Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
They are chunky, but it's a 16in laptop.

Between the new 16 and the old 16 there is only around 100g in it, not sure it should be a dealbreaker for anybody upgrading from the old one?

Soldato
Is the footprint of the Intel 16 and M1 Pro 16 not the same - save for the bevel/taper at the edges?
I can't say I noticed a massive change going from one to the other. If anything I prefer the newer design because it digs in less than the sharper edges of the Intel model so is both easier to carry and use on the lap.

Soldato
Is the footprint of the Intel 16 and M1 Pro 16 not the same - save for the bevel/taper at the edges?
I can't say I noticed a massive change going from one to the other. If anything I prefer the newer design because it digs in less than the sharper edges of the Intel model so is both easier to carry and use on the lap.
Yes, you are correct. It's more the thickness that's changed and giving people that feeling of chunkiness I guess?

Associate
Yes, you are correct. It's more the thickness that's changed and giving people that feeling of chunkiness I guess?
Yea, it’s been squared off. To be fair though, the Intel ones were severely under-cooled in favour of design. Even for an AMD CPU it wouldn’t have been great.

For those who need the consistent performance, the extra size is probably a minor trade off.

Man of Honour
I've noticed some very minor creaking from the case when moving my 14" Pro around. Not sure if it's connected but Bluetooth can play up at times, I have to switch it off and on again or restart the whole laptop.

Soldato
Just ordered a 14" MBP for £1735. I know I should probably have waited for the M2, but the M1 is more than enough for what I need and I can see a big price hike coming with the M2 version. I'd be shocked if the base model is less than £2100 when it arrives

Associate
Just ordered a 14" MBP for £1735. I know I should probably have waited for the M2, but the M1 is more than enough for what I need and I can see a big price hike coming with the M2 version. I'd be shocked if the base model is less than £2100 when it arrives
Agreed, I also just got the 14" MBP, and I can see the new M2 version adding at least 200 pounds per spec, maybe more.

Soldato
I've had mine a few days now and it is definitely enough machine for me! I'll be shipping off my 27" 5k iMac tonight and swapping the desk space for a 32" 4K LG screen (the one with the monitor arm out of the box). Hopefully it's not too much of a downgrade. Would have loved a 5K monitor but my budget sadly couldn't stretch that far :(

Soldato
My work 16” arrived today and it is a behemoth. Glad I got the 14” as my personal device.
It certainly has a reassuring heft to it :p
I guess it comes down to your screen size preference/needs.
Personally I find the larger screen indispensable and am happy to carry around a heavier device - although that said it rarely makes a journey longer than from the home office to the living room.

Conversely I can see how the 14 is ideal for those who value portability and intend to have it hooked up to a monitor for the vast majority of their work.

Man of Honour
My work one is nearly always hooked up to a monitor, it's more of a desktop but I do use the built in screen as a second screen. My personal one mainly lives in the kitchen and not attached, it's perfect for that and I dock it to the monitor when required. The work one is going to be ideal when I'm on the road, ie, hotel rooms, in clients offices etc. Best of both worlds for me.

Back
Top Bottom