The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
I'm back on my usual favourite, Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I haven't had a bottle in a while and got one for Christmas, and I've missed it! It's such a complex whisky for the price. I also received a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask, which is finished off in rum barrels. That's a lovely whisky as well!

And I'm still making my way through my bottle of 30yr Laphroaig. It's still as good as ever!

Managed to get a bottle of QC for £24 off amazon a few months back, couldn't believe my luck. Has lasted me forever too, so potent!

Soldato
Got a voucher for my birthday so was going to put it towards a nice bottle - was thinking £50 limit.

Last bottle I had was an Ancnon 12yo which I thought was lovely. I was considering an Arberlour 12yo non-chilled filtered this time around (which can be had for a bit cheaper than 50) but open to suggestions around the 50 mark.

Soldato
Well, I did a bit of reading and 2 whiskies jumped out at me, couldn't decide so bought them both for a little over £60. So instead of 1 bottle for £50, I got 2 for £60. I went for these:

Glen Grant 10yo - for the price it is very well reviewed and recommended just about everywhere I looked. I haven't tried too many Speyside whiskys either.

Four Roses Small Batch - because I love a good bourbon and I'm yet to try this one. By all accounts it comes highly recommended.

Soldato
I went to a whisky tasting organised by Birmingham Whisky today. Lots of excellent whisky to try, made a list of the ones I got a sample of. Good day out if anyone's thought of doing it.

I'm really a fan of the Ardmore so started with something I like, then I just tried everything I'd never had or heard of. Some great stuff, now to see how they're priced online..

95H7NIjl.png.jpg

Soldato
Bought some Johnny walker Red label from asda as it was on offer, horrible stuff. Has that twang to it that bells & teachers has. Does the blue and black label have the same sort of taste? That twang to it, if you know what I'm talking about.

Soldato
Bought some Johnny walker Red label from asda as it was on offer, horrible stuff. Has that twang to it that bells & teachers has. Does the blue and black label have the same sort of taste? That twang to it, if you know what I'm talking about.
I've not had Red, but I know what you mean and they don't. Black is definitely worth the price over Red (£25 most places), Blue is a different matter (£100+).

Associate
Red is a mixer drink aimed at the international market. Black is the best value from the JW range, it's drinkable neat and is inoffensive, it can also often be had in the £22-£25 range which is not tooo bad, although you can sometimes get Old Pulteney on offer for the same amount and that is a much better whisky.

Associate
Red is a mixer drink aimed at the international market. Black is the best value from the JW range, it's drinkable neat and is inoffensive, it can also often be had in the £22-£25 range which is not tooo bad, although you can sometimes get Old Pulteney on offer for the same amount and that is a much better whisky.

For me the best cheap blend is Ballantines. I was very impressed with a bottle of 9 year old Bowmore that I picked up for £15 in Asda. Old Pulteney is well regarded but to my taste it's awful. I've tried some of the older expressions and they're just as bad. Saltiness just doesn't work for me in a whisky but I guess some could love it the same as I do peat flavours.

Associate
Just ordered some Suntory Yamazaki Distiller's Reserve & Suntory Hibiki

The Yamazaki has been my favorite to date at the ~£50 mark and not seen any on the shelves over the last 6 months or so. Both the rainforest and whisky exchange limiting to 1 per customer at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom