The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
If you have an M&S sparks card I just added a 20% off instore whisky!

I actually went out at lunchtime to find a bottle for this evening as having haggis because I can....didn't see anything I wanted so came back to find the 20% off!!

So. I'll be off to M&S after work to select something!

Soldato
I'd been looking at the Arbelour 18yr old or 16yr old double cask.

Have you tried A'bunadh or the 12 year Non-chill filtered? I've only had 12 year double cask myself, but I hear everywhere that those first two are the best and trump all the older age statement Aberlour varieties, not to mention being cheaper too.

Soldato
Well, have had a few variations recently... Glenmorangie nectar d'or was a nice present from my boss... Bruclaiddich laddie 10 is a new favourite I think, classic laddie is pretty bloody good too - sampled one of the octomore just about removed my mouth linings!
Also got some glengoyne 18 but not really fired into that yet, just a wee taster.
Was at Kingsbarns last week too, had some of their spirit, 63.3℅ - had to pick up my head when leaving!

Associate
Got a bottle of Hibiki 12 years yesterday, normally I've not gone for anything more expensive than your el cheapo famous grouse/grants...

What's the best way to serve/enjoy this? Tempteratures, etc..

Soldato
Friends of mine bought me a Jura 10 for Christmas. Tried it last night, was very nice actually! I don't know why but my expectations were low :o

Permabanned
Got a bottle of Hibiki 12 years yesterday, normally I've not gone for anything more expensive than your el cheapo famous grouse/grants...

What's the best way to serve/enjoy this? Tempteratures, etc..

I like Hibiki as follows:-

60ml Hibiki
2 Ice Cubes
Served in a heavy crystal tumbler.

Associate
If anyone fancies some cheap (£23.50) Ardbeg 10 you might get lucky at your local Tesco. Stores in both Aberdeen and Rochdale had 5 bottles each and I'm now well stocked.

Soldato
Friends of mine bought me a Jura 10 for Christmas. Tried it last night, was very nice actually! I don't know why but my expectations were low :o

I've been drinking a fair bit of Jura 10 recently. I found I had two unopened bottles. I opened one for a hipflask for a wedding, and found out that it was quite nice. I too had low expectations, and have had it before and remembered it to be pretty meh. However, it went down nicely and have had a few drams in the evening. Very easy drinking, but with a bit more body than something from Speyside.

Don't think I'd ever buy a bottle or a dram in a pub, but certainly a fine enough weekday dram.

Soldato
Whisky recommendation?

Hey,

I'm far from a alcohol snob, only recently started enjoying 'nicer' beers for example.

I have been enjoying the occasional whisky these days and was looking for a recommendation for a nice yet non bank breaking one to have around the house for when the notion takes.

Something 30 quidish and easily bought in the likes of Morrison's would be grand :)

Thanks

Soldato
Hey,

I'm far from a alcohol snob, only recently started enjoying 'nicer' beers for example.

I have been enjoying the occasional whisky these days and was looking for a recommendation for a nice yet non bank breaking one to have around the house for when the notion takes.

Something 30 quidish and easily bought in the likes of Morrison's would be grand :)

Thanks

Ah, you're in Glasgow. Get down to Good Spirits Company and chat with them. They always have around 12 bottles open and happy to share them and give you some great tips.
Plus, they do regular tasting nights which are great fun and great value. Six drams, £15 - £25, and a talk through them all. It's not pretentious, it's fun and you usually get quite drunk.

Soldato
Ah, you're in Glasgow. Get down to Good Spirits Company and chat with them. They always have around 12 bottles open and happy to share them and give you some great tips.
Plus, they do regular tasting nights which are great fun and great value. Six drams, £15 - £25, and a talk through them all. It's not pretentious, it's fun and you usually get quite drunk.

That sounds like an awesome idea, I can think of a few people I'll pitch the idea to!

Thanks!

Also been looking back on this thread (which i never knew existed!) and found a few potential ones to look for tonight in Morrisons :)

Soldato
Highland Park 12 sounds ideal for you. It's an ideal 'starter' single malt if you ask me, well balanced, reasonably well bodied with a hint of peat but nothing to blow your ears off. And it's over 20% off at Morrison's, £25 down from £32. Have at it.

Associate

I've been drinking a fair bit of Jura 10 recently. I found I had two unopened bottles. I opened one for a hipflask for a wedding, and found out that it was quite nice. I too had low expectations, and have had it before and remembered it to be pretty meh. However, it went down nicely and have had a few drams in the evening. Very easy drinking, but with a bit more body than something from Speyside.

Don't think I'd ever buy a bottle or a dram in a pub, but certainly a fine enough weekday dram.

I bought my dad a bottle of Jura 10 for Christmas, I have never tried it. I guess I will have to pop round and see him ;)

Also got myself a bottle of Jura Superstition as I really enjoyed that last time I had a bottle.

Soldato
Spent Friday night sampling some of Douglas Laing's offerings.
A friend gets a load of us together once a month for tastings and we were graced with the presence of Jan Beckers, Douglas Laing's brand ambassador. He talked us through each one as well as a few stories and it was a great night. There were some food pairings as well and was a good 2 hours well spent.
We then spent the next 5 hours trying to make a dent in the bottles people had left behind (deliberately) for the past year.

In order of preference...
Big Peat - Islay (ordered this one but my missus won't appreciate it come bedtime)
Rock Oyster - Islands (we got to keep this bottle as it was the group favourite)
Timorous Beastie - Highlands.
Scallywag - Speyside.
Old Epicurean - Lowlands.

One of the brand reps was present too so we got a 10% discount to use at drinks21 (valid that weekend only) and a sample bottle of Nomad (which I am about to try).
It was also a chance to pick up a club bottling of this (custom label on ours with all the necessary info) for a lot less than what is advertised. Its really nice too, there may even be a few bottles left from the 30 he got.

Soldato
I'm back on my usual favourite, Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I haven't had a bottle in a while and got one for Christmas, and I've missed it! It's such a complex whisky for the price. I also received a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask, which is finished off in rum barrels. That's a lovely whisky as well!

And I'm still making my way through my bottle of 30yr Laphroaig. It's still as good as ever!

Back
Top Bottom