The **Now Eating** Thread

Man of Honour
Just had a look at that ocado website. So many nordic products! I might need to buy some!
Ice cream is nice but I find them bit too sweet here same with everything sweet, I think it all has double the sugar Im used to. But then also I always think everything needs salt as Im used to salty food :D

I noticed in Sweden all the food was massively more salted than we have over here. I guess it's a similar thing.

Associate
Marabou chocolate, the mintkrokant is heaven. Also fazer sweets (theyre finnish brand) I would say Dumle, Geisha and Marianne are the best but most pricey too.
There is quite few rye breads but its more the german type but would do as its better than nothing. I havent gone through quite all the products so might find more great things.
What really made my day is that they sell moomin mugs. I collect them! And they are pretty much similar price to normal :D

// edit pagen cinnamon rolls are great too, so is Kalles kaviar paste and some herrings if you like fish and princess gateu cake which is quite nice. There is also sweets called Polly and I love their advert for the sweets :D The sweets are ok.

Last edited:
Associate
I noticed in Sweden all the food was massively more salted than we have over here. I guess it's a similar thing.

Yes I think we like salty food in the nordic countries. Likes of gravlax etc. My grandparents used to make food so salty I couldnt eat it and add more on the table. So its not weird most common disease is high blood pressure. Everyone except me, my mum and my sister in my family suffers from it! :rolleyes:

Associate
Thats not rye bread its crispbread :) they are amaizing though. Its our christmas bread and you have it with a thick slice of ham and homemade mustard. Or even better have it with the homamade cheese. Now Im hungry :(

Soldato
I like protein shakes. I think I'm weird. I have more overnight oats and a shake.

I had an egg and bacon salad last night with linseed bread and peanut butter and marmite :p
Then busted out some leg stuff and shake before bed. This morning did insanity's sweat intervals. Just at the office. Ugh.

Man of Honour
Yes I think we like salty food in the nordic countries. Likes of gravlax etc. My grandparents used to make food so salty I couldnt eat it and add more on the table. So its not weird most common disease is high blood pressure. Everyone except me, my mum and my sister in my family suffers from it! :rolleyes:

Gravlax is awesome :) Though I guess when I've had it/made it it has been cured with possibly less salt than you might use over there...

I can imagine /re all the salty food btw. Some of the home cooking I tried whilst I was there was pretty rough - I'm sure it was lovely underneath but I couldn't really taste anything other than salt :p

Something like this? :D I bought these a few weeks ago but still not got round to eating them yet!

When I was over there (Sweden) my gf of the time's brother made some kind of cracker/bread using potato flour that was amazing. I keep meaning to track down the recipe to make it.

I like protein shakes. I think I'm weird. I have more overnight oats and a shake.

I had an egg and bacon salad last night with linseed bread and peanut butter and marmite :p
Then busted out some leg stuff and shake before bed. This morning did insanity's sweat intervals. Just at the office. Ugh.

Sounds good up until the marmite :p

I've only tried the MyProtein shakes and then generally only unflavoured (apart from when they sent me vanilla flavour by mistake, ultra fake vanilla at that, *gag*). Maybe other ones are nicer but I tend to just chug it down in a few seconds and then brush my teeth.

Associate
Gravlax is awesome :) Though I guess when I've had it/made it it has been cured with possibly less salt than you might use over there...

I can imagine /re all the salty food btw. Some of the home cooking I tried whilst I was there was pretty rough - I'm sure it was lovely underneath but I couldn't really taste anything other than salt :p

When I was over there (Sweden) my gf of the time's brother made some kind of cracker/bread using potato flour that was amazing. I keep meaning to track down the recipe to make it.

I dont think it has that much more salt. Just a bit more than the tastless stuff you get here. Same with cold smoked salmon. I never buy it here as my grandad makes it himself and it is 100x better than any shop bought so its worth waiting for.

But yeah the food needs getting used to. I always think everything tastes bland here haha :D I think I use less salt now though. But yeah even our sweets like salmiakki are salty.

I dont know what bread that is but Im interested. Please share recipe if you do find it :)

Man of Honour
I dont think it has that much more salt. Just a bit more than the tastless stuff you get here. Same with cold smoked salmon. I never buy it here as my grandad makes it himself and it is 100x better than any shop bought so its worth waiting for.

But yeah the food needs getting used to. I always think everything tastes bland here haha :D I think I use less salt now though. But yeah even our sweets like salmiakki are salty.

I dont know what bread that is but Im interested. Please share recipe if you do find it :)

I'll try and look up the recipe today during a quiet period in work.

To be honest I much prefer stuff I cure myself too. My home-cured gravlax has been much better than anything I've tried in the shops. Same with bacon, bresaola, capicola, etc.

Man of Honour
home made Mozzarella pizza for brekkie :)

2z5qk1t.jpg

Associate
Quite interested with the bacon recipe. I found the shop ones a bit too salty even for me and not that tasty. I tend to buy streaky bacon more now too as the back bacon is just too thick and doesnt get lovely and crispy like the streaky one does :D

Soldato
I've only tried the MyProtein shakes and then generally only unflavoured (apart from when they sent me vanilla flavour by mistake, ultra fake vanilla at that, *gag*). Maybe other ones are nicer but I tend to just chug it down in a few seconds and then brush my teeth.

I've only tried the chocolate and strawberry ones. With water they're ok, not exactly tasty but not bad either. With semi-skimmed milk they are quite nice though.

Man of Honour
Quite interested with the bacon recipe. I found the shop ones a bit too salty even for me and not that tasty. I tend to buy streaky bacon more now too as the back bacon is just too thick and doesnt get lovely and crispy like the streaky one does :D

Streaky is definitely the best :) My recipe isn't quite perfect yet and you can vary the salt content a fair bit depending on your tastes. Here it is though:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SnJSWAfLFg35IK7nRXW4TAk7gdpGlXTAJ42J9GJ-KBU/edit?usp=sharing

I've only tried the chocolate and strawberry ones. With water they're ok, not exactly tasty but not bad either. With semi-skimmed milk they are quite nice though.

Ah, I only ever make them with water. I might change that once I'm bulking though. Extra kcal ftw.

so Vanilla flavored baked beans = FT's worst nightmare? :p

Really fake vanilla flavoured and you just might be on to something. Where do I mail my vomit to? :p

Man of Honour
Having trouble finding a recipe. I'm sure I did at one point but it was years ago :/

It's kind of similar to your standard knäckebröd but made with potato flour. I'm sure it has a proper/distinct name though.

Man of Honour
Ah..I was confused for a moment :p

It might be rieska but from memory it was closer to cracker in terms of texture/crunchiness. It could well have just been made badly though - I've no idea how it was supposed to turn out but it was pretty delicious even if it wasn't made "properly".

Back
Top Bottom