The next James Bond could be...

Soldato
Big Batman fan here, I have no issue with that either!
What would be different?

Exactly, Batman and Bond both have a long history/canon yet you, for instance, a big Batman fan, would have no issue Batman being black, although, given its America, a pair of black parents being shot wouldnt have the same sort of effect as a pair of white parents being shot so the whole backstory would play out differently :D

Soldato
Your examples are stupid because they're both actual people.
James Bond is a fictional character

Othello is a fictional character. Would you be happy with Leo Di Caprio playing him?

How about a remake of Django Unchained with Adam Sandler as Django?

New Shaft! with Eric Bana as John Shaft. In The Heat of the Night redone with Liam Neeson as Virgil Tibbs.

Man of Honour
Bond isn't real. He's a fictional character. Heck 007 is just a code name so it could be assigned to another "Bond" once the previous Bond is retired (in all sense of the words).

so it makes no odds if he's black, white, Chinese or even a woman. If the shoe fits... Ideas and stories evolve, things change, I think one should remain open minded and see how things are. A story is a story you can make it up as you go along.

I don't know if Idris has the right "thing" for Bond, but I'd certainly love to see him giving it a go to prove that he has got it.

Caporegime
Bond isn't real. He's a fictional character. Heck 007 is just a code name so it could be assigned to another "Bond" once the previous Bond is retired (in all sense of the words).

so it makes no odds if he's black, white, Chinese or even a woman. If the shoe fits...

I don't know if Idris has the right "thing" for Bond, but I'd certainly love to see him giving it a go to prove that he has got it.

Ok that would make sense... make a continuation of the world with a new black agent. That I could believe.

Caporegime
Othello is a fictional character. Would you be happy with Leo Di Caprio playing him?

How about a remake of Django Unchained with Adam Sandler as Django?

New Shaft! with Eric Bana as John Shaft. In The Heat of the Night redone with Liam Neeson as Virgil Tibbs.

The point is that race is an intrinsic factor in those characters because the stories concern race, racism, etc. I've yet to see it explained why race is intrinsic to Bond, particularly in the modern day when it's harder to argue a white establishment that would only employ white spies, or whatever.

With that in mind, I'd probably actually disagree with Tummy earlier saying that Statham could have played Stringer Bell, because The Wire also majored on race and the fact that it was a black drugs gang. That's not to say that there aren't white drugs gang, but Bell's gang was black. Would a black Baltimore drugs gang have been led by a white guy? Very unlikely. But that's the point of the character and the story, it's not at all incidental. I don't see how Bond's skin colour is anything but incidental.

Caporegime
M isn't the same person. It's a codename for their job title and he or she can be replaced at any time by a person of any colour or sex like any other boss. The same goes for Q.

OK, fair enough, I hadn't thought of it that way, much as it has crossed my mind in the past. It should have been more prominent in my mind what with the end of Skyfall.

Caporegime
So given that his parents are Andrew Bond & Monique Delacroix are we going to be lead to believe that they had a black baby?

You know, genetics and all that.

Caporegime
I don't see why we couldn't see what other 00's get up to and it would give an opportunity to have a different type of agent that doesn't adhere to the Bond archetype.

There would always be comparisons though, and maybe there is only room for one.

Yes I agree you can have a different person as 007, as it's simply a codename, so anyone could be 007, quite how well that would go down though to start with would be an interesting one, I could see a lot of backlash, but it would be an interesting spin off series perhaps.

Well, 006 turned out to be quite a nasty piece of work.

Indeed.

Man of Honour
Given that 007 isn't supposed to be terribly charming, I wouldn't have said that mattered ;)

A fair bit of the Bond stories has needed adaptation to make it suitable for a modern audience - he's essentially a misogynistic, womanising, amoral killer and yet the rougher edges have been smoothed off in the name of artistic licence so I'm not sure why the colour of his skin should be judged inviolate.

So given that his parents are Andrew Bond & Monique Delacroix are we going to be lead to believe that they had a black baby?

You know, genetics and all that.

Does either of those names tell you the race of those people in an absolute sense? The second name appears to be French (French-Swiss if the book is what you're taking it from) but you're not going to seriously suggest there are no black French people are you? Andrew Bond as a name doesn't seem to imply anything much about the race of the person either.

Back
Top Bottom