Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
Spilled an entire pint of juice into my MacBook Air :( silly me. Living with parents without accidental damage cover (not that I’d ask) and no idea when we’ll be moving to our own house so… £780 for replacing basically everything bar the case. The water even got into the screen :(

Soldato
Spilled an entire pint of juice into my MacBook Air :( silly me. Living with parents without accidental damage cover (not that I’d ask) and no idea when we’ll be moving to our own house so… £780 for replacing basically everything bar the case. The water even got into the screen :(

I can only imagine what a pint of juice would do to my insides, let alone your Mac

Man of Honour
I just reluctantly went and bought a Air M1 - I bought it for one single reason and that's onboarding iphones into MDM which can only be done using a MAC. Havent opened it just yet but Apple, really? forced to have a Mac to onboard an iphone, total shambles, even worse if you want to onboard their laptops you have to have an apple phone. Phones to onboard laptops, laptops to onboard phones... Smart way to force you into the ecosystem.

Edit: Perhaps its because im a windows user but im instantly finding stuff about it that I dont like :(

Last edited:
Associate
I just reluctantly went and bought a Air M1 - I bought it for one single reason and that's onboarding iphones into MDM which can only be done using a MAC. Havent opened it just yet but Apple, really? forced to have a Mac to onboard an iphone, total shambles, even worse if you want to onboard their laptops you have to have an apple phone. Phones to onboard laptops, laptops to onboard phones... Smart way to force you into the ecosystem.

Edit: Perhaps its because im a windows user but im instantly finding stuff about it that I dont like :(
It is very annoying, however it's not the only way.
You can get your VAR or vendor details entered into Apple Business Manager and they can add the device into their for you, from Apple Business Manager you can then import into Intune, airwatch etc.
If you are doing just the odd phone bought from Apple, you'll need a mac...

Man of Honour
It is very annoying, however it's not the only way.
You can get your VAR or vendor details entered into Apple Business Manager and they can add the device into their for you, from Apple Business Manager you can then import into Intune, airwatch etc.
If you are doing just the odd phone bought from Apple, you'll need a mac...

I had a meeting with our account manager at vodafone and it's something to do with the billing platform we are on that they cant supply them ready setup on apple business manger (they apparently have two different platforms). So yea macbook air it is im afraid. Got around 24 devices to setup plus some byod devices and plenty of android.

Man of Honour
Just a case of you aren't used to it. I'm a macOS user and have to use Windows 10 almost daily and it infuriates me. :D

No doubt - Not sure if I will need to keep it at all after this is done but we shall see :) So far all I have done is set it up and play around for 10 mins. Might give it another play later today.

Man of Honour
No doubt - Not sure if I will need to keep it at all after this is done but we shall see :) So far all I have done is set it up and play around for 10 mins. Might give it another play later today.
Learn gestures and have a look at @Feek’s software thread. Something like Rectangle suits Windows users a lot for window management.

Soldato
As mentioned it just takes some getting used to. Once you are acquainted with the gestures and keyboard shortcuts it is a much better system than Windows.
The only thing I miss from windows is the convenient window snapping - but there is software that can be downloaded for macOS for this.

Soldato

thats fair - i was given a mac for work in 2019 and recently got an M1 - macs are good at some things but in a lot of ways they still infuriate me, and if i had a choice i would always choose windows.
It is pretty fast though this M1 chip.

Soldato
Evening all,

Rather late to the party, but I'm about to start an MBA and bought a 13" Macbook Air. I'm terrified of scratching it. Can anyone recommend any skins like Dbrand from the UK? I can see lots but I'm really not sure what's good and what's not? I'm looking for something simple; not a weird marble pattern or something.

Thanks in advance :)

dirtychinchilla

Associate
Evening all,

Rather late to the party, but I'm about to start an MBA and bought a 13" Macbook Air. I'm terrified of scratching it. Can anyone recommend any skins like Dbrand from the UK? I can see lots but I'm really not sure what's good and what's not? I'm looking for something simple; not a weird marble pattern or something.

Thanks in advance :)

dirtychinchilla
The feeling of worry goes away after a while, but I used Xtreme Skins on my MBA, in just a plain blue. I didnt bother with the inside stickers as they are fiddly and a pain. Its been on mine well over a year now and hasnt peeled off or anything like that.

Soldato
The feeling of worry goes away after a while, but I used Xtreme Skins on my MBA, in just a plain blue. I didnt bother with the inside stickers as they are fiddly and a pain. Its been on mine well over a year now and hasnt peeled off or anything like that.

Thanks! I have stopped caring to some extent, but I did buy a nice sleeve for it and it lives in there. Just don't really want to spend £33 more

Soldato
Question for the MacBook Air owners. Is the base 8GB RAM enough to run Office 365 comfortably ? I have a "family" 5 user subscription so assume I can just run one of the copies on a Mac.

I'm looking the base M1 model (8GB RAM, 256 SSD) for my oldest as her existing laptop is having battery life problems and she's also complaining its heavy (a 15" dell). She's at University studying law, so I don't think she's going to need any serious horsepower and, as far as I'm aware, browsing, writing essays and watching netflix/prime are going to be her main uses outside of note taking in lectures.

I'm coming from Windows and so feeling 16Gb is the minimum these days, but no experience of Apple at all, other than having a WTF! moment when seeing they want 200 quid for 8 to 16 gig upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom