The **Now Eating** Thread

Man of Honour
Tub = 902cals / 42f / 120c / 10p

One of the very few ice creams that really is 'loaded' when it says so.

DZBriQh.jpg

You can get 480-500ml tubs of dairy icecream in the region of 550-900 calories all with varying macros.

Ben & Jerries / Haagen Dasz will be anywhere in the region of 1,100 - 1,300 with 50/80f.

Froyo by comparison will come in around 380-450 cals for a ~ 500ml tub with considerably less fat content 10/20g. (30g in the case of Ben & jerries / 850 cals).

I'm really struggling to find tubs of icecream that are in the lower end of the scale of what you've just said. Do you have any suggestions? :)

Soldato

The Knorr stuff is oats, though that should be 30g as it's 30g per layer.

I use blueberries or blackberries etc. raspberries have good fibre.

Basically just oats 15g, then yogurt, fruit, honey drizzle, more oats 15g, other layer of yogurt, berries, last honey drizzle and topped with almonds. Leave in the fridge over night and they soak in nicely.

Soldato
I'm really struggling to find tubs of icecream that are in the lower end of the scale of what you've just said. Do you have any suggestions? :)

Aldi have some in the region of 550/700 calories.

Green & Blacks organic range come it between 750-900 from memory.

M&S have a Vanilla Ice Dessert (which is basically froyo, 750ml for 550cals).

The bottom end of that scale will be mostly froyo with a few exceptions.

Icecream calorific value is usually misinterpreted and 1ml = 1g which isn't always the case. Usually a 500ml tub actually contains anywhere from 300-400g of icecream. The '2 scoops' is usually the equivalent values for 1/5th of a tub. If it's labelled in grams (i.e. 2 x scoops - 72g) then it's telling you there's 360g of icecream in the 500ml pot.

Loads of entries in MFP are incorrect and show 100ml with the value of 100g which is obviously not accurate.

To accompany lunch, Snickers Peanutbutter Squares:

tY0iJs0.jpg

Soldato
I decided to pick up a Ben n Jerrys Dough-ble Impact. Can't say I'm too fussed about how much is in the tub calorie wise as I tend to just leave it out for a little while to soften up, eat a bit off the top and put it back in the freezer. Just enough to satisfy my lust for something sweet and extremely tasty :p

Associate
Woke up around 9 but only just had my breakfast. Had toast and omg it was so good. I love bread but try not to buy it very often as I will just end up eating toast for all my meals. Also had 2 oranges :)

Man of Honour
Aldi have some in the region of 550/700 calories.

Green & Blacks organic range come it between 750-900 from memory.

M&S have a Vanilla Ice Dessert (which is basically froyo, 750ml for 550cals).

The bottom end of that scale will be mostly froyo with a few exceptions.

Icecream calorific value is usually misinterpreted and 1ml = 1g which isn't always the case. Usually a 500ml tub actually contains anywhere from 300-400g of icecream. The '2 scoops' is usually the equivalent values for 1/5th of a tub. If it's labelled in grams (i.e. 2 x scoops - 72g) then it's telling you there's 360g of icecream in the 500ml pot.

Loads of entries in MFP are incorrect and show 100ml with the value of 100g which is obviously not accurate.

To accompany lunch, Snickers Peanutbutter Squares:

tY0iJs0.jpg

Cheers. Are the Aldi tubs any good? I have an Aldi nearby and I do purchase a few things from there but lots of the stuff (especially in the frozen aisle) I steer clear of normally.

The Green and Blacks stuff was about the lowest I found but still pretty high. It's not impossible to fit it into my kcal for the day (still cutting) but I should probably go for something else despite my current craving for a giant tub of ice cream :p

I also know what you mean /re the measurements. I didn't look on MFP for the kcal this time - just at the various grocery websites for places near me. Some of them gave the kcal breakdown as you have done above but other ones would give the total weight in grams and then only give the kcal per 100ml - but with no obvious way to translate between the two :rolleyes:

I should probably checkout froyo. I quite fancy something with toffee/caramel and/or nuts in it. I'll have to look around.

Woke up around 9 but only just had my breakfast. Had toast and omg it was so good. I love bread but try not to buy it very often as I will just end up eating toast for all my meals. Also had 2 oranges :)

Envious. I've been in work since 8:30 :p It's pretty hard to beat fresh toast though.

I decided to pick up a Ben n Jerrys Dough-ble Impact. Can't say I'm too fussed about how much is in the tub calorie wise as I tend to just leave it out for a little while to soften up, eat a bit off the top and put it back in the freezer. Just enough to satisfy my lust for something sweet and extremely tasty :p

Ugh :p I hate ice cream when it has melted and then re-frozen. It always gets giant ice crystals in it.

I'll have to experiment with flash-freezing it.

Soldato

That's fair enough but if you're trying to keep track of your nutrition, particularly your total intake and macro's it'll be of concern. Especially when eaten by the tub load ;)

Soldato
Cheers. Are the Aldi tubs any good? I have an Aldi nearby and I do purchase a few things from there but lots of the stuff (especially in the frozen aisle) I steer clear of normally.

Not bad at all in all honesty, it's not mind blowing but for the price and total calories (and being dairy) you can't complain. Only tried one so far but will try the rest soon.

The Green and Blacks stuff was about the lowest I found but still pretty high. It's not impossible to fit it into my kcal for the day (still cutting) but I should probably go for something else despite my current craving for a giant tub of ice cream :p

Have what you fancy. Froyo is a good compromise. Failing that just buy some magnums or other equivalent frozen ice cream on a stick :cool:

I also know what you mean /re the measurements. I didn't look on MFP for the kcal this time - just at the various grocery websites for places near me. Some of them gave the kcal breakdown as you have done above but other ones would give the total weight in grams and then only give the kcal per 100ml - but with no obvious way to translate between the two :rolleyes:

An empty tub, without the lid, is 15g if I remember. So you can weigh what's left ;)

I should probably checkout froyo. I quite fancy something with toffee/caramel and/or nuts in it. I'll have to look around.

Froyo tends to be quite plain, swirls and nuts will all add calories.

Find something nice, like that Ltd Edition Haagen Dasz Vanilla & Florentine + Orange Almond Caramel and just have half (if you can restrain yourself :p)

Man of Honour
I'm not sure I can :p But I may try that yeah.

Assuming I do a full turbo session I'll still have ~1400 kcal left after my dinner so I can easily fit in the ice cream if I want to. Perhaps I'll do the turbo session and see how far I get into it. My legs are fairly fried already today.

Associate
Well I have to get used to real life soon when I start in my new job :D So just enjoying the rest of my freedom. I think I will do the overnight oats for breakfast when at work. It looks nice :)

Soldato
Ugh :p I hate ice cream when it has melted and then re-frozen. It always gets giant ice crystals in it.

I'll have to experiment with flash-freezing it.

Haven't really defrosted it to that level. Either that or with it being so compact in the tub it simply hasn't formed any.

Its still tasty :p

That's fair enough but if you're trying to keep track of your nutrition, particularly your total intake and macro's it'll be of concern. Especially when eaten by the tub load ;)

Hehe, yeah I have no doubt if I binged on it I'd struggle to keep my intake low. Seems to be approx 115g per 100ml based on the nutritional info and 500ml tubs have around 1200 kcal. At the moment I'm still missing a set of digital scales so I can actually attempt to track how much I'm skimming off the top (ordered off Amazon and the courier 'lost' it).

I'm not exactly having scoops of it for desert with chocolate brownie (however tempting that may be :o) and its tasty enough that it doesn't take much to satisfy my sweet tooth so its not doing too badly for my intake ^^

Back
Top Bottom