The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Nitrate Free Naked bacon, cut into strips or small squares for that dish.

this company has been hitting the tv advertising at the moment -
you do realise they were part of the Patterson lobbying scandal, trying to hide that their nitrate free additive nonetheless is not carcinogenic free.
I bought some of their bacon a year or so back on offer in Waitrose - a watery experience.

Soldato
I think the spag Bol from the same range is very good as well.

Not a huge fan of the spag bol (or meatballs) but my eldest lives them. My spag bol is better and I'm not a fan of the tomato sauce ...

Ody though I do like their lasagne

this company has been hitting the tv advertising at the moment -
you do realise they were part of the Patterson lobbying scandal, trying to hide that their nitrate free additive nonetheless is not carcinogenic free.
I bought some of their bacon a year or so back on offer in Waitrose - a watery experience.

No I didn't and the main reason we made the shift was reducing further cancer risk for my wife. To be honest we may have it once a fortnight but very interesting and will look into it, thanks.

I also initially found it a bit watery, but done in the oven, on a rack until crispy it's delish ! So much so the wife has taken to not adding any Tommy K as she prefers the taste of the bacon, wierdo!

And breakfast; soft cheese and marmite on toast :D

IMG-20220129-083937-01.jpg

Caporegime
Not a huge fan of the spag bol (or meatballs) but my eldest lives them. My spag bol is better and I'm not a fan of the tomato sauce ...

Ody though I do like their lasagne

No I didn't and the main reason we made the shift was reducing further cancer risk for my wife. To be honest we may have it once a fortnight but very interesting and will look into it, thanks.

I also initially found it a bit watery, but done in the oven, on a rack until crispy it's delish ! So much so the wife has taken to not adding any Tommy K as she prefers the taste of the bacon, wierdo!

And breakfast; soft cheese and marmite on toast :D

IMG-20220129-083937-01.jpg
With Lasagna, it’s Charlie Bighams or nothing. It is superb, tastes home made

Soldato
Sometimes I do bacon between 2 oven trays, which is good for adding to homemade burgers and the like.

https://www.seriouseats.com/baked-bacon-for-a-crowd-recipe#:~:text=To double the batch, use,time by a few minutes.

Interesting, thanks, I'll have a proper read

Usually like the tray with foil (to catch water / fat and reduce washing up / dishwasher space) then pop the rack on top.

About 180 in a fan oven, 6-8 mins per side, turning 1/2 way through depending on level of crispness.

If you catch it just right the rind has crisped and just blackening and the bacon still chewy. Too long and it shatters when you bite into it :p

Soldato
Interesting, thanks, I'll have a proper read

Usually like the tray with foil (to catch water / fat and reduce washing up / dishwasher space) then pop the rack on top.

About 180 in a fan oven, 6-8 mins per side, turning 1/2 way through depending on level of crispness.

If you catch it just right the rind has crisped and just blackening and the bacon still chewy. Too long and it shatters when you bite into it :p

If it shatters, it quickly becomes a salad topping :cry:

Yeah very similar to how I do them, but never turn and oven cook for around 15 minutes.

That is based on usual supermarket fatty bacon and would reduce times for a better quality.

Soldato
Looks good. Was it nice? Decent crackling?
Looks well nice.
Can I have the crackling? You can keep the pork :D Looks beaut!
Cheers chaps! Well chuffed with myself. Crackling was honestly the best I'd had in my life. Must be an absolute fluke as I had a Gousto recipe planned for today but fancied this pork in M&S. I don't even know what cut it is!

Rubbed salt in and put it back in fridge uncovered for an hour, then rubbed more salt and put some rapeseed oil on it. Did it 40mins at 240 then turned to 180 for an hour. Let it rest for 10.

Had it on some Zojirushi brown rice and a basic honey and soy sauce with spring onion.

Caporegime
What the hell have Heinz done to their cream of chicken soup?

I used to love it when I was younger. Creamy, chicken, bits of chicken. Loved it. Now it’s literally the colour and texture of custard with hardly any flavour and no chicken bits at all. Revolting. Think I’ll try Baxter’s next time.

Soldato
Yeah, the Charlie Bingham's is good too. But nothing beats home made :D

Also like his curry range too - but pricy but always good to have in and they freeze

I've tried most of the CB range and as far as pre-made food goes, it's pretty much the best i've had. Generally stock up when there is a deal and freeze as you say.

Soldato
I've tried most of the CB range and as far as pre-made food goes, it's pretty much the best i've had. Generally stock up when there is a deal and freeze as you say.
There is another brand called 'Cooks' IIRC. We used it when my little one was born and we expected an influx of takeaways.

Back
Top Bottom