will want to bring in as this new ownership gather momentum over the next couple of years.

His football has always been decent, idk if he will need to change his style now though to stop the defence leaking goals and getting them winning some games. Some pretty crucial games coming up over after the international break. Brighton, Brentford Burnley, Norwich. Because the 4 after that are City, united, pool and Everton.

I don’t think we will be looking at any big name players until next summer(that’s if we stay up as I have my doubts), the players I would target in January if we had the supposed £100m to spend would be wilfried zaha, james ward prowse and james tarkowski. If they are looking for a high profile signing I would try for donny van de beek on loan with a big option to buy in the summer, as he will want to move with it being World Cup year.
I think we need a minimum of 9 points between now and January 1st that would leave us needing 24 points in the second half of the season to stay up (provided 37 is the amount needed this season for safety)

Soldato
Howey The lads!!

Would be extremely happy with that or any of the names linked. Apart from Raffa who's football was horrible any manager we had since Bobby was an embarrassment. Well also Big Al and Hugton which were both shafted by fat Mike.

Soldato
3rd time I have don’t this but, looks like Howe will be confirmed this afternoon, squad told not to come in till 2pm and press conference apparently booked in this afternoon/tonight

Soldato
I was happy with the thought of Eddie pre-takeover and I'm still happy with him now.
The only thing that worries me is, his teams are set up to be quite attacking and conceded a lot of goals, we’re already quite poor defensively so I would have liked a more defensive minded coach(Farve) to come in and sort us out TBH.

Soldato
I get that his team's are more attacking and at this moment in time Newcastle are terrible at the back. However the next 6 games they need to win, HAVE to win at least 3 of them. If he can pull the beat out is ASM, Wilson and Almiron you have a really good chance there.

Even with some seasoned good signings in Jan like Tarkowski, Ward Prowse, it could be a really solid start. The CM and CB positions really need addressing and fast.

You never know, Howe may bring in someone else along side him more defence minded.

Soldato
I get that his team's are more attacking and at this moment in time Newcastle are terrible at the back. However the next 6 games they need to win, HAVE to win at least 3 of them. If he can pull the beat out is ASM, Wilson and Almiron you have a really good chance there.

Even with some seasoned good signings in Jan like Tarkowski, Ward Prowse, it could be a really solid start. The CM and CB positions really need addressing and fast.

You never know, Howe may bring in someone else along side him more defence minded.

As @JamesH85 points out, we might need to go for the wins rather than draws atm.

Absolutely fair points by both of you, I hope I’m wrong about him and will happily say I am wrong if I turn out to be

Don
I know people take the **** mentioning him but I genuinely think Fat Sam would be a safer appointment than Howe. Newcastle cannot afford to get relegated this season. The PL are already tightening all the loopholes to limit what Newcastle can spend and a relegation will wipe out all the FFP leeway they've built up thanks to Ashley's frugalness. Although he won't do anything else, the football will be terrible and he's an unbearable dinosaur, Fat Sam is a safer bet to keep Newcastle up. Howe will play better football and will be a better long term appointment but he's also more likely to get you relegated.

Back
Top Bottom