• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Associate
399.24 was the most stable driver for my 1070ti and 1050ti. After that nothing but problems and blue screens for the first time in years.

In the end I got fed up and returned the 1070ti for another vega 56.

Soldato
Haven't had any issues with drivers for years and years.

Only on the AMD side have I had issues. One recently with my Radeon 6450 which was causing issues with Firefox due to old drivers (dropped support).

Associate
Man of Honour
Left my son playing a lego game on my PC earlier and he came down after about 10mins looking sheepish saying "sorry daddy I made the game do a sad face on it's side :("
Took a moment to realise he was describing a BSOD! Bless him.

Soldato
I haven't had an unstable driver for as long as I can remember. I'm always mildly amused to see drivers blamed for BSOD and the like... If the software was that bad then surely it would affect everyone?
That comment shows how little you apparently know about this subject. You do know we are not on consoles but modular PCs with a ton of hardware combinations right??

Soldato
Left my son playing a lego game on my PC earlier and he came down after about 10mins looking sheepish saying "sorry daddy I made the game do a sad face on it's side :("
Took a moment to realise he was describing a BSOD! Bless him.

Better than him making it full of spyware due to looking at certain websites. That will come in a few years ;)

Soldato
I haven't had an unstable driver for as long as I can remember. I'm always mildly amused to see drivers blamed for BSOD and the like... If the software was that bad then surely it would affect everyone?
For a good 6 months Nvidia broke VR support. It lead to random black screen cut outs . Fixed now at least but it happened.

Soldato
Well seeing how you like to be amused check out this thread. It has already been posted but still...Enjoy yourself.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ers/411-63-causing-bsod-and-other-problems/1/
And on the first page there's someone declaring that x driver causes issues with their 2080 FE every few minutes. I've tried all the drivers for the 2080 FE and all been rock solid, including plenty of gaming since I got the card without issues. So, as the problem is not reproducible by a large % of users (well, me anyway :) ), one has to assume there's "probably" something else causing it. It could still be drivers of course that has revealed the problem but might not necessarily cause the issue (such as an old sound driver that might be conflicting for example with the NV ones). And could still be drivers causing the problem but if it's not easy to reproduce or not a common problem, it's unlikely to be something NV or even AMD could fully control. What I mean is, NV/AMD/Intel cannot test their hardware and drivers with every single possibly hardware and driver configuration out there - it would be impossible.
A bad driver would be one that impact a significant number of users, not possibly the odd edge case. Personally I've not had GPU driver issues for years and I always update as soon as they're released.
Anyone having issues should ensure their OS is up to date, BIOS, all drivers (even reinstalling media ones like sound), then do a clean install of the GPU drivers - even using DDU if they have to although that's probably not necessary - just ensure "clean install" is selected when reinstalling the drivers.

Last edited:
Associate
And on the first page there's someone declaring that x driver causes issues with their 2080 FE every few minutes. I've tried all the drivers for the 2080 FE and all been rock solid, including plenty of gaming since I got the card without issues. So, as the problem is not reproducible by a large % of users (well, me anyway :) ), one has to assume there's "probably" something else causing it. It could still be drivers of course that has revealed the problem but might not necessarily cause the issue (such as an old sound driver that might be conflicting for example with the NV ones). And could still be drivers causing the problem but if it's not easy to reproduce or not a common problem, it's unlikely to be something NV or even AMD could fully control. What I mean is, NV/AMD/Intel cannot test their hardware and drivers with every single possibly hardware and driver configuration out there - it would be impossible.
A bad driver would be one that impact a significant number of users, not possibly the odd edge case. Personally I've not had GPU driver issues for years and I always update as soon as they're released.
Anyone having issues should ensure their OS is up to date, BIOS, all drivers (even reinstalling media ones like sound), then do a clean install of the GPU drivers - even using DDU if they have to although that's probably not necessary - just ensure "clean install" is selected when reinstalling the drivers.

I agree with you but the statement I was responding to was a little bit silly.

I have three gaming rigs all with Nvidia cards until now with fairly fresh installs. I use ddu when absolutely necessary so when a driver causes a problem that can be fixed by reverting then I call it what it is.

Nvidia released an update tool to fix a problem so it was widespread at that time.

Not to mention a Gears 4 crashing problem across 9 and 10 series cards that till this day has not been resolved.

Still, nobody is crapping on Nvidia here.

V F

V F

Soldato
Well seeing how you like to be amused check out this thread. It has already been posted but still...Enjoy yourself.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ers/411-63-causing-bsod-and-other-problems/1/

Funny reading that Sora guy. Does he live on that forum? Every thread, there he is.

What a charming individual.

Sora said:
Society has this problem you see, they seek a target to rail against because they are stupid. So its usually the people who are smarter, more attractive, or just happens to say things as they are rather than follow the status quo.

I say it as it is, and i don't care what your thoughts are. I'll continue to say it as it is.

Your systems are unstable and your delusional clinging to the driver as a fault is why you will continue to have these issues.

Deal with it.

Caporegime
I’ve noticed a nice improvement @4k with the 416.34 drivers, especially with my ludicrously modded GTA V, it’s much smoother and I’m seeing a nice FPS jump.

I know that goes against the conspiracy theory of nvidia gimping the 10 Series, it’s anything but for me at the moment. :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I’ve noticed a nice improvement @4k with the 416.34 drivers, especially with my ludicrously modded GTA V, it’s much smoother and I’m seeing a nice FPS jump.

I know that goes against the conspiracy theory of nvidia gimping the 10 Series, it’s anything but for me at the moment. :)

Is that relative to the supposedly gimped RTX drivers or to 39x.xx drivers? I stayed on 390.xx (cant remember the exact number) and have had no issues. I even did very good in some benchmarks vs those using the 4xx.xx drivers. But this is all anecdotal. It could have been also due to a fresh clean install of windows 10 which I think also helps.

I actually don’t even see the point in upgrading drivers just in case, as say the latest driver which are game ready for SoulCalibur 6 which I am playing would be better, I don’t even need the extra performance as this game only uses about 50% of my GPU when playing 4K maxed out settings. It seems to be a very optimised game vs other fighting games.

Caporegime
Is that relative to the supposedly gimped RTX drivers or to 39x.xx drivers? I stayed on 390.xx (cant remember the exact number) and have had no issues. I even did very good in some benchmarks vs those using the 4xx.xx drivers. But this is all anecdotal. It could have been also due to a fresh clean install of windows 10 which I think also helps.

I actually don’t even see the point in upgrading drivers just in case, as say the latest driver which are game ready for SoulCalibur 6 which I am playing would be better, I don’t even need the extra performance as this game only uses about 50% of my GPU when playing 4K maxed out settings. It seems to be a very optimised game vs other fighting games.
I tend to update my drivers as and when I remember to rather than through necessity, the last time was a good 6 weeks ago mind you, then I had done a fresh reinstall having bought an M2 SSD for windows and subsequently filled my machine back up with my games etc so it’s far from a fresh install now.

I noticed only because I like to have FPS displayed (usually via afterburner) and take particular note when I’m in the city in GTA V, previously - since the reinstall of windows and reinstall and re moding of GTA - I was getting ballpark 55-60 FPS but now I’m yet to notice a drop below 60 in the city and it’s up in the 80’s out in the country which is a big improvement.

I only decided to update to the 400 Series drivers as I was planning on buying Black Ops 4 and wanted to be “game ready” - which is probably Nvidia guff tbh! - but my lad now has it on his X-Box so I doubt I’ll bother (he’d play it, not me) all my other stuff I regularly play is ancient like Microsoft FSX, Battlefield 2 (Via the very good BF2Hub) so I really don’t need to stay up to date as such and frankly my 1080ti is wasted on most of what I enjoy! :o

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I tend to update my drivers as and when I remember to rather than through necessity, the last time was a good 6 weeks ago mind you, then I had done a fresh reinstall having bought an M2 SSD for windows and subsequently filled my machine back up with my games etc so it’s far from a fresh install now.

I noticed only because I like to have FPS displayed (usually via afterburner) and take particular note when I’m in the city in GTA V, previously - since the reinstall of windows and reinstall and re moding of GTA - I was getting ballpark 55-60 FPS but now I’m yet to notice a drop below 60 in the city and it’s up in the 80’s out in the country which is a big improvement.

I only decided to update to the 400 Series drivers as I was planning on buying Black Ops 4 and wanted to be “game ready” - which is probably Nvidia guff tbh! - but my lad now has it on his X-Box so I doubt I’ll bother (he’d play it, not me) all my other stuff I regularly play is ancient like Microsoft FSX, Battlefield 2 (Via the very good BF2Hub) so I really don’t need to stay up to date as such.

Quite a few people are reporting this. That is quite a big jump where one cannot say it is margin of error. Who knows what Nvidia are up to. Yeah, game ready probably is. Never really noticed any difference when upgrading to game ready drivers before. I can imagine in most instances they just look over the code to make sure there are no bugs or conflicts in it for the said game and call it game ready without any actual optimisation for performance actually done.

I will stick with the drivers I have until next year probably. Unless I end up grabbing Shadow of Tomb Raider or Just Cause 4, then I don’t see the point in upgrading. I doubt I will pick those up until the price drops to closer to a tenner by which point all the bugs will be ironed out also. Got plenty of games to keep me busy with until then :D

I never did play any of the Witcher 3 dlc, so I am going to be playing that now that I am done with Final Fantasy 15 :)

Back
Top Bottom