• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Soldato
Has anyone ever provided a shred of evidence for this?

No. The most recent test of this I can find is a comparison of 980ti to 1080 over the year from 1080 launch drivers and the 980ti improves by 1-2% where as the 1080 improved by 5-10%, but nowhere did the 980ti actually drop in performance at any point.

Soldato
No. The most recent test of this I can find is a comparison of 980ti to 1080 over the year from 1080 launch drivers and the 980ti improves by 1-2% where as the 1080 improved by 5-10%, but nowhere did the 980ti actually drop in performance at any point.

It’s more like less effort to optimise 9 series than the most recent architecture (10 series). They are v similar as well though. Edit - am adding to your post Andy not arguing against fyi

Caporegime

Time and time again, I read about NVidia gimping performance of previous gen GPUs but it is utter tripe. Of course they will put massive amounts of resources on the latest gen and rightly so but they certainly won't be 'gimping' previous gens.

Associate
Time and time again, I read about NVidia gimping performance of previous gen GPUs but it is utter tripe. Of course they will put massive amounts of resources on the latest gen and rightly so but they certainly won't be 'gimping' previous gens.

If they were to found out doing this sort of thing they would get crucified just not worth it.

Soldato

If they were to found out doing this sort of thing they would get crucified just not worth it.

They have been crucified:

A few days ago Nvidia reported on working on driver updates to address Kepler issues with The Witcher 3. It appears though, that Kepler owners will enjoy a performance boost in several games with the new driver.
Nvidia’s ManuelG noted that the upcoming drivers will offer a universal fix for Kepler GPUs that will boost performance in various PC games.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-upcoming-kepler-fix-increase-performance-games/#ixzz3bZaonm64
Just a heads up for the Kepler users :)

A whole load of titles that got 'fixed'-absolutely massive **** storm at the time.

Although 'gimping' isn't the best of terminology, imo it's more like 'we'll leave it at a baseline state' as they are pushing their new gen series, but that's probably why plenty are using the term 'gimping', considering historically it happens and despite some saying 'it's because it's coded on the new arch, the old arch can't do it'-then it gets 'fixed' despite probably being developed on the older arch in the first place.

I suppose if you didn't purchase each new gen at launch we'd likely be less inclined to dismiss it, if and when it happens to an individual then it's a different outlook, some say gimping some say tripe.

Caporegime
They have been crucified:

A whole load of titles that got 'fixed'-absolutely massive **** storm at the time.

Although 'gimping' isn't the best of terminology, imo it's more like 'we'll leave it at a baseline state' as they are pushing their new gen series, but that's probably why plenty are using the term 'gimping', considering historically it happens and despite some saying 'it's because it's coded on the new arch, the old arch can't do it'-then it gets 'fixed' despite probably being developed on the older arch in the first place.

I suppose if you didn't purchase each new gen at launch we'd likely be less inclined to dismiss it, if and when it happens to an individual then it's a different outlook, some say gimping some say tripe.
Gimpimg or priority?

Edit:

You totally missed what I said. Genuinely, show me where NVidia have gimped drivers, as per the discussion?

Soldato

From what I've seen it's only theories so far but LinusTechTips did a video actually showing zero performance loss, In fact there was a small performance gain.

In reality what is happening is that there really isn't anything left to squeeze out of the cards when it comes to performance other than simply making them compatible with newer games.

Soldato
Gimpimg or priority?

Edit:

You totally missed what I said. Genuinely, show me where NVidia have gimped drivers, as per the discussion?

Pretty sure I agreed it's not 'gimping' but stated why people use the terminology of gimping, totally in line with the conversation.

Satisfactory performance is different than a working state though, so again to reiterate, that's why some class it as 'gimping'.

Priority in Nv's perspective is at least twofold, new gen and try to get users to upgrade each and every day they wait for fixes, it's a successful business practice that works.

Soldato
Indeed, the only reason AMD put so many resources into the drivers for their 2012-2015 GPUs was because many of them were rebrands, such as 290 to 390, so the older models kept on benefitting because they were effectively the same card as the newer ones. To be fair it was a more forward looking architecture than Nvidia Kepler too and getting their hardware in the consoles helped to move game design towards exploiting AMD's strengths. The Fury series hasn't fared so well, however.

Caporegime
v399.24 WHQL Released.

Game Ready Drivers provide the best possible gaming experience for all major new releases, including Virtual Reality games. Prior to a new title launching, our driver team is working up until the last minute to ensure every performance tweak and bug fix is included for the best gameplay on day-1.

Game Ready
Provides the optimal gaming experience for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout open beta, and Assetto Corsa Competizione early access

Associate
Indeed, the only reason AMD put so many resources into the drivers for their 2012-2015 GPUs was because many of them were rebrands, such as 290 to 390, so the older models kept on benefitting because they were effectively the same card as the newer ones. To be fair it was a more forward looking architecture than Nvidia Kepler too and getting their hardware in the consoles helped to move game design towards exploiting AMD's strengths. The Fury series hasn't fared so well, however.
I'm sure if Nvidia continued to rehash the same architecture and constantly worked on making it run well it would be equally "forward looking".

Back
Top Bottom