• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Soldato
You can do this in MSI afterburner... well specific fps limit i mean.

Capping won't do it. Monitors needs to be in 100hz or 120hz, otherwise the strobing mode can't be selected :(. Most games just take the desktop so for the few I want strobing, I just switch desktop before playing, would be nice if I could just force them to take a specific refresh though so they just launch in the correct refresh rate.

Soldato
Capping won't do it. Monitors needs to be in 100hz or 120hz, otherwise the strobing mode can't be selected :(. Most games just take the desktop so for the few I want strobing, I just switch desktop before playing, would be nice if I could just force them to take a specific refresh though so they just launch in the correct refresh rate.
use nvinspector to adjust refresh rate per game?

Man of Honour
For anyone interested!

Yeah :( I've been trying to stay on 2.11.4.0 as all I need is shadowplay and its much better in that version than anything later but its getting harder to avoid forced updates and/or wouldn't surprise me if nVidia try to prevent it :| I did some additional modification to prevent it phoning home to check updates on starting as well but its a pain to do (and/or being forced by another driver component as it circular checked).

EDIT: Video reminds me how much I dislike Windows 10 - my explorer on the left in Windows 7 versus the Windows 10 one in that video - I dunno why anyone would actually choose the Windows 10 one :s just looks so disorganised visually.

YsvSjUe.jpg

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah :( I've been trying to stay on 2.11.4.0 as all I need is shadowplay and its much better in that version than anything later but its getting harder to avoid forced updates and/or wouldn't surprise me if nVidia try to prevent it :| I did some additional modification to prevent it phoning home to check updates on starting as well but its a pain to do (and/or being forced by another driver component as it circular checked).

EDIT: Video reminds me how much I dislike Windows 10 - my explorer on the left in Windows 7 versus the Windows 10 one in that video - I dunno why anyone would actually choose the Windows 10 one :s just looks so disorganised visually.

YsvSjUe.jpg

Don't fret, @Elevon will be along soon to tell you how Windows 10 completes our lives.

Associate
What is the Nvidia driver software like in comparison to AMD?

AMD drivers look better, load faster and have a good set of features to rival Nvidia's now. Admittedly they had to play catch-up with the added applications but I feel having used both sets recently (Currently running 1070) I would say that AMDs are now better overall and have improved greatly in the last 18 months whereas Nvidia's have stagnated slightly and seem to have more issues over the same period of time.

Man of Honour
Control panel I would assume.

The crimson control panel is really fast and responsive, opens pretty much instantly. Nvidia's control panel is noticeably slower.

Depends which page its opening to (and for some reason some people and the odd driver release is really slow) - the Manage 3D Settings page will always be a little slow due to all the stuff it does - leave it on something like Adjust desktop colour settings or the home page and the control panel will open instantly.

Not sure if there is a better way to do it but atleast on Windows 7 you can use a batch file like:

Code:
@echo off

reg add "HKCU\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\NVControlPanel2\Client" /v LastPage /t REG_BINARY /d ec8881f1672555488bae2766f5ec54fc /f

"%programfiles%\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client\nvcplui.exe"

To always open to the home page.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
What is with peoples obsession that things have to be done within a tenth of a second? I remember the days of the really old Catalyst Control Centre that could take 5 - 8 seconds to load. It never really bothered me. Even clicking apply with some settings on the NVIDIA control panel that can take 1 - 3 seconds is no issue.

Associate
What is with peoples obsession that things have to be done within a tenth of a second?

Must be related to the same obsession that the FPS counter must be higher than someone elses or that your card is one of the fastest, rather than concentrating on what should be the obsession....smoother graphics and gameplay experience. IMHO that is why Nvidia developed G-Sync and AMD followed with A-Sync/Freesync. We are all concentrating on the wrong end of the FPS table....minimums should be the most important, not maximums. :D

V F

V F

Soldato
It would be nice if such a thing ever existed where hardware and programming was so good minimums was no longer ever an issue. Something you'd never ever have to worry about.

Associate
It would be nice if such a thing ever existed where hardware and programming was so good minimums was no longer ever an issue. Something you'd never ever have to worry about.

I wholeheartedly agree. I would also like it that Game Devs (or any other programming Devs for that matter) just wrote their games to use all the features of a graphics card regardless of who it was manufactured by. Using the power of AMD and Nvidia kit to the best of both of their abilities. At least then there would be less to argue over.......Hmmmm okay maybe not less, just different things to argue over. :p

Back
Top Bottom