The **Now Eating** Thread

Little bored today so actually took some pics.
5hrs small bit of lamb shoulder at 150c
And then kind of made a spicy Lamb Aubergine Parmigiana kind of thing. Just got to wait about 30mins or so now.

2hfqmf5.jpg

2njyio5.jpg

Lots if chilli
2u9snet.jpg

106nerl.jpg

2rqogp3.jpg

29m107m.jpg

Looks interesting. I'd quite like to do something similar but with more of a middle eastern style - stick in some cumin, ras el hanout, cardamom and tomato. Server on a pilaf.

Now I really wish I had some lamb and aubergine instead of the steak I've got for later. Ho hum.

Was meant to pick up cumin but I forgot, I'm out.
Can keep your pilaf though.

And good god that was amazing, best thing I've eaten in weeks. Despite making Thai style beef satay last night.

sw9r87.jpg

21a029c.jpg

Was meant to pick up cumin but I forgot, I'm out.
Can keep your pilaf though.

And good god that was amazing, best thing I've eaten in weeks. Despite making Thai style beef satay last night.

*snip*

Looks delicious :)

Not a fan of pilaf?

I ended up eating something pretty simple. Home made baguettes with 80% hydration (annoyingly slightly undercooked) and some rump steak that I was much happier with. I'm normally more of a ribeye fan but this was pretty cheap for something properly dry aged.

dbh0DPh.jpg

Nquo0qh.jpg

Pilaf is ok, it's nothing to rave about, however those baguettes are something to rave about. Rump is my favourite steak city, I think it has a good balance between taste and texture.

That baguette still warm filled with Chicken and bacon mayo with iceberg, oh man I'm drooling at the thought.

Cheers :) First attempt at ridiculously high hydration dough. It's actually not as hard to work with as I expected.

I have some sous-vide 62C chicken breast sat in the fridge for sandwiches. I might stick some on tomorrow though I was planning on a full-on french experience by drowning them in brie ;)

The one time I've been blown away by rump was at Hawksmoor in Manchester. Their 55day dry aged rump is just amazing. The only things that have come close are a really good bavette that I had at Palate in Chorlton and one of the home made reverse-sear bone-in ribeyes that I've cooked myself.

Breakfast this morning
Fried Sumak & halloumi with salad and honey and a fried egg. Not usually a fan of sweet and savory together but the honey works surprisingly well

T6R0jMN.jpg

^ Fish looks pro.

I had home made faux chinese crispy duck. Essentially chicken legs/thighs/wings with spices stuck in a confit (sous-vide) for 12 hours. After that just grilled on each side until up to temp. Mix the shredded meat and super crispy skin back in with the bag juices and then serve. Slightly less rich than the duck equivalent but actually pretty close. It wouldn't take much tweaking to turn it into a perfect clone - only without having to do the tedious steaming and deep frying steps.

Sorely tempted to get some sort of outdoor burner as above, the ventilation in our new kitchen is a ****ing disgrace. Can't sear anything without smoking the place out and setting off the smoke alarm.

To keep it on topic, currently eating a homemade scone. :p

Back
Top Bottom