The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Caporegime
It might not be quite what you mean but I'd recommend a whisky tasting experience at a shop - it's good fun and helps you get more from tasting because you've got someone to explain the subtleties which you probably won't have if you just get a few bottles. I've been to an evening that Cadenheads put on and enjoyed it but there are plenty of other shops that will do similar and might be easier to get to for you.

Cheers, something to look at :)

FTM

FTM

Soldato
just back from Oban....and a quick stop at the green welly stop on the way home resulted in

29777571686_fcc70942fa_b.jpg

benriach 16
oban distillers edition
tomatin 14 port cask finish

Soldato
deanston is a lovely drop.

i ordered 4 bottle from ocado with there £30 off code. purchased a swiller in grants ale cask as i love it, aberlour a'bunadh 60.9% cask strength, monkey shoulder and macallan gold reserve for £80 delivered.

Soldato
Anyone care to recommend me a tipple?
Big fan of some of the islays, jura, oban and my particular favourite is talisker - just trying to expand my pallete a bit as signed up to a whisky making course in january...

Associate
Anyone care to recommend me a tipple?
Big fan of some of the islays, jura, oban and my particular favourite is talisker - just trying to expand my pallete a bit as signed up to a whisky making course in january...

How's the course work chap? Surely 90% of whisky is just aging it for X+ years. Interested to know what it entails.

Depends what you're after with regards to recommendations and how much you want to spend...

My top 3 suggestions would be Aberlour A'bunadh, Ardbeg Uigeadail and Bunnahabhain 18. All considered excellent, but not necessarily the easiest to differentiate on the palate.

Anything you can find that's not chill-filtered, has no caramel added and is cask strength would probably suit.

Soldato
How's the course work chap? Surely 90% of whisky is just aging it for X+ years. Interested to know what it entails.

Depends what you're after with regards to recommendations and how much you want to spend...

My top 3 suggestions would be Aberlour A'bunadh, Ardbeg Uigeadail and Bunnahabhain 18. All considered excellent, but not necessarily the easiest to differentiate on the palate.

Anything you can find that's not chill-filtered, has no caramel added and is cask strength would probably suit.

Cheers for the suggestions think I've had the Ardbeg one right enough! The budget is usually around 50 quid but whisky seems to have increased a good bit recently?

Course is about how different bits at each stage can change the character of the spirit - with different samples each week

Associate
Cheers for the suggestions think I've had the Ardbeg one right enough! The budget is usually around 50 quid but whisky seems to have increased a good bit recently?

Course is about how different bits at each stage can change the character of the spirit - with different samples each week

Ardbeg generally seem very well recieved, with the Oogie and Corry rated amongst the best VfM.

I'd definitely grab an a'bunadh if you haven't had it. One of my favourites.

Soldato
Aberlour 12 currently on Ocado for £27.99. That's a pretty decent price, right? I nearly bought that bottle last time I topped up, but went for a Benriach 10 instead (which was lovely).

Soldato
IMG_2585.JPG

vX8TU8WaNR2IXSeBh2Tj09mpE00M2VsmBdofYLMZf0AuXoAlSIu6YFvemSKK1JHYiVWXuJ1YYA=w1680-h1050-no

Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2009 (50%abv).

Unpeated. Smooth, silky, clean, smooth barley tones that keep going on... and on... and on...

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently working my way down a bottle of Wild Turkey 101, saw it on a advert at cinema and took a punt for £30. First drink I've had in a while where it needs a drop of water in to take the edge off.

Associate
As the quarter cask is a fair bit stronger than the normal 10 and a quid or two cheaper i decided to get one for xmas, Amazon deliver it in a couple of weeks as they are in back order now.

Any recommendations on something sub £30 thats a good buy? Last was the glenmorangie but was uninspired by it but gets reviewed decently.

Associate
As the quarter cask is a fair bit stronger than the normal 10 and a quid or two cheaper i decided to get one for xmas, Amazon deliver it in a couple of weeks as they are in back order now.

Any recommendations on something sub £30 thats a good buy? Last was the glenmorangie but was uninspired by it but gets reviewed decently.

What are you after? If you can give us an idea of what you like it might be easier to suggest something.

Amazon have some great deals on at the moment -

Auchentoshan AO for £19, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auchentosh...ie=UTF8&qid=1480496784&sr=8-6&keywords=whisky

Glenlivet founders for £19.89: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glenlivet-...ie=UTF8&qid=1480496867&sr=1-2&keywords=whisky

Aberlour 12 for ~£23: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aberlour-Y...ie=UTF8&qid=1480496867&sr=1-9&keywords=whisky

Highland park 12 for ~£23: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Highland-P...e=UTF8&qid=1480496867&sr=1-18&keywords=whisky

Old Pulteney 12 for ~£23: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Old-Pulten...e=UTF8&qid=1480496932&sr=1-27&keywords=whisky

Waitrose (and probably other supermarkets) have Nikka from the barrel for £31 (50cl bottle) if you want something a bit more exotic. From the above I don't think you can go wrong with the Aberlour 12. Read some reviews, reddit r/scotch has an archive google document with all the community reviews that you can average for a particular drink.

Back
Top Bottom