The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Maybe not, but Marv doesn’t mean anything by it and Craig is a lighthearted guy, he won’t take offence.

That's fair enough, I didn't mean anything by it myself. I'm not one to get into fights with people on forums. It just feels like it can be a bit judgmental in this thread at times when it should be a place to freely share without any of that sort of stuff.

I misread the intention of the post so again, my apologies.

Soldato
If you want to think I'm 30 stone, go right ahead. I will neither confirm nor deny.

I'm definitely NOT loaded btw. I rarely drink, don't smoke and don't do drugs. I don't buy designer clothes. I don't go on expensive holidays. Eating out is my vice. And I enjoy it.

Moving on...

j5deRZ.jpg

Breakfast at Scran today, trying this weekends special. A panko crumb Japanese spiced shredded duck fritter in a brioche bun, topped with fried egg, pickled daikon, cucumber and seaweed. Enjoyed it :)

iOx6sf.jpg

And went to Pizza Express for lunch. Been ages since I've had their chicken Caesar salad. I love that it has anchovies in it. Too many restaurant's don't include them in their Caesar's! Really nice with the doughsticks :)

Soldato
Those look awesome Craig. I salivate at anything with egg in it. :)
Also, pizza express do my favourite ever pizza with an egg in the middle, the Fiorentina. Speaking of pizza places, I've got an old £20 pizza hut gift card and I think it's probably expired. :( I'll have to pop down to my nearest tomorrow to see.

Soldato
CPRCyIZ.jpg.png

I havent had home made chips for probably 15 years or more. My mum used to make them all the time and I remember them being soggy, sweet and just generally pretty horrible, which put me off ever making them. Then I saw a video on Youtube about how to make chippy stye chips, so decided to give it a go. I have to say that I am well impressed. They are maybe not 100% the same, but pretty damn close. I'm guessing the oil needs to be used a few 100 times to get it more flavoursome, which probably adds to chippy chip taste.

Recipe was:

Maris piper potatoes, Beef dripping to fry

soak for 30 mins in cold water to remove starch
add to salted cold water and bring to the boil, then simmer until soft
allow to steam dry and cool on a grill
fry for 5 mins @140c
allow to cool
fry at 180c for a few mins until crispy

Soldato
vi9dY7.jpg

Breakfast today at Bill's. Finally got around to trying their pancakes. A 3 stack with banana, strawberry, blueberry and pancake syrup. Lovely stuff. Very fluffy and warm :)

SYcCwA.jpg

tud3S0.jpg

rfYNZO.jpg

5g7iq5.jpg

PkPaw2.jpg

W30J9B.jpg

dnR8UE.jpg

wU8GQh.jpg

Back at Six by Nico again for lunch, trying out their Best of 2018 theme. Really enjoyable meal. Was pleased to be able to try some of my favourite dishes from past themes, like the Buffalo Chicken, Pappardelle Ragu and Big Apple :D

6Yo6y3.jpg

And to round things off, a free cheeseburger using the McDonalds app. Still two days left to claim your freebie if you haven't done so. I know their nothing special, but free is free :D

Soldato
If I make them I usually just eyeball it until it's fairly thick batter however I'll give you a rough estimate (this makes loads).

Plain flour (sifted) 200g
Egg - 2 medium
Milk - 200ml
Caster Sugar - 3-4 tbsp
Melted Butter - 3-4 tbsp
Baking Powder - 1.5-2 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp

Mix the dry ingredients, mix the eggs and milk then combine. While mixing melt the butter and let it cool, add in last.

Cook on a medium heat in a non stick or oiled pan. Don't flip them until they've risen considerably.

Soldato
Thanks Raikiri. So first mix just flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Then mix eggs and milk separate and then add to the above.

Couple of questions.

Melt butter in microwave till liquid then let it cool to solid again or just soft room temp or should it still be liquid?

When I pour into my frying pan, will it spread out like an omelette or should the batter be thick enough to be like a blob that spreads out but not cover the whole pan and how long should it take per pancake as I guess it's one in the pan at a time, right?

Last edited:
Soldato
Let the butter cool a little but still liquid.

When you add it to the pan it will spread a little but will stay around 0.5cm tall. After a couple minutes it will rise to 1-1.5cm or so and bubbles will start coming up, give it another 10-20s then flip it over to cook for another 2 min.

Soldato
Let the butter cool a little but still liquid.

When you add it to the pan it will spread a little but will stay around 0.5cm tall. After a couple minutes it will rise to 1-1.5cm or so and bubbles will start coming up, give it another 10-20s then flip it over to cook for another 2 min.

Awesome. Can't wait to try making them! Need to go buy some maple syrup. I wish that stuff wasn't so expensive. Mind you, chocolate sauce and ice cream works well too.

Back
Top Bottom