The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Permabanned
right i lack experience on the tasting front but here goes

The blantons special reserve (green label) tastes light and floral/citrus a little bit of sweet it's really nice, doesn't need any water at all I usually just have a little in a glass neat no ice. I do find if you leave it for 15 mins it tastes better you can pick out a bit more of it's more subtle/delicate flavours.

Woodford is a bit sweeter and spicy, a bit more viscous, heavier to taste if you like. The flavours come at you harder when you first drink it less on the tail.

all that said though if you like the woodford you'll like the Blanton I'm certain of it. Will have to try the single barrel as that is probably much more similar to the woodford than the 80 proof special reserve. woodford and the blantons single barrel are both 90 proof so probably more similar.

Still it was nice to appreciate the difference in proofs and they are different enough that I would be inclined to keep both on my shelf.

I think I'll try the 4 roses then, maybe the hudson if I can sneak a taste from the whiskey shop in trentham as it's a bit pricey

Four Roses single barrel is excellent, some other good ones to try:-

Jim Beam Signature Craft 12 Year Old / Reduced to £24 at the moment on Amazon
Evan Williams Single Barrel / £29 on Amazon
Eagle Rare 10 Year Old / £35 on Amazon

Last edited:

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Both the port and rum cask Tomatin Finishes are lovely. I was lucky enough to be at Woodwinters in Inverness to pick up an order and Neil, the owner cracked open one of each for a cheeky tasting.

you were right..the port cask is divine!

smooth, warming, thick and flavorsome in the mouth and a sweet finish

Soldato
aberlour, one of my favourites.

has anyone tried Lidl 22 yr old single malt at £43? in a posh box and everything.

also, pre-order, rain forest have the cardhu gold reserve, also one of my fav's, for £25 in a special felt bag thing. bargain!

i also can't argue with auchetoshun american oak at £20 there either, lovely single.

Associate
Presents for me...

DSCF2162.jpg

I got myself a Noah's Mill as well. It's nice to be nice to yourself. Have you had it before? If not, let me know what you think, it's my favourite bourbon!

Permabanned
I got myself a Noah's Mill as well. It's nice to be nice to yourself. Have you had it before? If not, let me know what you think, it's my favourite bourbon!

Both new to me, do you cut the whisky at all with water before drinking?

I am thinking of cutting both down to 46% ABV...

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have just done the math I think...

For a 70ml double measure of Noah's Mill @ 57.2% ABV / 114.4 proof you will need to add 17ml of mineral water to get down to 46% ABV / 92 proof.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Associate
I have just done the math I think...

For a 70ml double measure of Noah's Mill @ 57.2% ABV / 114.4 proof you will need to add 17ml of mineral water to get down to 46% ABV / 92 proof.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

ABV1·V1 = ABV2·V2

V2 = (ABV1·V1)/ABV2 = (57.2·70)/46 = 87.04 mL

So aye, you're bang on.

I'd suggest trying it at the bottled ABV and comparing it, the water certainly changes the flavour somewhat. IT would be subjective which you prefer! Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom