• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Man of Honour
ZeroG;30488596 said:
I don't get that option. I get this https://i.imgur.com/MHpmMNp.png

I have only had that option since the Anniversary update. Before that I had the choice to block drivers.

It's not a problem though as all you need to do is follow Smogsy's instructions below. I didn't know about this so have now done it and hopefully that will block any future driver updates.

smogsy;30486604 said:
ive done that on 60+ machines with various different install dates with no issue, but if your still seeng it force it via GP

you can do it via group policy also

To enable or disable automatic searching of Windows Update by using Group Policy
Open Group Policy Management Editor.
In the navigation pane, open Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Internet Communication Management\Internet Communication settings.
In the details pane, double-click Turn off Windows Update device driver searching.
Do one of the following:
To turn off searching Windows Update, click Enabled.

To allow searching Windows Update, click Disabled.

Click OK to save your settings.

Associate
pastymuncher;30489622 said:
I have only had that option since the Anniversary update. Before that I had the choice to block drivers.

It's not a problem though as all you need to do is follow Smogsy's instructions below. I didn't know about this so have now done it and hopefully that will block any future driver updates.

Just made that change, let's see how it goes.

Soldato
pastymuncher;30489622 said:

its one of the main ways corporate business stop updates.
it works :)

Soldato
Just finally got round to playing Gears of War 4 and even though I am on 378.49 after quite a long black screen it gave me this big window saying I had 372.20 drivers and there were compatability issues with the game.

Nice graphics shame about the game.

Soldato
Rroff;30485756 said:
Because that option has changed (several months ago) read the description carefully. It no longer stops automatic driver updates all it does is control whether you just get the core driver or the driver + support software/utilities installed.
I also got the 3D Vision software and sample files despite having driver updates disabled in System settings. It's never done this before so I suspect that this update just got tagged wrong this time.

Soldato
So in other words

We home users on build 14393 have no way of preventing the latest drivers from being install AND no costume option to dto having all the other crap install as well???

Soldato
It will still install the driver which is why people are complaining on the internet. In the past there was an extra setting in that dialog box to specifically disable driver downloads.

DDU has a button to disable WU driver downloads which is probably the easiest way for people to counter these stealth video driver updates.

Soldato
smogsy;30493729 said:

That option is no longer available, so you have no choice

5hajueN.jpg

yashiro;30493746 said:
It will still install the driver which is why people are complaining on the internet. In the past there was an extra setting in that dialog box to specifically disable driver downloads.

DDU has a button to disable WU driver downloads which is probably the easiest way for people to counter these stealth video driver updates.

I will give a go, but I have my doubts as I am on home

Edit: Only button on latest version is to reset WU to default (automatically)

Soldato
I would clear the windows update cache in disk cleanup, uninstall the new broken drivers, install the old working ones then run wushowhide to prevent windows from installing the new driver. Used that tool to block a touchpad driver from my laptop when windows 10 first came out and it's still blocked and on the original driver I installed.

Soldato
Do what I did, disable windows update service and only stick it on manual when you want to do updates. But only do the updates using a powershell script, which lets you choose which ones to skip :)

Soldato
Disco_P;30493821 said:
I would clear the windows update cache in disk cleanup, uninstall the new broken drivers, install the old working ones then run wushowhide to prevent windows from installing the new driver. Used that tool to block a touchpad driver from my laptop when windows 10 first came out and it's still blocked and on the original driver I installed.

Sorry should add, drivers are not broken, I simply can not install the version of drivers I want and then not to be updated to lateest version by bloody windows update LOL ...

That was my issue, I was fine until I formatted and reinstalled in Jan. Now I can not switch off Hardware driver updates as there is no option to.

Will have a look at the link

Nasher;30493913 said:
Do what I did, disable windows update service and only stick it on manual when you want to do updates. But only do the updates using a powershell script, which lets you choose which ones to skip :)

Are you on Win 10 home or one of the other versions?? You cannot disable windows update on home version. I you know how can you point us in the right direction.

Soldato
Disco_P;30494164 said:
That program is a msoft tool to prevent windows automatically installing an update be it a driver or otherwise.

I can not thank you enough for that,

Has worked a treat.

I have no idea why it is not known about.

Once again thank you....

Soldato
Strudders;30493761 said:
That option is no longer available, so you have no choice

5hajueN.jpg

I will give a go, but I have my doubts as I am on home

Edit: Only button on latest version is to reset WU to default (automatically)

in that case you can do this:
Go to Run –> regedit
Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE –> SOFTWARE –> Microsoft –> Windows –> CurrentVersion –> DriverSearching
Change the value of “ChangeOrderConfig” to 0.

does the same as group policy.

i see if i can make a patch on Monday to do a behind the scenes policy change on home edition..

Back
Top Bottom