The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Man of Honour
The Glenlivet i wasn't overly impressed with - solid but nothing special. The aberlour 12 is the pick of those imho.

The Nikka is fantastic as well, although you do only get a 50cl bottle so not really that cheap, but totally worth it

Associate
The Glenlivet i wasn't overly impressed with - solid but nothing special. The aberlour 12 is the pick of those imho.

The Nikka is fantastic as well, although you do only get a 50cl bottle so not really that cheap, but totally worth it

Not had the Glenlivet so not in a position to comment, but for the extra £4 I'd definitely take the Aberlour or the Pulteney for my first choice.

Man of Honour
Try the bulleit rye, it's excellent, they usually drop it to about £20 on amazon around Christmas time.

Thats the one i'm edging towards at the moment, although i'm not a huge fan of the Bulleit Broubon so a touch hesitant. Plus its £33 at the moment (although camelcamelcamel doesn't seem to think it drops below £27

Just done a bit of googling and apparently Rittenhouse 100 us excellent, £40 on amazon but not checked elsewhere.

Certainly tempting :)

Associate
Very odd, I'm sure it was £19 last christmas time, you're right about camel^3 though...

I'll have a dig and see if I can find the email :)

I'd take a punt on the Rittenhouse, but wait until the price falls a bit, £28-30 seems about right.

Which 'standard' bourbons have you had?

Man of Honour
Which 'standard' bourbons have you had?

I've got a woodford reserve distiller's select on the go at the moment which i'm really liking, enjoyed the double oak in the past as well. Had the Maker's 46 in a bar before as well. Not a big Jack or Jim fan, even in their fancier guises...

Was a lightning deal, which apparently camelcamelcamel doesn't record... Yeah £19

will keep an eye out for that then :)

Associate
anyone got a Rye they can recomend - getting into my bourbons a bit more but fancy trying a Rye as i'm not sure i've ever had one.... ~£30 - 40 budget id say

By far the best Rye I've tasted is Manhattan Rye. It's within your budget, but only for a 350 mL bottle! :o

I've got a Wild Turkey Rye I picked up in Amazon Black Friday which is quite nice, but doesn't have anwhere near the sophistication of the Manhattan.

Associate
Just done a bit of googling and apparently Rittenhouse 100 us excellent, £40 on amazon but not checked elsewhere. www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005JYTFNU...sr=8-2&keywords=rittenhouse+rye&pi=SY200_QL40

I've got a bottle of the Rittenhouse 100 for cocktail making but just for drinking neat the 40% is as good and a bit cheaper. I had some of this a while back that was one of the nicest Ryes I've tried

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/high-west/high-west-double-rye-whiskey/?srh=1

Soldato
I've got a woodford reserve distiller's select on the go at the moment which i'm really liking, enjoyed the double oak in the past as well. Had the Maker's 46 in a bar before as well. Not a big Jack or Jim fan, even in their fancier guises...

will keep an eye out for that then :)

Wood riserve is a great bourbon imo one of my favourites from the super market shelves.

£21 on amazon at the moment too,

It's very easy to enjoy neat or mixed perhaps a bit too easy to enjoy mixed.

As for my experience I'm looking for my next bourbon to buy.

I've been through the usual, Makers mark, bulleit, woodford reserve (probably my favourite of the supermarket shelver's as stated above)

And i'm holding on to the blantons special reserve which i bought myself as a treat, had some friends over so we got through a bit more than i would have liked but I've enjoyed it a lot.

So question is where from here? I'm trying to build up a nice selection.

Any of your bourbon recommendations are welcome. under £50.

Associate
@TwsT - firstly, how do you think the Blantons compared to the Woodford? I've purchased some as a gift, but not actually tried it myself!

For around the £35 mark there's the Hudson range, although they're in 35cl bottles, so actually quite expensive - they're meant to be excellent, but never stumped up the cash for one myself.

My other suggestions would be 4 roses small batch/single barrel (£30/£38) or Elijah craig small batch (£30) - high & low rye mash bills respectively.

Personally, I'd go for the 4 roses single barrel :)

Associate
As far as Bourbons, the best I've ever had was Noah's Mill Small Batch. Definitely needs a touch of water to let it down from the 57.15% ABV to be enjoyed properly. I also love the old wine bottle, made in a hillbilly's shed look.

I've got a Knob Creek Small Batch atm, which is good also.

Soldato
right i lack experience on the tasting front but here goes

The blantons special reserve (green label) tastes light and floral/citrus a little bit of sweet it's really nice, doesn't need any water at all I usually just have a little in a glass neat no ice. I do find if you leave it for 15 mins it tastes better you can pick out a bit more of it's more subtle/delicate flavours.

Woodford is a bit sweeter and spicy, a bit more viscous, heavier to taste if you like. The flavours come at you harder when you first drink it less on the tail.

all that said though if you like the woodford you'll like the Blanton I'm certain of it. Will have to try the single barrel as that is probably much more similar to the woodford than the 80 proof special reserve. woodford and the blantons single barrel are both 90 proof so probably more similar.

Still it was nice to appreciate the difference in proofs and they are different enough that I would be inclined to keep both on my shelf.

I think I'll try the 4 roses then, maybe the hudson if I can sneak a taste from the whiskey shop in trentham as it's a bit pricey

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah it is sadly but only place i can try stuff that's odd.
Bar social in newcastle is great for bourbon if you want to try some different bourbons they have about 25 on the shelf and the same number again for scotch and again for rum but more niche stuff the whiskey shop is the only place near.

Back
Top Bottom