• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Soldato
just turn integrated graphic off in BIOS /issue resolved.

Bios was the first port of call when it started, that's why it took longer to identify why the black screen was switching over to igp when running on pcie(there is no igp disabled option), but you can't turn igp 'off', either igp/pcie/auto, regardless what 1 you pick, it always, always installs the igp.

And with the mb being the most rock solid stable mb outwith the W10 forced driver install problems I've ever owned, it isn't getting replaced any time soon unless there is an imo proper performance benefit for the £700+ outlay for a comparable new cpu/mb/ram purchase over my [email protected].

Which doesn't detract from the underlying problem W10 has with MS removing the choice for power users and forcing drivers on you.

Last edited:
Soldato
the option is their. used it on many Pcs without issue.

failing that group policy. as stated many times in this thread. no more forced drivers..

1st edit
local group policy editor -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System ->
Internet communication Management -> Internet Communication Settings -> Turn off Windows Updates Device Driver Searching

0Th1SDl.png

This policy setting specifies whether Windows searches Windows Update for device drivers when no local drivers for a device are present.

If you enable this policy setting, Windows Update is not searched when a new device is installed.

If you disable this policy setting, Windows Update is always searched for drivers when no local drivers are present.

If you do not configure this policy setting, searching Windows Update is optional when installing a device.

Also see "Turn off Windows Update device driver search prompt" in "Administrative Templates/System," which governs whether an administrator is prompted before searching Windows Update for device drivers if a driver is not found locally.

Note: This policy setting is replaced by "Specify Driver Source Search Order" in "Administrative Templates/System/Device Installation" on newer versions of Windows.

2nd edit
ocal group policy editor -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Administrative Templates -> System - > Device Installation -> specify the search order for device driver sources

c21e50a2-3056-49b2-8862-462880af3d69
ISGbf0h.png

This policy setting allows you to specify the order in which Windows searches source locations for device drivers.

If you enable this policy setting, you can select whether Windows searches for drivers on Windows Update unconditionally, only if necessary, or not at all.

Note that searching always implies that Windows will attempt to search Windows Update exactly one time. With this setting, Windows will not continually search for updates. This setting is used to ensure that the best software will be found for the device, even if the network is temporarily available.

If the setting for searching only if needed is specified, then Windows will search for a driver only if a driver is not locally available on the system.

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, members of the Administrators group can determine the priority order in which Windows searches source locations for device drivers.

Last edited:

ElB

ElB

Associate
failing that group policy. as stated many times in this thread. no more forced drivers..
No help if you're running Win 10 Home, though: no group policy editor, and installing it through the back door doesn't seem to work any more. TBH I've never had an issue with Windows installing a driver then just installing a new one over it -- the ones Microsoft supply are usually a few versions out of date because they go through WHQL certification, but AFAIK they're the same drivers you'd have got direct from Nvidia.

(If you want to disable driver updates in Win 10 and you're using a wireless connection, just set it as "metered" in the network properties then disable downloading updates over metered connections. If you're cabled up, though, it's tough luck.)

Permabanned
just turn integrated graphic off in BIOS /issue resolved.

This pretty much. My IGPU for my 6700k has been turned off since day one and I'm not saying it does not happen ,because obviously it does, but I've never had a problem with the auto updating of drivers. Again, thats been turned off since day one as well.

Soldato
If igp could be disabled, I wouldn't have the issue, any board that can have igp disabled would obviously disable igp to keep clear from the problem but there are other Z77 boards from Asus that can't disable igp too.

I wonder how many have taken their PC's to repair shops at a cost, then to have been unfortunate enough to been misdiagnosed with a faulty board-hundreds of £'s because of an insistence to force updates on you.

Permabanned
If igp could be disabled, I wouldn't have the issue, any board that can have igp disabled would obviously disable igp to keep clear from the problem but there are other Z77 boards from Asus that can't disable igp too.

I wonder how many have taken their PC's to repair shops at a cost, then to have been unfortunate enough to been misdiagnosed with a faulty board-hundreds of £'s because of an insistence to force updates on you.

Thats a weird state of affairs that you cant disable the IGPU on certain boards. I have the Asus maximus hero and that obviously does it but they all should to be honest.

Soldato
No help if you're running Win 10 Home, though: no group policy editor, and installing it through the back door doesn't seem to work any more. TBH I've never had an issue with Windows installing a driver then just installing a new one over it -- the ones Microsoft supply are usually a few versions out of date because they go through WHQL certification, but AFAIK they're the same drivers you'd have got direct from Nvidia.

(If you want to disable driver updates in Win 10 and you're using a wireless connection, just set it as "metered" in the network properties then disable downloading updates over metered connections. If you're cabled up, though, it's tough luck.)

it does theirs just a few new policy to go through

Soldato
Thats a weird state of affairs that you cant disable the IGPU on certain boards. I have the Asus maximus hero and that obviously does it but they all should to be honest.

I read the the Maximus V Gene doesn't have an igp disable option too, crazy decision not to include igp disabled option by Asus back then, if my next board has igp, then I'll be doing my homework first.:)

Soldato
I read the the Maximus V Gene doesn't have an igp disable option too, crazy decision not to include igp disabled option by Asus back then, if my next board has igp, then I'll be doing my homework first.:)
I heard on some video review that it disables IGP by default when a discrete GFX card is present or detected. Not sure how legit this is but could be why there is no option. No point of having a IGP enabled when a discrete card is present but only when there isn't one present there is.

V F

V F

Soldato
I heard on some video review that it disables IGP by default when a discrete GFX card is present or detected. Not sure how legit this is but could be why there is no option. No point of having a IGP enabled when a discrete card is present but only when there isn't one present there is.

Lucid Virtu MVP?

Caporegime
It's a gimmick. It's like crossfire but worse from what i saw in reviews. Sure Linus tested it and came to the conclusion your just better using a discrete. Either way how many people use this?
I remember trying it out many many years ago and frames were silly high but it was like playing games on steroids... Nothing smooth at all and it looked like frames were being dropped constantly and that was in the several games I tried before uninstalling.

Soldato
I remember trying it out many many years ago and frames were silly high but it was like playing games on steroids... Nothing smooth at all and it looked like frames were being dropped constantly and that was in the several games I tried before uninstalling.

I see they no longer exist with it and are doing mobile phone stuff.

It looked nice and i tried it as well. I mean who wouldn't want extra performance from that IGP you just disable all the time haha. But like Gregster said and is stop on. It provides more frames but it stutters and creates latency. It's not a smooth experience which is what you expect for more performance / FPS.
Shame really.

Soldato
I heard on some video review that it disables IGP by default when a discrete GFX card is present or detected.

That's what should happen in practice but it isn't happening here and found other Asus users had similar when I first found out.

My BIOS has the IGPU option which I disabled?

Think it was the Z77 Maximus I read didn't have a disable option, maybe I'm talking about the wrong board idk any more.:p

Associate
What advantage is there from disabling the IGPU while using a discrete GPU? I am also sure my bios does not have a disable option.

Back
Top Bottom