• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

If this is true then it probably confirms my thoughts all along..

The performance has always been there but has never been given to us because they have been forcing a lot of people to buy the fastest possible cards on the market at high prices just to make more money. Think about it. If mid-range cards did the job on Ultra settings in games then there'd be no need to buy top end GPU's in the first place. Unless you're running crazy resolutions/multiple monitors.

So they can suddenly boost perf in the drivers now?

Like Matt said.. the proof will be in the pudding.

I personally think this is being overhyped to counter AMD's push of Mantle.

And i think Nvidia are the worried ones right now although there is certainly some kind of Mantle effect going on here :p

I get what your saying, but I think the visual fidelty will rise due to the next gen consoles, meaning we will get higher IQ in our PC games, and these optimisations will just balance increased IQ and performance.

This makes me wonder how much Do AMD & Nvidia hold back there Cards? Lets be honest here if Mantle didn't come would we be seeing this?

Do AMD & Nvidia not give us the true performance our cards can give?

Anyway What I think about all this is great news. DX11, Mantle and Dx12 all great for us. My other question is what ever Nvidia have done here can AMD also add it to there DX11 Driver?

This makes me wonder how much Do AMD & Nvidia hold back there Cards? Lets be honest here if Mantle didn't come would we be seeing this?

Do AMD & Nvidia not give us the true performance our cards can give?

Anyway What I think about all this is great news. DX11, Mantle and Dx12 all great for us. My other question is what ever Nvidia have done here can AMD also add it to there DX11 Driver?

I think it depends if the gains are down to tweaking the api or fine tuning the driver on nvidia architecture. Think how amd pulled 20%+ out of finally getting their heads around gcn back on 12.11, this could be a similar deal but for nvidia, though I don't think the gains will be overly massive.

Dunno why the focus on CPU performance earlier in the article as API bottlenecks can't be directly correlated with CPU like that.

I'm guessing mostly what has happened is something along the lines of nVidia has profiled specific games, looked at what functions they are losing the most performance in and replicated their own more efficent version and bypassing the DX11 version via NV's DX hook.

Dunno why the focus on CPU performance earlier in the article as API bottlenecks can't be directly correlated with CPU like that.

I'm guessing mostly what has happened is something along the lines of nVidia has profiled specific games, looked at what functions they are losing the most performance in and replicated their own more efficent version and bypassing the DX11 version via NV's DX hook.

I love it when you get technical Rroffles. :cool:

I can't verify your claims or will i pretend to understand, but they do make sense in principal at least.

Exactly. Like regular drivers fixing profiles and efficiency nothing more.Just with the usual pr graphs

I'm only guessing as I don't know what level of interaction on it exists between nVidia and MS but I'd be unsuprised if these DX11 tweaks are game specific improvements rather than API wholesale improvements where nVidia has reproduced their own game specific tuned version of functions that are holding back performance in titles and over-riding the calls to those DX functions so that the nVidia ones are used instead.

I'm only guessing as I don't know what level of interaction on it exists between nVidia and MS but I'd be unsuprised if these DX11 tweaks are game specific improvements rather than API wholesale improvements where nVidia has reproduced their own game specific tuned version of functions that are holding back performance in titles and over-riding the calls to those DX functions so that the nVidia ones are used instead.

They bypass some dx11 driver functions and they use their own

NVIDIA Talks DX12, DX11 Efficiency Improvements

DX11 could rival Mantle

The big story at GDC last week was Microsoft’s reveal of DirectX 12 and the future of the dominant API for PC gaming. There was plenty of build up to the announcement with Microsoft’s DirectX team posting teasers and starting up a Twitter account of the occasion. I hosted a live blog from the event which included pictures of the slides. It was our most successful of these types of events with literally thousands of people joining in the conversation. Along with the debates over the similarities of AMD’s Mantle API and the timeline for DX12 release, there are plenty of stories to be told.

bX9Srfq.jpg

Ha, different thread title. Thought it wasn't posted. Interesting stuff this though. Huge performance gain in DX11 for Nvidia. On a 780Ti as well. Happy days :D

This thread can be deleted.

Worth remembering that Nvidia like to run their 290X in a hot box and in quiet mode. I scored higher fps than their 290X and 780TI in Thief in DX11 mode with my regular 290, but i was using Windows 8.1 so not sure if that made a difference.

May as well RTM the thread to the mods Broom.

Back
Top Bottom