• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Actually repi didn't say that, it was Thracks. A fellow dev said DX12 programming guide was the same as Mantle though, which is a fair indication of the similarities i think.

You still think it and you question me? AMD say it isn't but you don't want to accept that (for whatever reason) and you are convincing yourself that Microsoft have got Mantle in place to be DX12...

fe8866ff3e9b1fa86a2c1df57ec5d06b.jpg

What part of that makes you think DX12 is Mantle?

And where did the other guy say that Mantle is the same as DX12?

AMD didn't say it isn't, neither did they say it is Mantle, it's simply a canned nda response from an AMD employee, repi on the other hand...

Is subtly hinting that the guide layout is familiar, which given his position, and the fact he wouldn't be at liberty to comment on anything external - says to me that he had a hand in writing it. (Just so people don't get confused again, I'm referring to the guide)

Which is why a few people have come out of their shell when someone has jumped on that particular sentence and said "Is DX12 Mantle?"

What? lol.

Shh. Don't make any predictions, saves you avoiding egg on your face. ;)

Nvidia would have to improve their Driver overhead by about 300% or more just to match Mantle.

I think what will happen is Nvidia will spend the next year saying how brilliant their drivers are with no or limited actual tangible improvements outside of marketing slides. ;)

Its PR, Mantle is getting all the attention so Nvidia are setting out on an attention seeking campaign.

Nvidia would have to improve their Driver overhead by about 300% or more just to match Mantle.

I think what will happen is Nvidia will spend the next year saying how brilliant their drivers are with no or limited actual tangible improvements outside of marketing slides. ;)

Its PR, Mantle is getting all the attention so Nvidia are setting out on an attention seeking campaign.

Um 300%?

Nvidia in Direct X does pretty well VS Mantle already. Not sure where you plucked that 300% figure from, but yeah isn't there still a washed out bug in BF4 with Mantle as well? Not sure that's the greatest example tbh.. With FXAA on low an extra 4fps and washed out graphics. Not something people should about about tbh. Nvidia ahead with 2X AA.. All this fanboism is getting very cringe. Just enjoy the fact there is so much focus on PC gaming no matter what brand your hardware belongs to.. AMD did a great job sparking off the competition in this area imho. Roll on improved Direct X11 and Mantle and upcoming DirectX 12.

fgxbLir.png
KDRoqLp.png

'hardocp.com on Mantle in BF4'
when looking at the benefits provided through the lens of improving upon the best playable gaming experience on current high end hardware, there's simply not a tangible benefit provided to gamers at this time on high-end cards

Lets see if they deliver. Looks like they could use some extra cpu performance in Hitman Absolution. The improvements are global according to the article in the OP.

But when it was Mantle games all we heard was "1 title out of loads of games" ;)

All this fanboism is getting very cringe. Just enjoy the fact there is so much focus on PC gaming no matter what brand your hardware belongs to.. AMD did a great job sparking off the competition in this area imho. Roll on improved Direct X11 and Mantle and upcoming DirectX 12.

Must be post of the year by broom! :p

Um 300%?

Nvidia in Direct X does pretty well VS Mantle already. Not sure where you plucked that 300% figure from, but yeah isn't there still a washed out bug in BF4 with Mantle as well? Not sure that's the greatest example tbh.. With FXAA on low an extra 4fps and washed out graphics. Not something people should about about tbh. Nvidia ahead with 2X AA.. All this fanboism is getting very cringe. Just enjoy the fact there is so much focus on PC gaming no matter what brand your hardware belongs to.. AMD did a great job sparking off the competition in this area imho. Roll on improved Direct X11 and Mantle and upcoming DirectX 12.

fgxbLir.png
KDRoqLp.png

From the same review in the conclusion.

What we've learned from this evaluation so far is that it does allow all AMD GPUs to outperform the competition at every turn in this game. AMD has a clear win, when it comes to BF4 gameplay and performance with Mantle. There wasn't one situation where the competition got the edge. We also see the advantages Mantle can have with CrossFire. Frame Pacing is already enabled on R9 290X CrossFire, but Mantle further improves things by giving us much better frame times. This will translate into smoother CrossFire experiences. We see Mantle being a big boon for improving CrossFire, and for that alone I want to see it used more.

Mantle seems to be doing a pretty good job if you ask me. You have to remember the Nvidia cards also carry a price premium. The gtx780 is priced closer to the 290x and in this game the 290x absolutely spanks it with mantle. The 780ti is priced in a different tier to anything else really and is the fastest card on the planet. This new driver could make the 780ti look like a better deal.

Last edited:
[/Tinfoil hat]

If Nvidia can get a performance upgrade of this level simply by tweaking drivers, then that's because the drivers were gimped on purpose. This isn't a slight bump it's a god damn 1.5x improvement on Star Swarm, and the 780ti descends from the Titan so it isn't like they haven't had time to get to grips with the hardware, their cards were performing as much as needed and making them money so they left them there, now Mantle is threatening to give a performance hike to AMD users Nvidia are releasing the "real deal" drivers.

When AMD suddenly managed to seriously improve HD7950/70 performance after the GTX670/680 launched it looked a bit fishy, but this looks like the whole damn fish farm.

Back
Top Bottom