The next Conservative Leader thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
spiked slightly at the news

What is this??? An acknowledgement of what I was commenting on in the first place....

though again a 1% move like that (though we've had a fair bit of volatility recently) isn't just regular noise... it was a reaction... and it did have an effect - the pound had fallen 0.8% in the morning then retraced that fall and more after this news.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Caporegime
Except that isn't what you said or insinuated. Don't play coy, we know your agenda and your views. :p

Pound went up ever so slightly for a few hours today! Quick to the brexit threads on OCUK!

Today doesn't look any less or more dramatic than Wednesday, Thursday or Friday last week.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GBPEUR=X&t=5d&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

no you don't and that is the point and why I had to ask repeatedly what you were even arguing - as it turns out you were attacking a straw man and making various assumptions

I've actually been quite critical about people reading too much into short term moves thus the phrasing... :p

for people who seem to be interested in short term moves in financial markets - the FTSE is up today as is GBP

there is no agenda there just comment, but you've happily attacked some perceived agenda/straw man and waffled on about where the pound was on other days - all of which was utterly irrelevant to the comment being made. No one was claiming that today was particularly dramatic, there was a move in relation to the news that was relevant to the subject of this thread (again thus I mentioned it here, no mention in the trading the stock market thread or the general brexit thread where I've been quite critical of people clinging onto these various reactions in the markets)

Last edited:
Soldato
For some reason I got very irritated while watching the news that there wasn't even a proper Tory leadership contest.

Take back control of an unreformed Westminster system?! Let me tell about the four-stage strategy, minister.

l6rRMHW.jpg

Well, we are where we are, as our select committee members tend to remark often these days. At least the country won't be rudderless for much longer. Such coronation does however put paid to notions of the form of direct democracy leave were so enamoured of in the referendum.

Soldato
FTSE 100 dropped...we Remainers told you so!

FTSE100 Recover a few days later...we Remainers say you should look at the FTSE250 which is more about uk companies.

FTSE250 recovers a couple of weeks later...we Remainers say you should look at the value of the pound which is still down on where it was on June 23rd.

What will they say when the pound recovers?

Caporegime
But your comment at that time was wrong as i have explained.

You wont admit it though so we are just going to go round in circles whilst you keep trying to justify it.

Caporegime
well it seems people are happy to cling any short term moves they feel somehow vindicate their position but the mere mention of short term moves that could be perceived to go against it then they're suddenly attacking points that haven't even been made

Soldato

FTSE100 Recover a few days later...we Remainers say you should look at the FTSE250 which is more about uk companies.

FTSE250 recovers a couple of weeks later...we Remainers say you should look at the value of the pound which is still down on where it was on June 23rd.

We'll say wait until we actually exit because that is when we will really see an impact, market activity so far has been speculation.

Caporegime
But your comment at that time was wrong as i have explained.

You wont admit it though so we are just going to go round in circles whilst you keep trying to justify it.

no it wasn't wrong, you just didn't read/understand it - yes you're going round in circles as you're making a point I've already corrected... bringing up some arbitrary and irrelevant point about where GBP was at 6am etc..

Caporegime
Im sorry you cant see why then. I have explained it thoroughly.

where? Because it was at X rate at 6am?

I have already answered that but since you didn't seem to understand I'll try another example.

Suppose the FTSE opens at 6000... suppose it is a really volatile day and it rises to 6204 after lunch on the back of say non farm payroll figures... it then closes later at 6143 (maybe with further detail the figures wasn't so bullish)...

Did the FTSE finish up that day? Or if someone said the FTSE was up that day at some point in the afternoon would they be correct? Yes!

Yet according to your logic because it isn't at the highest point it has been at 6204 then it somehow isn't 'up'?

Do you not see why that is wrong? Why in the context of that trading day the FTSE is still up and it doesn't have to be at the highest point it has been at within that time period for that statement to be true but rather it just needed to be higher than where it opened.

Was GBPUSD higher at the time I made my statement than it was at the start of today - yup! Was it higher than some arbitrary time this morning picked by you for the purpose of arguing some point you're still unable to explain - nope... but so what? So far you're not sure what you're arguing and the fact you're using to make an argument with isn't really relevant nor does it contradict the post in the first place.

Last edited:
Soldato

When the pound recovers and the FTSE 250 is flying I'll mostly say great, the leavers were right, now when can we ditch the foodbanks and zero hour non jobs and crushing cuts to public services in my country. :)

Man of Honour

FTSE 250 hasn't recovered aside from being 3-4% down still on a technical recovery the movement isn't a recovery (yet) there is a lot more at play.

You also have to factor in things like people seeing it as a good time to pay off debt in pounds which can provide short term offset against a trend or precipitate a trend - we need a lot more time to see the complete picture.

Caporegime
When the pound recovers and the FTSE 250 is flying I'll mostly say great, the leavers were right, now when can we ditch the foodbanks and zero hour non jobs and crushing cuts to public services in my country. :)

when you get a competent opposition that could realistically win a general election

Soldato
FTSE 250 hasn't recovered aside from being 3-4% down still on a technical recovery the movement isn't a recovery (yet) there is a lot more at play.

You also have to factor in things like people seeing it as a good time to pay off debt in pounds which can provide short term offset against a trend or precipitate a trend - we need a lot more time to see the complete picture.

How can you not describe the current trend as a recovery?

rec.png

Caporegime
where? Because it was at X rate at 6am?

I have already answered that but since you didn't seem to understand I'll try another example.

Suppose the FTSE opens at 6000... suppose it is a really volatile day and it rises to 6204 after lunch on the back of say non farm payroll figures... it then closes later at 6143 (maybe with further detail the figures wasn't so bullish)...

Did the FTSE finish up that day? Or if someone said the FTSE was up that day at some point in the afternoon would they be correct? Yes!

Yet according to your logic because it isn't at the highest point it has been at 6204 then it somehow isn't 'up'?

Do you not see why that is wrong? Why in the context of that trading day the FTSE is still up and it doesn't have to be at the highest point it has been at within that time period for that statement to be true but rather it just needed to be higher than where it opened.

Was GBPUSD higher at the time I made my statement than it was at the start of today - yup! Was it higher than some arbitrary time this morning picked by you for the purpose of arguing some point you're still unable to explain - nope... but so what? So far you're not sure what you're arguing and the fact you're using to make an argument with isn't really relevant nor does it contradict the post in the first place.

At the time of your post gbp to usd was about 0.15% higher than opening trading. My point about 6am was that at the time of posting it had dropped lower than it was at at one point before the announcement suggesting that leadsom pulling out had very little affect overall.

If that is "up today" in your book then great, enjoy it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom